OzeSparky

Premiership Player
Oct 31, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LEEDS
List of academy players training at each club. Available for 2016 draft
WHO IS TRAINING AT EACH CLUB?Adelaide: Steven Slimming (South Australia), Jonty Scharenberg (South Australia), Peter Ladhams (South Australia)
Brisbane Lions: Ben McGuinness (Tasmania), Jacob Allison (Queensland), Jack Rolls (Queensland)
Carlton: Jordan Gallucci (Vic Metro)
Collingwood: Jack Scrimshaw (Vic Metro)
Essendon: Myles Poholke (Vic Country)
Fremantle: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Western Australia), Noah Hura (Western Australia), Luke Strnadica (Western Australia)
Geelong: Alex Witherden (Vic Country), Hugh McCluggage (Vic Country)
Gold Coast: Brad Scheer (Queensland), Jack Bowes (Queensland)
GWS: Kobe Mutch (NSW-ACT), Will Setterfield (NSW-ACT), Zac Sproule (NSW-ACT), Harrison Macreadie (NSW-ACT),
Hawthorn: Nil
Melbourne: Ben Ainsworth (Vic Country), Jy Simpkin (Vic Country)
North Melbourne: Will Brodie (Vic Country)
Port Adelaide: Brandon Parfitt (Northern Territory), Jack Graham (South Australia), Jordon Sweet (South Australia)
Richmond: Jarrod Berry (Vic Country)
St Kilda: Josh Battle (Vic Country)
Sydney Swans: Jarrod Korewha (Vic Country)
West Coast: Sam Powell-Pepper (Western Australia), Josh Rotham (Western Australia), Jeremy Goddard (Western Australia), Jake Waterman (Western Australia)
Western Bulldogs: Nil

Geelong: Alex Witherden (Vic Country)

As this is basically a draft thread ...

This was a kid who trained with us.... actually sounds like someone that would suit us down to the ground. Not sure how he went in the game , but another St J's kid ... I could live with that... shame we probably will not have a an R1

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...g/news-story/cc03ad9702c25c2a0aefcae5286f887a
TOP Geelong Falcons draft prospect Alex Witherden will take centre stage tonight when the country’s elite junior talent take on Werribee in an exhibition match at the MCG.
Witherden, who has drawn comparisons to James Hird and Brendon Goddard, has been selected in the AFL Academy side to take on the VFL outfit in the curtain raiser to the Collingwood-Richmond clash.
Regarded as a likely first-round draft selection, the St Joseph’s product is elite by foot and composed under pressure, earning ringing endorsements from junior mentor Brenton Sanderson.

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 10.55.05 am.png

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...g/news-story/cc03ad9702c25c2a0aefcae5286f887a

Knowing SW's approach ..I wonder if this put Simpkin on our radar?. Possibly out fro 12 months so who knows maybe he drops

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-18/bad-break-for-top-draft-prospect-jy-simpkin

Bad break for top draft prospect Jy Simpkin

TOP DRAFT prospect Jy Simpkin faces an extended stint on the sidelines after breaking his leg playing for his school side on the weekend.

The classy half-forward suffered a fractured fibula for Scotch College on Saturday, with further examinations on Monday to determine how long he will be out of action.

Simpkin has been tipped as a likely first-round pick at November's NAB AFL Draft after impressing last season as a bottom-ager for Vic Country and the Murray Bushrangers.......

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-18/bad-break-for-top-draft-prospect-jy-simpkin

That certainly has the Darcy Lang type feel to it doesnt it.

Rated Rd1 player breaks leg in final season before draft on back of some above average performances as a younger aged player.

Wells Special is the phrase that leaps to mind.

Although, given we have no RD1 that slide will need to be bigger than Lang's was... even though Lang was considered a reach at the time if I recall correctly.

Go Catters

That certainly has the Darcy Lang type feel to it doesnt it.

Rated Rd1 player breaks leg in final season before draft on back of some above average performances as a younger aged player.

Wells Special is the phrase that leaps to mind.

Although, given we have no RD1 that slide will need to be bigger than Lang's was... even though Lang was considered a reach at the time if I recall correctly.

Go Catters
Harry Morrison might be even more so.

Did an ACL and only came back late last year and was suffered an injury, I think, early this year as well so hasn't played much footy in recent times.

183cm, running half back flanker from Murray.

Plays in a position we require and has had injuries disrupting his junior career.

Black Book him.

:D

The latest Podcast from the club features an longish discussion with Stephen Wells.

As of the time of this recording, Wells has indicated we'll likely head to the draft this year.

Of course, he isn't likely to tip his hand in a public podcast either. :cool:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2016-04-20/podcats-round-5

The latest Podcast from the club features an longish discussion with Stephen Wells.

As of the time of this recording, Wells has indicated we'll likely head to the draft this year.

Of course, he isn't likely to tip his hand in a public podcast either. :cool:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2016-04-20/podcats-round-5

Of course to state the obvious we do go to the draft each year... but when asked about trade heavy or draft heavy... he mentions it would be highly unlikely that we would bring in 4 players from other clubs but we need to be prepared for everything. Open mind but unlikely we will be "doing much other than going to the draft this year." ....

I still think this leaves its a bit open to interpret ...not doing much other than roll up with the picks we have? Not use any of our picks to trade players in but use players and our picks to get earlier picks? (He did sort of mention it was possible to get an R1) Perhaps 1 or 2 players not 4 from other clubs if they are FA?

I suspect they are conscious of not having 2 barren years on the list from that 16 , 17 year in years to come.

If we can somehow get into the draft early again... R1 ..even R1 early as possible .. especially if we can do it without max pain. (I still wonder how our list would look if we had got pick or picks for SJ in the 2014 trade period) At some point in time I suspect we will have to be a little more proactive on players on our players internally. Short term pain for potential long term gain. It seem a long time since we have added a player like Selwood.

Last edited:
How would you see us trading back into the first round Turbocat ? Unless one our top players wants out I can't see how we could manage it or even want to pursue it without damaging our immediate prospects. I think the club would only entertain trading back into the first round if they thought our premiership window was behind us and we're looking at returning to the top 4 after a significant period of time rebuilding.

How would you see us trading back into the first round Turbocat ?

Unless one our top players wants out I can't see how we could manage it or even want to pursue it without damaging our immediate prospects.

I think the club would only entertain trading back into the first round if they thought our premiership window was behind us and we're looking at returning to the top 4 after a significant period of time rebuilding.

S.Wells even raised it in the Podcats so its possible... probable , who knows.

Anyway how to do it ... After last year , Im sure all clubs will be at least talking to the Northern clubs about swapping picks ..if they are really only needing points. If we finish were we hope to our original pick might be 15 thru 18... depending on points required we maybe be able to swap our later picks for a R1. Certainly helps if Pies keep dropping. We currently have Bris R3. There is always a chance of us trading out a player that will get us another R2 or R3 pick. As I said , there will be comp for those picks so certainly no easy get.

I don't think it has to be a top player , although that would be obviously less elaborate and yes to trade out top player when we are in the zone would make one wonder if it improves our team for 2017. However 2017 may not be the only consideration , getting a R1 back then loosens our options up for the future... due to the 2 out of 4 drafts requirement...

Yes apparently so, have heard that we are confident in taking him this year;

Edit: he is a rover - an extremely quick one at that with decent upper body strength
This is interesting that we are going for a 19yo.... You know, some kids take a bit longer to develop, and if he is good enough, then hey, why not... If we can get a couple more players that are AFL grade and are a bit older in the 20yo-24yo bracket by next season then this is great for the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit more on Witherden

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/04-1...gs-in-hunt-for-afl-chance#DDLu7kU12KUvXqT5.97

TAC Cup | Falcon spreads wings in hunt for AFL chance

Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.23.43 am.png
Through his involvement with the academy he got an incredible opportunity to train with Geelong for a fortnight over the summer.

“A big thing I took out of it was that all the Geelong players are extremely professional and approachable,” Witherden said.

“This was the case when Hugh McCluggage and I had nowhere to sit, so Patrick Dangerfield invited us over to his table and we sat down and ate lunch with him and the other boys.

“That just shows what strong leadership traits Geelong have and probably shows why they’ve been such a class act for so many years.”

Geelong Falcons coach Andrew Allthorpe believes the best asset the AFL hopeful has is his decision-making and the way he sees the game, which is why he made it look so easy at half back last season.

“He looks like he’s got plenty of time, has got fantastic composure and picks the best option every time,” Allthorpe said.

“He’s just going to excel in an AFL environment and become a very versatile player.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/04-1...gs-in-hunt-for-afl-chance#qgLEmp5hxHSLKQzc.99

You're pretty enamoured with him Turbo. Is there any footage of him around at the moment?

No mate ..Read the book , haven't seen the movie ;)

All I can say is I keep liking what I hear and what I read. He was in the VC side last year but I can remember if he got games or noticing him.
Next couple of months will give us more in the way of info.. and there will be others that pop up. Unless something changes , AW will probably go before our pick anyway. Seems like he is somewhere in the 15-35 range atpit.

No mate ..Read the book , haven't seen the movie ;)

All I can say is I keep liking what I hear and what I read. He was in the VC side last year but I can remember if he got games or noticing him.
Next couple of months will give us more in the way of info.. and there will be others that pop up. Unless something changes , AW will probably go before our pick anyway. Seems like he is somewhere in the 15-35 range atpit.

A shame that the book is almost always far better than the movie ;-)

How would you see us trading back into the first round Turbocat ? Unless one our top players wants out I can't see how we could manage it or even want to pursue it without damaging our immediate prospects. I think the club would only entertain trading back into the first round if they thought our premiership window was behind us and we're looking at returning to the top 4 after a significant period of time rebuilding.

Picks for points I think. We will have two late thirties picks approx (our own 2nd rounder and Brisbane's 3rd) and with our quality depth making it hard for everyone to get games not everyone will agree to stay, guys who are 25-30 will look to move to weaker clubs for more gametime. Most are under contract but I still think we would accomodate. Could be HS, could be Murdoch, Bews (although we would want to keep him with Enright's age), Smedts etc. We will get a 2nd/3rd rnd pick for one of them somewhere. Package up some combination of those 3 picks to one of the 4 academy clubs for a late first rounder. Given the 'you must take 2 first rounders over 4 years' rule I think this is the obvious play. We can afford to burn some of our later picks to do it if we intend to elevate Ruggles anyway.

If you are talking first rounder for one player on their own I agree we probably wouldn't trade anyone from our best 22.
Of the senior guys out of contract:
Enright
Bartel
Lonergan
Menegola (not sure if on one year or two year deal as he's over the age requirement for the standard deal)
Stanley
Clark
Vardy
Menzel
McCarthy
Cowan
Luxford

The first three are retire or stay with us they won't go anywhere.

You would think Menzel and McCarthy will stay with us given all the injuries we have stuck with them through. Cowan is probably gone and Luxford probably stays but has no trade value anyway. Menegola is too early to call.

Clark is a top level talent but due to his injuries and other issues no one is giving up a first rounder for him-he is worth more to us than he is on the market.

Stanley is definitely worth a first rounder and to a lesser degree Vardy (although I think it's ambitious for the latter) but given he has not long arrived I think he will want to stay and given how thin our ruck stocks are and have been in the past no way would we trade a ruck.

So I agree it is unlikely we trade any one player who nets a first rounder. The wildcard in this is Motlop-he is out of contract next year and a free agent-I wouldn't rule out trade offers being looked at but contract negotiations would have to go fairly south this year for that to be possible-the club would definitely want to retain him and I think he wants to stay.

Taking a very unemotional view on Mots - he could very well leave.

All this is totally hypothetical and has no real world basis.

He's timed his contract to the FA period of the new CBA perfectly. If we have success this or next year, our SC will be topped out.
Pending his form, which at its consistent best is A grade, he's attract more offers - and good ones - externally from teams looking to upgrade.

I could easily see him choosing that path - especially knowing that GFC wont be paying big overs or even market value in their structure.

Again, Im not saying he will do this - but of the players on the list that IMO could go that way, he seems to me to fit that bill.

Go Catters

... So I agree it is unlikely we trade any one player who nets a first rounder. ....

Its like the draft/trade catch 22. The players that you want to trade are not wanted by you due to their lack of performance and ie probably not wanted by someone else..till they perform and suddenly others may be interested yet once they perform you don't want to trade them... Stanley is a good example.

So unless its some young highly rated kid still doing his time in the 2's , your trade appeal is low if you sweeting it out in the VFL. Its why clubs fatten the calf , hoping they show a bit in some dead rubber game in the pre finals rounds.

Clubs rarely want to take on other clubs list cloggers , its why GWS appeals because they have less doubt that their is talent that just is not getting a chance.

The most tradable player we would have at the moment would probably be Murdoch. His highs would memorable and he has done it in finals games.

Something we have that the Academy clubs may be interested in , depending on how players they have in their pipeline.. is our 2017 picks...early indication say the pipeline looks tasty. Trade out 2017 R2,R3 etc and we may get an other R1... but if 2017 is looking a very good draft , should we? Listening to Road to the Draft this week , it gives one the impression that 2017 is year to perhaps have more picks rather than less.

So at the moment , come draft time , we are starting around P35 - P38 , and probably upgrading Ruggles. History says we will be able to get another pick in the 20-35 range with a trade out ... but it may cost a bit more to get into the R1. The question for team Wells is it worth it.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
List of academy players training at each club. Available for 2016 draft
WHO IS TRAINING AT EACH CLUB?Adelaide: Steven Slimming (South Australia), Jonty Scharenberg (South Australia), Peter Ladhams (South Australia)
Brisbane Lions: Ben McGuinness (Tasmania), Jacob Allison (Queensland), Jack Rolls (Queensland)
Carlton: Jordan Gallucci (Vic Metro)
Collingwood: Jack Scrimshaw (Vic Metro)
Essendon: Myles Poholke (Vic Country)
Fremantle: Sam Petrevski-Seton (Western Australia), Noah Hura (Western Australia), Luke Strnadica (Western Australia)
Geelong: Alex Witherden (Vic Country), Hugh McCluggage (Vic Country)
Gold Coast: Brad Scheer (Queensland), Jack Bowes (Queensland)
GWS: Kobe Mutch (NSW-ACT), Will Setterfield (NSW-ACT), Zac Sproule (NSW-ACT), Harrison Macreadie (NSW-ACT),
Hawthorn: Nil
Melbourne: Ben Ainsworth (Vic Country), Jy Simpkin (Vic Country)
North Melbourne: Will Brodie (Vic Country)
Port Adelaide: Brandon Parfitt (Northern Territory), Jack Graham (South Australia), Jordon Sweet (South Australia)
Richmond: Jarrod Berry (Vic Country)
St Kilda: Josh Battle (Vic Country)
Sydney Swans: Jarrod Korewha (Vic Country)
West Coast: Sam Powell-Pepper (Western Australia), Josh Rotham (Western Australia), Jeremy Goddard (Western Australia), Jake Waterman (Western Australia)
Western Bulldogs: Nil

Im seeing his name bopping up a bit, kicking a few goals too (think it was 5 last week) wondering what ppl think who have seen him live.

Its like the draft/trade catch 22. The players that you want to trade are not wanted by you due to their lack of performance and ie probably not wanted by someone else..till they perform and suddenly others may be interested yet once they perform you don't want to trade them... Stanley is a good example.

So unless its some young highly rated kid still doing his time in the 2's , your trade appeal is low if you sweeting it out in the VFL. Its why clubs fatten the calf , hoping they show a bit in some dead rubber game in the pre finals rounds.

Clubs rarely want to take on other clubs list cloggers , its why GWS appeals because they have less doubt that their is talent that just is not getting a chance.

The most tradable player we would have at the moment would probably be Murdoch. His highs would memorable and he has done it in finals games.

Something we have that the Academy clubs may be interested in , depending on how players they have in their pipeline.. is our 2017 picks...early indication say the pipeline looks tasty. Trade out 2017 R2,R3 etc and we may get an other R1... but if 2017 is looking a very good draft , should we? Listening to Road to the Draft this week , it gives one the impression that 2017 is year to perhaps have more picks rather than less.

So at the moment , come draft time , we are starting around P35 - P38 , and probably upgrading Ruggles. History says we will be able to get another pick in the 20-35 range with a trade out ... but it may cost a bit more to get into the R1. The question for team Wells is it worth it.

Agree with all that. I do agree that of the guys we can afford to lose Murdoch has the most currency. He is in bad form at the moment but he is durable, his best is damaging scoreboard wise and a lot of teams need an outside runner of his type, whereas for us with Cockatoo etc coming through we could probably afford to lose him if the return was reasonable. That said I am a fan ofMurdoch and I hope that after a couple of games in the vfl he finds his best form again.

Has anyone seen Campbell Lane from Oakleigh Chargers? His TAC numbers have been impressive this season, especially the past few weeks. All I know is he is a former gun cricketer. It seems to me he was playing off a HBF earlier in the year and is now playing in the mid and getting 30+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back