2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
We might not have a first round pick but we clearly still need more talent.
Unusually our finishing position has nothing to do with any of our draft picks this year.
We have north Melbournes priority picks in round 2 and 3.
We have Carlton’s 3rd Rounder
We have norths 4th rounder.

If north were to win the spoon or finish bottom 2 or 3 it’s not that bad of a hand.
We would have something like pick 20/21 and pick 38/39.
So let’s deathride north hard here.

Bastyy Chris25
Any early indicators of who might be in our range?

Really depends if we go for Buller in the MSD?
Otherwise Edwards at Peel, but is he only a ruckman?
Getting Buller means we can go pinpoint the draft to what is missing rather that BA.
The success of Cameron should be a reminder.
Clay Hall appears to be plug and play, but this all changes if the WA boys
dominate in U18’s.
Small forward is another priority.

Really depends if we go for Buller in the MSD?
Otherwise Edwards at Peel, but is he only a ruckman?
Getting Buller means we can go pinpoint the draft to what is missing rather that BA.
The success of Cameron should be a reminder.
Clay Hall appears to be plug and play, but this all changes if the WA boys
dominate in U18’s.
Small forward is another priority.
I don’t see us going for Buller in the MSD - that’s another tall forward in development.
We’d then have
Tabs
Amiss
Kuek
Treacy
Benning?
Buller
Unless the clubs knows one or both of Kuek and Treacy is gone end of the year

I don’t see us going for Buller in the MSD - that’s another tall forward in development.
We’d then have
Tabs
Amiss
Kuek
Treacy
Benning?
Buller
Unless the clubs knows one or both of Kuek and Treacy is gone end of the year
Buller could play down back.
Tabs is finished, Benning is years away.
Buller’s contested marking is something we lack ATM.

Given that we should have salary cap room with Fyfe’s contract expiring, we should have some headroom to go after a free agent.

Although if any of the FAs have watched us play this year, convincing them to come here could be a tough ask!

Given that we should have salary cap room with Fyfe’s contract expiring, we should have some headroom to go after a free agent.

Although if any of the FAs have watched us play this year, convincing them to come here could be a tough ask!
There's good coffee and fish & chips in Freo.

Swanbourne beach is just down the road too. :peach:

Given Tabs is out, I think Buller makes sense if he is ready to play now. The problem with our developing talls is none do well for Peel (tbf, Buller probably won't either since they move the ball like Freo) and none really are no1s.

Clearly they want to protect Amiss more and we could use someone on the bailout out of defence and down the line. No idea if he can do those things.

Given Tabs is out, I think Buller makes sense if he is ready to play now. The problem with our developing talls is none do well for Peel (tbf, Buller probably won't either since they move the ball like Freo) and none really are no1s.

Clearly they want to protect Amiss more and we could use someone on the bailout out of defence and down the line. No idea if he can do those things.
I think buller could meet your remit as he is 199cm, moves well and is an excellent mark. His kicking for goal however is very hit and miss on the handful of games I have seen him play. Still on 21 yrs of age if I recall correctly.

I think buller could meet your remit as he is 199cm, moves well and is an excellent mark. His kicking for goal however is very hit and miss on the handful of games I have seen him play. Still on 21 yrs of age if I recall correctly.
Surely you remember Tabs kicking when first drafted?
The issue with Tabs is that he is one positional.
The further down the field the more you worry about his field kicking.
Too slow to move the ball on, you know it’s a side kick 15m.
In the end his greatest attribute, his
tank is done by injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we looking any chance to get Luker Kentfield?

Made his league debut last week for Subi after 2 good Colts games. I noticed him in the Colts last year and he's a very impressive size and can play! Reminds me of a young Tom Hawkins.

Are we looking any chance to get Luker Kentfield?

Made his league debut last week for Subi after 2 good Colts games. I noticed him in the Colts last year and he's a very impressive size and can play! Reminds me of a young Tom Hawkins.
Is he in the national draft or an overage for the MSD?

Don’t see Buller getting too freo pick unfortunately

Buller has had one good game (where he kicked 4 goals) for the season; despite the West Australian hype I just don't see him getting drafted on the performance of the 1 game. If anything, you could argue that Kuek who is already on our list has been as an effective prospect across his 20 WAFL games (1.3 goals a game) than Buller is on his 40 (1.4 goals a game) as a forward with some rucking. Kuek has also had a four goal game for the season as well and IMO is more athletic than Buller, which is obviously key as well for playing AFL.

Buller has had one good game (where he kicked 4 goals) for the season; despite the West Australian hype I just don't see him getting drafted on the performance of the 1 game. If anything, you could argue that Kuek who is already on our list has been as an effective prospect across his 20 WAFL games (1.3 goals a game) than Buller is on his 40 (1.4 goals a game) as a forward with some rucking. Kuek has also had a four goal game for the season as well and IMO is more athletic than Buller, which is obviously key as well for playing AFL.
Yeh I still think he'll get picked up before freo pick

He'd be fringe pick in the MSD at best imo.

His athleticism is poor compared to the majority of KPFs that are drafted. That would be enough for AFL clubs to have serious doubts over whether he'd make it at AFL level.

Not saying he definitely won't make it but they'll be 10+ players with greater upside and also more likely to make it. We should be discussing whether he'd be worth a shot with our second selection (if we have one) not our first.

There's also an issue at Peel for KPFs and what that means for the development of our young KPFs. There's too many down there already imo, especially when you throw the two rucks into the mix and their performances and probably their development is suffering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back