Official Club Stuff 2018 Annual Report & 2019 AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry I couldn't be there. There's always someone griping about dumb stuff at these things. They often dance around their real issue because even they think they're cranks. They're usually a minority, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same faces every year.

Note for beginners: The AGM isn't there to discuss why we traded/recruited player X, or other football department matters. Write to the club about that. Paper letters (as opposed to emails) are answered more than you think. Button-hole the CEO (or football manager if they're foolish enough to wander in) after the AGM if you feel the need. Keep your questions specific. Remember that the board are there to answer high-level questions about finances, infrastructure, dealings with government, AFL, sponsors, tenants, etc. - not why someone isn't getting a game.

Once the AFL blackmailed The Dogs out of PP it was doomed. Left to their own devices, they would have stuck around PP. It was better for them financially, and I've never heard a bad word from their supporters about playing there. With two tenants PP was more than profitable.

It was only a mistake in retrospect. At the time, long before ToiletDome turned half a billion dollars of investors' money into peanut shells, it made sense to invest in what was then a viable venue. It had its issues then and we're never going back, but Geelong is living proof that owning your own 35k venue is workable.

Sorry have to disagree. The stand was clearly designed by people who had never watched footy from that side of the ground. It was great for standing room, you just had to put up with the sun in your eyes for most of the game.

If they were serious they would have designed a steep stand where patrons were looking down onto the ground. Instead a gently sloping monstrosity where you had to pay double to sit with the sun in your eyes instead of stand with the sun in your eyes. Economically a failure, the club would have made more money just leaving the area as standing room.

Club missed the boat big time by ignoring the MCG and going all in at Princes Park. If we had organised an 8-3 split and got in early at the MCG we would most likely now have great social club facilities (like collingwood at the G) and maybe still having 3 games a year at Princes Park, because instead of antagonising the AFL for many years the AFL would have been much happier with Carlton embracing the MCG and then not been as harsh when the lease was up.

Sorry have to disagree. The stand was clearly designed by people who had never watched footy from that side of the ground. It was great for standing room, you just had to put up with the sun in your eyes for most of the game.

If they were serious they would have designed a steep stand where patrons were looking down onto the ground. Instead a gently sloping monstrosity where you had to pay double to sit with the sun in your eyes instead of stand with the sun in your eyes. Economically a failure, the club would have made more money just leaving the area as standing room.

Club missed the boat big time by ignoring the MCG and going all in at Princes Park. If we had organised an 8-3 split and got in early at the MCG we would most likely now have great social club facilities (like collingwood at the G) and maybe still having 3 games a year at Princes Park, because instead of antagonising the AFL for many years the AFL would have been much happier with Carlton embracing the MCG and then not been as harsh when the lease was up.
change one thing in our history and you change everything in our future - not sure whether that would be a good or bad thing today.....

I’m certain the design of the stand was changed due to objections by local residents. Original design was bigger (another level) and took it further into the parkland.

I think the club were misled about the future of Princes Park which led to the stand being constructed.

The outcome certainly doomed PP as a venue.

I’m certain the design of the stand was changed due to objections by local residents. Original design was bigger (another level) and took it further into the parkland.

I think the club were misled about the future of Princes Park which led to the stand being constructed.

It was a string of things as I recall. The biggest thing being that no-one foresaw the changes in the demands the public would make. Like working toilets and a degree of comfort.

There was a bit more to it than that, the Melbourne City Council did have a hand in changing the original plans which was to build a stand which would extend the capacity to 45,000.

Pretty sure Graeme Samuel had a hand in that, as he knew the AFL was working with the Dockland Developers for the stadium at Docklands which was going to be 55,000 capacity.

So they wouldn’t have been able to push The Docklands development through if Princes Park was expanded to 45,000.

We were definitely arseholed by a cabal of Graeme Samuel/Ron Evans and the AFL Commission whose collective noses were put out of joint by John Elliott - there was no way they were going to allow Carlton to develop a 45,000 seat stadium.

The final coup de grace was sticking it too us with the salary cap penalties.

Last edited:
It was a string of things as I recall. The biggest thing being that no-one foresaw the changes in the demands the public would make. Like working toilets and a degree of comfort.
And this is such an important point. Nowadays attendees of sporting events, concerts etc expect a bit more for their dollar than what is on offer at Princes Park & other suburban VFL grounds.

They have been able to achieve this down at The Cattery due to co-operation from the local council, State Govt (at least a couple of Vic Premiers over the last 20 years or so have been Cats supporters), the AFL & of course locals. This is in total contrast to the Princes Park experience where locals, the council, the State Govt (I can't remember a Carlton supporting Premier) & the AFL have had no interest in seeing a state of the art stadium in the middle of Princes Park.

At least we are going to see funding which makes sure Princes Park can remain our spiritual home, while at the same time having some first class, multi purpose facilities at the ground for our men & women's teams & various other stakeholders who will be using the facilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read about the peanut gallery abusing the management team at the AGM and thought a poll would be good to judge how much support there actually was for either side.
The people have spoken.
Good job Logiudice, Liddle and your team.

at the next one can some one take photos of these 'spokespersons' would love to see them in the 'captions thread'

And this is such an important point. Nowadays attendees of sporting events, concerts etc expect a bit more for their dollar than what is on offer at Princes Park & other suburban VFL grounds.

They have been able to achieve this down at The Cattery due to co-operation from the local council, State Govt (at least a couple of Vic Premiers over the last 20 years or so have been Cats supporters), the AFL & of course locals. This is in total contrast to the Princes Park experience where locals, the council, the State Govt (I can't remember a Carlton supporting Premier) & the AFL have had no interest in seeing a state of the art stadium in the middle of Princes Park.

At least we are going to see funding which makes sure Princes Park can remain our spiritual home, while at the same time having some first class, multi purpose facilities at the ground for our men & women's teams & various other stakeholders who will be using the facilities.

We might have been better off over the course of our history with Carlton Supporting Premiers than Carlton Supporting Prime Ministers.

However having said that, thanks to Prime Minister Menzies, we had Alex Jesaulenko playing with us rather than North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back