Universal Love 2023 Doig Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad for Springa and Peter Mann.
Seeing the clips of Mann brings back memories of just how good he was.Sadly injury, a foot injury I think, ruined his career. Could have been planta facitis(or how ever you spell it)which I don't think was recognised back then.

The Doig like most bnf rewards playing and consistency. You need to play well every week to get high in the votes
James Aish played 20 games but was no where to be seen on the count.

Curious where people see him atm.

He isn't an elite gamebreaker but isnt horrible either.

Very vanilla for a guy picked 7th in the draft.

Makes you wonder what Brisbane saw him back in 2013 to pick him there. He is a solid player that has forged a decent career but looking at him Pick 7 in his draft class seems way overs.

Got it - I don't think Pearce or Freddy demonstrated those traits this season. Switta came very good late.

I suppose it can be viewed as a reflection of a very poor season.
Freddy I agree with, also important to note, it's votes for "playing your role" not impact etc so that's why someone like Switta gets high marks (for the same reason Champion Data loves him).

Makes you wonder what Brisbane saw him back in 2013 to pick him there. He is a solid player that has forged a decent career but looking at him Pick 7 in his draft class seems way overs.

I think Jlo loves him. No regular position which probably hurts him but a Mr Fix it which plugged into different roles to fix problems.

I don't think he'll ever stand out but you'd notice if he's not there.

Got it - I don't think Pearce or Freddy demonstrated those traits this season. Switta came very good late.

I suppose it can be viewed as a reflection of a very poor season.
The biggest difference between the measurements are supporters perceptions of who played well / influenced a game vs how the coaches viewed their game, which presumably has a much higher rating on how well they performed the role they've been asked to.

Luke Ryan is an example where clearly the coaches feel he is playing his role and contributing, while others focus on specific things like long kicks to packs.

I think Jlo loves him. No regular position which probably hurts him but a Mr Fix it which plugged into different roles to fix problems.

I'm a big fan of Aish, although I thought his 2023 was down a lot.
He gives a lot of versatility and can football, even if he's never going to be an A grader he's a great player to have on the team.

Lobb, Acres, Griff, Tucker, Meek - all went.
Cerra went.
Even Hogan went (and got kicked out? i don't remember but he was definitely dressed up to go).

Will need to wait for all the photos to come out first though because I know there were a few players in attendance that I didn't see in photos. Though considering Henry is always posing with Sonny/Freddy/Walker and he wasn't in those shots I suspect he skipped it.
that's where I was surprised not to see him, especially not with Sonny

he was amazing before he had that horrible injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gives a lot of versatility and can football, even if he's never going to be an A grader he's a great player to have on the team.
He is very reliable. Tends to split the contest at worst and always makes good decisions.

Like always. It’s weird.

I like his versatility, but he really isn’t a very good winger, much better as the defensive sweeper at stoppages who cleans up everyone else’s mess.
Also think he plays better when given a clear role like “stop Oliver” seems to get a little lost with the defensive “fill a hole to avoid opponents chipping game” but he’s not alone there.

I noticed he wasn’t there in early 2022 when we had a streak of wins. I notice his slow pace for an outside mid. I notice his limited endurance, where he cheats back and forward letting his opposing winger get goal side of him and drag our spare back man out of position, or the opposite when he allows the opposing winger to clog space in our forward line.

I also notice his elite kicking, one touch skills, good decision making and amazing vision.

I’m not convinced he’s best 22 with everyone fit and firing come 2024. He needs to become a better athlete over preseason. I’m not sure he can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back