List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachie Fogarty's ball use by hand and foot are some of the best in this draft from what I've seen and he is actually a pretty good forward. That is why I'd be okay with it.
I'll defer to your greater knowledge of him, but I see a guy who plays more like a mid that won't play mid to any real degree at AFL level. Good to hear about his skills though.

He will be taken by either Freo at 5.. or Coll at 6... but if he does slip through we would pounce for sure...

I have a differing opinion completely.. but time will tell...

The reality is Dal will pick the best player available with our 1st pick...

If D.Fogarty, J.Brander, A.Cerra, A.Brayshaw are available..he will pick them... take it to the bank...

He won't pick the likes of Constable, Clark, Murphy, or even Coffield before them based on a premise it better fits list profile in Nov/17.. since much can change with a list by the time an 18 yo earns regular senior games..

My Top 10 is as follows;

1. Brisbane - Rayner
2. Fremantle - LDU
3. Carlton - Cerra
4. North - Dow
5. Fremantle - D.Fogarty
6. Collingwood - Stephenson
7. Saints - Brayshaw
8. Saints - Coffield
9. Dogs - Brander
10. Blues - Higgins

Hopefully one of Bonar, Murphy, Clark, Constable, Higgins slides to p.16.

Either way, after watching alot of highight clips.. I'm wrapt we've got two picks in the top 16... there are some guns available no doubt..
I, personally, would categorically disagree that Fogarty and Brander are 'best available' picks, but I agree that Dalrymple would likely pull the trigger on a slider if they came our way. I think, in no way, can you consider Coffield a list profile pick for us - he's supremely talented, the best kick in the draft with excellent speed, marking ability and size. Coffield, Cerra and Brayshaw are the ones who I would consider to be of that top class of prospects in this draft.

Urg. Not a fan. Another small sort-of-forward, sort-of-mid isn't really something I'm into.
Lachie Fogarty's ball use by hand and foot are some of the best in this draft from what I've seen and he is actually a pretty good forward. That is why I'd be okay with it.
Lachie Fogarty is the most relentless tackler I've ever seen of a draft prospect, he is a consistent contested ball-winner with outstanding production, good closing speed and proven goalscoring ability. Add to that excellent footskills. I believe it's ridiculous that he's not in mid-first round calculations. He is, like Jade Gresham was in 2015, massively underrated as a prospect who can come into an AFL system and be effective from day 1 with the potential to be a really high-level player, circa Zach Merrett.

Lachie Fogarty is the most relentless tackler I've ever seen of a draft prospect, he is a consistent contested ball-winner with outstanding production, good closing speed and proven goalscoring ability. Add to that excellent footskills. I believe it's ridiculous that he's not in mid-first round calculations. He is, like Jade Gresham was in 2015, massively underrated as a prospect who can come into an AFL system and be effective from day 1 with the potential to be a really high-level player, circa Zach Merrett.

He is going under the radar a fair bit I think. Lachie hasn't put a foot wrong all year either playing as a goal kicking mid in the TAC cup and against the VFL side for the AFL Academy or as a half forward at the Champs.

His ferocity to tackle and pressure reminds me of Libba at his best. Different type of player though. Shows up in his TAC stats lines too with 4 out of his 7 games with 10+ tackles, last game of the year he had 15 to go with 3 goals...

Twomey reckons Nathan Murphy is a chance at 6 for Collingwood. Nathan Murphy has his fans on this board. Quite the bolter?

He is going under the radar a fair bit I think. Lachie hasn't put a foot wrong all year either playing as a goal kicking mid in the TAC cup and against the VFL side for the AFL Academy or as a half forward at the Champs.

His ferocity to tackle and pressure reminds me of Libba at his best. Different type of player though. Shows up in his TAC stats lines too with 4 out of his 7 games with 10+ tackles, last game of the year he had 15 to go with 3 goals...
Welcome to the kennel Lachie Fogarty

How is he as a near-permanent forward though? If underwhelming, how likely is he to be capable in the midfield at AFL level in spite of his height?

Gollo is Fogarty's harshest critic, someone will need to send an ambulance to his/her place if we pick him up at 9.

I think his skills are very good and speed isn't a huge issue for mine with a 3.03 over 20m which is considered slightly above average. His work in the midfield is as good as anyones in the draft IMO, but we haven't seen enough of him in there as his endurance could be better.

He was kicking goals for fun at U16 level, looks like he had a 10 goal haul looking at his stats. He hasn't been overly great at U18 level as a forward though. Kicked 4 goals in the U18 championships as a 17 year old last year which I think was his best outing. But he has been carrying a knee injury this year which may have affected him.
He also fits Bevo's "looking for trouble" mantra for 2018... Has a nice mongrel streak as well and you gotta love that....

How is he as a near-permanent forward though? If underwhelming, how likely is he to be capable in the midfield at AFL level in spite of his height?
He played basically as a permanent forward at the national championships. He has good goal sense, shows promising leading patterns and is relentless in his on-ball pressure. I think he would adjust to a forward role better than most other midfielders in the pool.

I also think his height would be no hindrance to his capacity to play in the midfield in an AFL system. I think he's eerily similar to Zach Merrett in all areas. He wins big numbers of contested ball in link plays, reading hitouts and moving to get release handballs and dish off to other players, as well as being a capable outside ball user. His tackling is the thing that sets him apart and those defensive instincts will be of use to whatever club he goes to in the midfield - that's not affected in any way by his smaller size.

Gollo is Fogarty's harshest critic, someone will need to send an ambulance to his/her place if we pick him up at 9.

I think his skills are very good and speed isn't a huge issue for mine with a 3.03 over 20m which is considered slightly above average. His work in the midfield is as good as anyones in the draft IMO, but we haven't seen enough of him in there as his endurance could be better.

He was kicking goals for fun at U16 level, looks like he had a 10 goal haul looking at his stats. He hasn't been overly great at U18 level as a forward though. Kicked 4 goals in the U18 championships as a 17 year old last year which I think was his best outing. But he has been carrying a knee injury this year which may have affected him.
Yep. I make no apologies for my assessment of Fogarty - I see very little in him which would appear to translate to AFL level well, and I accept that others see it differently, and yes, I would be absolutely spewing if we chose him at 9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully this can answer some of the queries around Cerra for those who aren't convinced. This video is pretty much solely around his work outside of the contest and it's pretty obvious to me that he has the running patterns, class and skills that some haven't yet seen in him. I was even further impressed by his overhead, contested marking in this video, another really exciting trait.

He played basically as a permanent forward at the national championships. He has good goal sense, shows promising leading patterns and is relentless in his on-ball pressure. I think he would adjust to a forward role better than most other midfielders in the pool.

I also think his height would be no hindrance to his capacity to play in the midfield in an AFL system. I think he's eerily similar to Zach Merrett in all areas. He wins big numbers of contested ball in link plays, reading hitouts and moving to get release handballs and dish off to other players, as well as being a capable outside ball user. His tackling is the thing that sets him apart and those defensive instincts will be of use to whatever club he goes to in the midfield - that's not affected in any way by his smaller size.
Pretty sure he’s a doggies supporter as well

I've gotta say, I don't have Lachie Fogarty's foot skills anywhere near the best in the draft. I actually had Fogarty down as a poor kick last year, I think I even mentioned that in the first page of the thread. His foot skills looked to have improved a fair bit this year, but I still think he can still be a bit scrappy by foot. He has his good days and bad days by foot from what I've seen.

I actually quite like the way he plays though. You can't teach that level of intensity he goes at and he brings that without fail in every match he plays. He's got good speed and elite agility too. At the end of the day, he will be quite a big upgrade on Honeychurch.

Pretty sure he’s a doggies supporter as well

Yes he is.

I was super keen on L.Fogarty when we had a pick in the mid 20's, obviously there will be more options available at 16 but I wouldn't be unhappy if we took him there, I think a zippy small forward who loves to tackle would be an invaluable asset if you're investing in T.Boyd and Schache as big marking targets.

Also small forwards have been known to transition their game to AFL standard fairly quickly, even when not especially high picks. Dan Butler and Castagna for Richmond showed that this year.
I don't think its unreasonable to say that a guy like LF could play ~15 games next year and have an impact in a small forward role.

Hi all,

here is that info and link for the live Draft podcast for tonight!

DRAFT SPECIAL featuring two of the best in the business, AFL Draft Central and BigFooty's own, Bishop and Pie 4 Life

Join us live at 7:30pm Melbourne time as we discuss:

* Both Bishop and Pie 4 Life will provide their top 20 player rankings for this years draft

* Both will be selecting 5 players each (including 1 smokey that might be a hidden gem) to give a in depth review about that have impressed them this year

* Both will throw out some names they think might slide down the draft order this year

* We will go through a Mock draft for the first round selections

* Finish off with answering some listeners questions, which you can submit in the chat client while listening online!

You can tune in tonight LIVE at 7:30pm Melb time (approx) by clicking on the below link at around 7:30pm

https://www.spreaker.com/user/bigfooty.com

If you cant tune in to the live episode don't stress, i will post the edited version up afterwards on the draft and trades board.

He will be taken by either Freo at 5.. or Coll at 6... but if he does slip through we would pounce for sure...

I have a differing opinion completely.. but time will tell...

The reality is Dal will pick the best player available with our 1st pick...

If D.Fogarty, J.Brander, A.Cerra, A.Brayshaw are available..he will pick them... take it to the bank...

He won't pick the likes of Constable, Clark, Murphy, or even Coffield before them based on a premise it better fits list profile in Nov/17.. since much can change with a list by the time an 18 yo earns regular senior games..

My Top 10 is as follows;

1. Brisbane - Rayner
2. Fremantle - LDU
3. Carlton - Cerra
4. North - Dow
5. Fremantle - D.Fogarty
6. Collingwood - Stephenson
7. Saints - Brayshaw
8. Saints - Coffield
9. Dogs - Brander
10. Blues - Higgins

Hopefully one of Bonar, Murphy, Clark, Constable, Higgins slides to p.16.

Either way, after watching alot of highight clips.. I'm wrapt we've got two picks in the top 16... there are some guns available no doubt..

Have you been drinking RD ?
Coffield and Constable have all of those bar Cerra covered in best available catagory.

Super highly-rated at the start of the year. Had a shocker of a season at all levels, really.

He's massive, 192cm and 94.5kg, built like a brick shithouse. The issue is that, with his height, he's unable to play genuine key position roles, even though it's what he's suited to. He doesn't know how to win the ball en masse and, despite what Michael Ablett says, is not "100% the best kick in the draft". Not even close. His kicking is average. His acceleration is definitely a worry. He's also not a natural goalkicker at all, or a man defender. His vertical leap is pretty good but his marking isn't elite.

His year has been completely underwhelming. He had 4 U18 Champs games in which he didn't do much, and had been fairly uninspiring at SANFL level until injury curtailed his year. His poor production is a massive red light for any potential suitors, and although he has potential to play up forward, down back or in the midfield, he's shown no real, consistent proficiency in any of these areas. I would be thoroughly disappointed if we took him at 9 or 16.
The way you describe him, I'd be unhappy if we drafted him at 82.

I don't think being short should be a mark against a player's name when discussing their midfield capability. Plenty of good midfielders around his height. Played the season as a midfielder and played well at all levels. Very good tackler and won a lot of clearances at TAC cup level especially.

Hopefully this can answer some of the queries around Cerra for those who aren't convinced. This video is pretty much solely around his work outside of the contest and it's pretty obvious to me that he has the running patterns, class and skills that some haven't yet seen in him. I was even further impressed by his overhead, contested marking in this video, another really exciting trait.

I think I mentioned a few pages back that I really like Cerra's one on one work as a forward, it says a lot about his footy smarts. I think he'll have a good ability to rest forward at the next level. Considering he's seen as one of the best contested ball winners in this group it's great he has some nice extra strings to his bow with his neat skills and marking/1v1 work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back