List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
bit more from cochrane, this time on prestia.
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...e/news-story/c366de5fbb13160c3413dbd788f160b1
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...e/news-story/c366de5fbb13160c3413dbd788f160b1

Cochrane said he believed out-of-contract midfielder Dion Prestia’s preference was also to go to a Melbourne club but remained hopeful the Gold Coast could keep him.

“Dion has been pretty honest. We have had lots of frank and honest conversations with Dion now over a period of time and I think Dion’s preference is to go to Melbourne.

“But Dion will probably only go to Melbourne if he can find a club that he feels is right for him.

“I still remain hopeful that Dion can be retained by the Gold Coast Football Club.”

Another option could be 2017 first round (we are predicted to slide hard next year) + Swallow.

Personally I don't think we would deal Swallow but I think he would be a good fit for you much in the same vein as Cunnington. Also he is a tackling machine.

I would also think that it would anchor Swallow jnr to GC and heavily minimise the risk of him leaving also?

Not sure just spit-ballin' here.
I would go cunnington and your first rounder for JOM and possibly a second rounderso upgrade our pick 24 to pick 10. But cunnington is the sort of player we could really use.. and you've got alot of slow inside mids

was daniel jackson from the tigers elite?
Yupp, ok fair point. No, I don't believe he was.

I do however believe that whichever club you guys deal with in trading JOM. The trade itself will consist of either;

- A future 1st round pick + 1 player (best 3 - 10 at current club)
- A future 1st round pick + 2 players (fringe in the best 18 - 25 at current club)

I'm lead to believe that as per Cochrane's comments regarding not wanting picks that he is talking about 2016 pick as you have 6 in the top 35. Completely understandable. Not sure how you're sitting for future picks though, could entice?

As for "Elite" (using champion data as a reference here). Eligible Victorian players below.

Hawthorn:
- Burgoyne. No.
- Mitchell. No.
- Roughhead. No.
- Birchall. Can't believe he is considered elite?
- Gibson. No.
- Rioli. No.
- Breust. Maybe? Would Hawks be willing though?
- Gunston. Maybe? Would Hawks be willing though?

Richmond:
- Deledio. Maybe? I think it'd be a win for Richmond though.
- Riewoldt. Can't see him leaving.
- Edwards. Wouldn't consider elite.
- Rance. Can't see him leaving.

Western Bulldogs:
- Murphy. No.
- Wood. No.
- Bontempelli. No.
- Boyd. No.

Geelong:
- Selwood. No.
- Taylor. No.
- Dangerfield. No.

North Melbourne:
- Brent Harvey. No contract offered, I believe he will retire.
- Goldstein. Not going anywhere.

Collingwood:
- Pendlebury. No.

According to CD Melbourne, Essendon, St. Kilda and Carlton do not have any players in the "elite" bracket.

After reviewing the above I think it'll be very difficult for you to manage to snare any of the above away. Sorry, but I don't think you'll be getting an "elite" player in return....

Goldstein / Tarrant / Ziebell / Brown are untouchable, they won't be going anywhere.
This is probably the biggest issue. It's a question of who is actually gettable. Money talks but obviously some players would just flat out refuse a trade to the Suns. It's about finding a high quality player that would be willing to head up north.

The Suns enquiring about Nat Fyfe is no different to GWS enquiring about Scott Pendlebury back in 2011/12. Highly unlikely but there's no harm in enquiring to see if there is the slightest possibility.

It's also situational. I'm not sure Collingwood would have traded Heath Shaw if he hadn't lost the plot in a finals match against Port and hit Angus Monfries. For that reason, I think that's why Stringer is getting a mention in this thread. He's been sent to the VFL on the eve of the finals so fans feel like it could be their chance to pounce on an extremely talented individual.

Gary Ablett speaks about Jaeger O'Meara leaving the Suns & former Essendon champ Mark McVeigh believes two 1st round picks is very fair

Last edited:
I'm kinda with 'Since 2001' comment.....Hawks would almost offer 2 firsts. Club probably play hard for a player on top....I dunno...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have a feeling Whitecross, but he comes with alot of risks so is only steaknives.

Qld boy, 26, mid/utility and has managed to re establish himself as a best 22 player again after his knee.

Ive always been a fan but if it's for O'Meara I'll be fine with it.

Tbh I think both of Hawks 1st and Wx, is is still unders his max value.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I would happily take Breust and Shiels for JOM
Bruest is rate highly internationally, getting both would be a hard bargain. Would love to see you guys come out with a win like that. Just not at the expense of my Hawks hahaha.

Just read the rest of this thread so am up-to-date now.

I saw Wx mentioned, and the concerns raised are genuine ones. But also keep in mind he will most likely be cheaper $$$ wise then what he could potentially demand and he would be entirely steaknives.

You could also get involved with the hill trade to move some of your 1st round picks to 2017.

Example trade late 1st or early 2nd to Hawks for a freo or Gws 2017 1st or 2nd.
Or maybe you land a player from freo or Gws instead.

I think the JOM and Prestia situation can be parlayed into some trades and player signings which will improve our results and boost our cattle with guys who can sustain a season on the ground.
Serious salary cap room is lifted and if Clayton and Rocket can get some tough, hardened guys out of favour at other clubs we can build a stronger base instead of relying on these elite guys who hold too many cards. Rocket can develop players so we need some guys who are great but not elite that need more games and can stay fit. I think all the talk about Bowes and Scheer running on for us in 2017 is the same old pipe dream, they will get hurt and will take time to find their way consistently at AFL level regardless of how good they are now, so lets get some seasoned players in at reasonable prices to get some consistency and depth now while we have the chance.
We have enough skilful lanky kids that are fast and show talent what we need is grinders who can find the footy and stand up to seasoned clubs for four quarters, A competitive ruckman will help cover off our midfield and I bet Sexton and Touk can fill some gaps there left by JOM and Prestia while Swallow should be back next year. It all comes down to how we adapt in the trade period and spend our dough so lets hope we get it right and we all may be surprised what takes shape next year

Last edited:
Goldstein / Tarrant / Ziebell / Brown are untouchable, they won't be going anywhere.
Some could argue that if you're a B&F winner then you could be seen as elite. Of which, both Swallow and Cunnington are.
Some could also argue that untouchable players are the elite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im still thinking that:
Hawks 2016 first, Howe, Litherland and WhiteX is a good trade for both parties. pick 15 will be useful. get a good young mid in howe, another hbf to help saad and WhiteX for leadership and experience he is also a dangerous fwd and a steadier down back

Sorry for jumping in guys but was thinking of this trade.
Clearly you will be gaining a lot of first rounders this year so maybe add another one.

Bulldogs first rounder pick 12-14 (depending on this weekend) Dogs third rounder
For
Gold Coast 2 or 3 second rounders

Means you would have up to 4-5 first rounders this year

Hawks fans need to stop trying to include whitecross in a deal his an unrestricted free agent. If he want him we will get him for nothing.

3/4 way trade likely unless hawthorn give up bruest / gunston or smith

Hawks fans need to stop trying to include whitecross in a deal his an unrestricted free agent. If he want him we will get him for nothing.

3/4 way trade likely unless hawthorn give up bruest / gunston or smith
I thought he didn't become a UFA until next year?

stringer has proven he goes alright as a forward, kicked plenty of bags. with lynch, day & 2MP (along with martin hopefully) in our forward line, is stringer the type of player we need? i'd hope we'd be going for a midfielder.
Rotate Ablett and Stringer through the midfield & forward line both could kick 50+ best part is Stringer is only 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back