List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

De Koning sounds like a good prospect. I guess it will come down to whether we can trade in a KPD or if we see a small to medium forward as a more pressing need.
He definitely shapes as a good long term option for a KPD. Going to take an early second if Twomey's rankings are on the mark.
It will be a big off season for us this year interesting times ahead
Edit : fixing autocorrected

Last edited:
Our midfield is already full, drafting Kemp would be irresponsible list management from a clubs already forcing midfielders into the forward and back lines to be able to fit them all in to the same side. Especially in a year with so many players around our pick who are exactly what we’re crying out for. Depending on who we trade in we need to be looking at key defenders and small/medium goal kickers as our main priority, with some more outside run a lesser priority once the other two requirements have been filled.

Our midfield is already full, drafting Kemp would be irresponsible list management from a clubs already forcing midfielders into the forward and back lines to be able to fit them all in to the same side. Especially in a year with so many players around our pick who are exactly what we’re crying out for. Depending on who we trade in we need to be looking at key defenders and small/medium goal kickers as our main priority, with some more outside run a lesser priority once the other two requirements have been filled.
Probably not going to be in our pick range anyway, but picking a Bontempelli clone with leg speed irresponsible
I don't think so. No Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore in recent weeks has not resulted in our worst unbalanced
football for the year has it. Who ever they choose they choose however this is a big off season for us which
will be vital going forward.

Got to go best available with a pick that early. Likely Kemp gone anyway unless we have a really poor finish to the season.

I'd be happy with Elijah at our first, even if BF wisdom thinks it's a reach. If we trade down a few spots and grab a player at trade week too that would be perfect

Got to go best available with a pick that early. Likely Kemp gone anyway unless we have a really poor finish to the season.

I think best available is a good philosophy in general but it’s not a set in stone rule. If best available is a rebounding defender and we pick him I’d be pissed off. We don’t need any more mids unless they’re outside runners with good ball use.

Probably not going to be in our pick range anyway, but picking a Bontempelli clone with leg speed irresponsible
I don't think so. No Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore in recent weeks has not resulted in our worst unbalanced
football for the year has it. Who ever they choose they choose however this is a big off season for us which
will be vital going forward.
From my eye Kemp is far from a Bont clone with leg speed. A player such as that would just about be the GOAT. Kemp lacks natural contested ball winning nuanced movements that Bont naturally has. The shrugs, hip positioning, body fakes that allow a desperate ball winning mentality to manifest into clearances. Kemp is also not as instinctive or damaging by hand as Bont. He definitely has the size though and can play in a range of positions. He seems much more similar to Yeo than Bont.

From my eye Kemp is far from a Bont clone with leg speed. A player such as that would just about be the GOAT. Kemp lacks natural contested ball winning nuanced movements that Bont naturally has. The shrugs, hip positioning, body fakes that allow a desperate ball winning mentality to manifest into clearances. Kemp is also not as instinctive or damaging by hand as Bont. He definitely has the size though and can play in a range of positions. He seems much more similar to Yeo than Bont.
If your memory is any good Bont was very much a late arrival in his draft year was not automatically
a top five pick, Kemp has a similar vibe I went on him before the championships before any of his
exposed form. He has more tools than Bont at the same development stage before being drafted
now will that continue to senior football like it has for Bont who knows.

If your memory is any good Bont was very much a late arrival in his draft year was not automatically
a top five pick, Kemp has a similar vibe I went on him before the championships before any of his
exposed form. He has more tools than Bont at the same development stage before being drafted
now will that continue to senior football like it has for Bont who knows.
Bontempelli was a member of the AIS AFL Academy and by being so, meant that he was well and truly on the radar leading into his draft year so I don’t agree that he was a “late arrival”.
It could be said that his improvement was significant during the course of the year, especially statistically, in the second half of his 2013 draft year.
Nobody is an “automatic top 5 pick”. Perhaps you mean by this that he was not commonly spoken about as a high draft pick until late in the year?
Bont certainly had the foundations of his game on show during his draft year. Foundations such as elite hand balling, vision, ability to keep his arms free during a contest, extracting the ball from clearances, being a goal threat.
In what way does Kemp have more tools than Bont at the same stage of their development?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp is going to be an excellent general defender at a minimum.

Maximum is Bont.

Is a clear top 5 pick and doubt we can get him with our mid first round pick. Worth trading up for but I suspect we are better off getting an extra 2nd rounder and grabbing 2 KPD’s in that range.

Hope Taylor slides to pick ~42.

lots of debate here whether we should pick best available or pick someoen who would best fill our needs.

Look at the 2016 draft, we drafted Lipinski at 28 and Shai Bolton went at 29.

In hindsight, would we have been better off with the 'needs' player or the 'best available' one?

lots of debate here whether we should pick best available or pick someoen who would best fill our needs.

In hindsight, would we have been better off with the 'needs' player or the 'best available' one?
First pick should ALWAYS be best available. Save later picks for needs

Just look at 2018. If we didn't take Smith, the next 3 non-midfielders that weren't academy picks were Chayce Jones, Zak Butters and Jordan Clark. All 3 look quality, but I wouldn't trade Smith for all 3 combined, let alone any of the individuals.

There will be plenty of KPPs and smalls in the back end of the draft. Unless we trade our picks around, on current ladder we are set to have 7, 25, 40, 42 and 43. Those three picks in the 40s should easily address "needs" - 7 and 25 should be taking the best players we can get (or put up for auction to other clubs during the live draft)

Best available can create a void in the list where players don't develop to their full potential, there are some
great examples this year if people care to look Dunkley in the early rounds struggled, but a few injuries and
bam he is elite, McLean has a roll change that reduces his impact is dropped injury recall in his ideal spot
and bam welcome back to the Ching votes. Daniel oh what are we going to do without him was the catch
cry all last week, have a more resolute defence was the answer. Look getting the players in is one thing, but
how they are used and developed is the only thing that matters. Balance should dictate best available and
not the system used by the coach, but sadly it works the other way most of the time.

Best available happens when a player is a clear tier above the rest of the players available. For example if Hayden Young somehow fell through to us we'd pick him in a heartbeat because he is clearly better than who else would be available to us.

Same rule applied elsewhere in the draft to a certain degree.

Best available might also be one of the reasons we have a dearth of quality talls. We keep taking best available at our pick (usually a midfielder) and then hoping we'll jag a decent KPP with a later pick or even a rookie or PS selection (Jones, Roughead, Young, Mulligan, Collins, Zordy, Adams, Roberts, Talia, Markovic, Boumann, even Gardner in the PSD).

The only first round KPP types we've drafted in the last dozen years have been J.Grant (not a genuine KPP anyway) and Naughton. We traded out of our first round pick in 2014 to get Tom Boyd so you'd have to count that as well, even if he ended up being more a ruckman. Ayce Cordy and English were drafted as mainly as ruck prospects. It's possible to get good KPPs later in the draft but it tends to be hit and miss (and much more chance of a miss than a hit going by the above list).

Hats off to Dalrymple for locking onto Naughton but what if his draft year was 2018 not 2017? Would we have gone Bailey Smith or Naughton with pick 7? I don't know but a best available approach (knowing only what we knew at draft time, not what we know now) might well have seen us take Smith ahead of Naughton.

Add to the conundrum that you don't usually get returns out of a KPP draft pick until at least his second or third year (Naughton is very much an exception).

I'm not advocating you have to do a deep reach with your first pick but it's more complex than saying just pick the best available every time. If there are 4 or 5 that you have closely ranked and one of them fills a serious gap while the others are all of a type that you're well stocked with well maybe he's the one you choose.

The alternative is to try to trade for a decent KPP and hope it doesn'tcost you a first round pick. That hasn't been a raging success in recent times. The jury is still out on Schache. Meanwhile Trengove is handy but is neither dominant nor a long term solution.

Who is the fastest draft prospect in this draft pool? worth getting as a project player with a late pick? could be our version of petrucelle?

Haha, before the champs a certain person in the know was absolutely scathing on some BF assessments of draft ranges (none had him in the top 30) and said he's the most naturally talented player in the pool.
I'd love him at the dogs, exactly the type we need.

Haha, before the champs a certain person in the know was absolutely scathing on some BF assessments of draft ranges (none had him in the top 30) and said he's the most naturally talented player in the pool.
I'd love him at the dogs, exactly the type we need.

Who’s the person in the know ?

A bit out of my depth in this space. Where do people see Luke Jackson (WA ruckman) ending up (in the draft and in position at AFL level)?

Is perhaps too short for Ruck, though from what I have seen of the Championships is a contested bull (Ben Hudson like, with more versatility). Surely a good KP prospect?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back