Match Discussion 2016 - VAFA Premier B Round 6 : 14 May - Fitzroy v Old Brighton

Remove this Banner Ad

Score updates on Twitter aren't making a lot of sense but apparently we trailed behind Old Brighton at Qtr Time but OB were spraying their shots a lot. They were something like 2.5 or 2.6 or something to our 1 or 2 goals.

Early in the 2nd quarter we've kicked a couple of goals early, unsure if Old Brighton have kicked any.

In the womens footy Fitzroy-ACU 17.9.111 knocked over Melbourne University to 0.7.7.

It's an awesome win as we'd got off to a slow start in the comp and broke through for our first win just last week, so essentially mirroring the men's seniors in a way.

It also should be noted that the Mugars are Melbourne Uni's 3rds (or 4ths?). Let me check ...
It's their 3rds.
Melbourne Uni's senior team are in the VFL Womens div.
Their 2nds are in Premier Division of the VWFL. Which has Premier, Divs 1, 2 & 3, and development grades one div below that.
Their 3rds are in Div 3 with our girls. Dependent on other results its actually possible we might leap from 7th & last to equal 2nd on points, but its more likely we snuck up just the 1 or 2 spots.
Our 2nds are in one of the development divs, below Div 3. They're playing at Shepparton today but pigeons aren't instantaneous so the result is not yet known. Things should improve with the National Pigeon Network rollout.

All results to date other than Juniors:
VAFA - Premier B 1st : Fitzroy 15.12.102 defeated Old Brighton 7.12.54.
VAFA - Premier B 2nds : Old Brighton 10.8.68 defeated Fitzroy 5.13.43.
VAFA - Premier B 3rds : Fitzroy 6.12.48 defeated Beaumaris 5.4.34.
VAFA - U19s Section 2 : Fitzroy 17.6.108 defeated Whitefriars 9.4.58.

VWFL - Division 3 : Fitzroy-ACU 17.9.111 defeated Melbourne Uni 0.7.7.
VWFL - Dev North-West : Shepparton v Fitzroy-ACU (no result yet).

Adelaide FL - Div 6 1sts : West Croydon 13.20.98 defeated Fitzroy 5.7.37.
Adelaide FL - Div 6 2nds : West Croydon 30.11.191 defeated Fitzroy 1.4.10.

Northern FL - Div 2 1sts : North Heidelberg 23.13.151 defeated Fitzroy Stars 10.12.72.
Northern FL - Div 2 2nds : North Heidelberg 15.21.111 defeated Fitzroy Stars 6.8.44.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of Politicians and Pickering. W

At the Fitzroy Reds Foundation Poli Mark III lunch President’s table, together with our President Joan , others from the Director team of the local Bendigo Bank sponsor (Rod and Adrian), local Mayor Robert were President Shane and Committee man David representing the Old Brighton Grammarians A.F.C.. David told of the OBG’S loss of 4 players to paying Metropolitan Leagues and 5 significant stalwart retirements from their list of the previous year including their inspirational former captain Jon Perrett following a serious injury incurred whilst playing against OM’s last season.

Since we met them last at South Road in R16, a game Fitzroy should have won (65 to 34 I50’s), OBG’S had won only two games and Fitzroy one. This game therefore would be a bellwether in more than a political sense but an indicator for each Club as to how its season would continue to likely unfold.

The political guests had been arranged by MC Peter Hille, Richard Willingham et al., and the first mentioned having tossed a coin, whilst passing a comment unkind, to the assembled, that the second mentioned could be seen through the glass panels wearing #15 in the Ressies’ moving like a draught- horse, saw the Hon Dan Tehan to the dispatch box first having lost the toss.

Dan is the recently appointed Minister for Veteran’s Affairs, Minister assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC and Minister for Defence Materiel. He was a young university student in 1991 when he left the family homestead at Wappan Station near Mansfield and the Bonnie Doon Football Club to travel to Melbourne, after primary school at St Mary’s and secondary school at Mansfield High, to complete his undergraduate university studies before going to a good University, Monash, to complete a Master of Foreign Affairs (the latter which Hille, faux mistakenly, thought would provide a more salacious expose of political life).He complemented these qualifications with a further Master of International Relations at Kent University.

At the Uni Reds footy club Dan met Peter Hille and Graham Burgin and felt the welcome arms of club football culture that he had known ,though in a more bucolic way, at the Bonnie Doon uphill downhill oval ,as it was then,

He appreciated this acceptance at the Uni Reds, but before making the transition, whilst still playing for Bonnie Doon he recalled having been summoned by Reserves Coach Mick Grimes to a crisis meeting and asked as the then sole University Scholar in the group whether he would address the players and impart some philosophical wisdom to raise their lowly on field performances.

He in perverse undergraduate humour phase (which would raise the wrinkled smile on Hille’s still boyish face) decided to relate the fable, to the Bonnie Doon assembled, of the Desert Island ,“Robinson Crusoe”, the pig ,the monkey and the beautiful yachtswoman rescuer. I’m not sure the BD players thereafter that season were proper “to focus on the pig” in their remaining games rather than the damsel come to the rescue. I’m also sure his “inspirational” fable would not have amused his politician MP mother Marie Tehan who the following year became a minister in the Kennett Government; but who knows what young 20’s student sons are doing at all hours. Just ask some befrazzled Fitzroy parents!

Dan with the benefit of revisionism explained to luncheon attendees that what he was telling the players then, as he and the Government team he says do now, is to ”harness the potential of the Group to head in a unified direction”.

Second to the lectern was the Hon Luke Donnellan Victorian Minister for Roads and Road Safety and Minister for Ports (again MC Hille was mock disappointed when disabused that the later portfolio was not going to lead our guest into giving a dissertation on the intangible benefits and subtle differences in style and flavours of that favourite, of some, after dinner wine).With his minder Craig Cooke in tow the former Xavier boy (1977-84) and Melbourne University Commerce graduate embarked instead on an exposition of a Donnellan family tree root and branch association with the Fitzroy Football club making it clear that the Donnellans’ were a grass roots Fitzroy family. As best I can recall he told us his grandfather was a trainer at the club in the 1930’s his great uncle Steve Donnellan played between 1922 and 1925 including the 1922 4 point premiership winning team against Collingwood .His uncle Ray Donnellan had been a centreman between 1948 and 1951 and Frank Donnellan played the 1933 and 34 seasons with Fitzroy in company with legends Doug Nicholls, Hadyn Bunton and Wilfred Smallhorn.

Hille then drew what he thought was the raffle and announced ‘Green Ticket (sotto voce) Adam Bandt ’ before realising he had confusedly drawn an upcoming election pamphlet and not a raffle ticket at all. All the same the Greens South Australian born Melbourne MP who supports Fremantle is indubitably in need of a win; at least for his footy team.

On the field we had Will Pickering playing his 2nd consecutive senior game this season and only his 24th in the past five seasons having been cursed by injury. Of those games we have won 17 and drawn another and been in winnable positions when he left the field in others. He kicked a majestic first goal to start the team up but in the second quarter again, crushingly for him his coach father and the Roy community, looked to have again pulled a hamstring in a high marking contest. He missed the 2012 Grand Final but I know there is a premiership in him and all the other players he straightens up when he is on the field. Pray to whatever you believe in that his determination to surmount his setbacks is fruitful. He will be the inspiration in absence to defeat top of the ladder Beaumaris next Saturday led by the young brigade Lambert, Ligris and Edwards all of whom are showing consistent good form.

Last edited:
Footnote to womens matches : Fitzroy's senior womens side did indeed shoot up from 7th & last to 2nd position as a result of the win over Melbourne Uni. The gap between 1st & 2nd is tenuous, Gippsland have twice the wins and a lead of 813% :D
Match stats : http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124595157&c=1-3068-0-399010-0&pool=1
Ladder : http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?a=LADDER&compID=399010&c=1-3068-0-0-0

Fitzroy's Seconds apparently copped a loss up against Shepwoolleyton, although the actual scoreline is still to come through. While now 0-4, the team remain clear of bottom spot courtesy of Glen Ordens hatred of scoring - they have picked up a total of 11 points over three rounds and probably didn't get too many against the Bye this past weekend. Bye's pretty miserly.
Ladder (still sans Rd 4) : http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-3068-0-400490-0&pool=1&a=LADDER

I place dental implants. I only do the easy ones, and some of them are really easy to place but I always use a ‘check list’. You often have to cut and raise a ‘window’ of gum so you can see the underlying bone. The day before I do the procedure I write out each cut in the gum I shall make. To use surgical speak, I decide what flap I shall use.

I then use a ‘starter drill’, of which I have several, but I write down which one I plan to use, at what depth I shall drill to, when I shall stop, and place a directional indicator and take an ‘x-ray’. I then use a drill that drills to a certain depth but cannot go any further. I then use drills that widen the hole in the bone but cannot drill any deeper, Once again all these drills are on my check list, and so are used correctly and in the appropriate sequence.

Check lists are the ‘ant’s pants’. They insure that you don’t do anything stupid, careless or without thought.

Unfortunately footy is not played in such a controlled environment. I think it was Napoleon who stated that no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy. He wasn’t as great a general as Scipio or Monash who’s planning generally meant that the opposition didn’t survive first contact with Scipio or Monash’s troops’.

Down at the BSO on Saturday one of our players needed his check list. Young Hugh, in the Twos, went to the three quarter huddle, pushed his mouth guard down his sock, listened to the words of wisdom from Sam and ran back to his position for the start of the last quarter . He did not have his check list on him so he forgot about the mouth guard. Now, you can guess what happened. Out came the ball and Hugh copped a wack in the mouth.

The dental damage was not great but Hugh and I had a quick trip back to the surgery. While we were away the Boys from Old Fitzroy had a great win, and we can look forward to the rest of the season with a bit more confidence.

The day started well for me. Work finished early and so it was down to the BSO to watch the start of the Two’s game. We had a lunch with two politicians and Dan Tehan spoke with affection and some humour of his time training with the Uni Reds.

The senior game did not start well. Brighton were in complete control of the mid field and Fitzroy rarely ventured forward in the first fourty minutes of the match. Our defence stood up with Liga, Greenie and the boys standing up to incessant pressure. Brighton’s entries to the forward line all day could be described as haphazard, bordering on farcical. The few times we got the ball forward Pickers took a few grabs and did not miss.

The score at half time was Brighton 3 8 to Fitzroy 5 1 which gave an accurate picture of the game to that point.

We murdered them in the second half.

Unfortunately Pickers did a hamstring but all the other news is upbeat. Once again we won without Danny B dominating the game. He was a good contributor but a few of the younger players had their best games. Gater dominated the ruck, took several towering marks around the ground (I would like to see him take one below his knees) and went forward and kicked a few goals. He completed a complete performance by chasing down a fleeing Brighton defender (think Ball, Yeah ), much to the pleasure of the Tram Conductors.

Aiden Lambert played his best game for the Roys. He is starting to look an accomplished player at this level. I liked Liga down back, especially early on and with his kicking ability he will now adopt the nick name of the Eastern Distributor, last awarded to Johnny Clark. Baker Minor does not have the frightening ball hunting of his older brother, frightening to any opposition player getting in his way, but seems to have grown several inches in the off season.

I shall do a check list for next Saturday:

· Finish work.

· Drive down to Beaumaris.

· Cheer on the Roys.

· Leave the game early to patch up another dental injury?

· Celebrate another win?

See you all next week.

Go the Roys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back