2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So does that mean we saw Rivers as an inside mid, and had no need for him once we got Robertson? Or did we see him as a defender but rate Brock Smith higher, and we didn't see Smith being picked before 33 but didn't think he'd last to 38? Just trying to understand why we didn't trade up for Rivers.
Who’s to say we didn’t try?

Feels like this is the odd line out in your post - the rest is about our first and second round picks and this is separate as it doesn't affect them and can be taken on its own. Depending on how we rated players it might not have played out a heap different.
Yes when the pick came for Coleman it was probably unexpected but had no baring on the first two picks. The club just had to deal with it if they wanted Coleman.
Without prior knowledge on who the Lions still had on their board at this time, us fans won't know if we missed out on a particular player.
So will Prior become a better player than say the next 7 players taken after Coleman. Only time will tell.
Those players excluding our other two academy boys were, Bryan, Warner, Rantall, Evans, O'Connor, Bianco & Ralphsmith.

Who’s to say we didn’t try?
Why didn't we succeed? Given North selected Charlie Comben at 31 and Melbourne had already drafted a ruck (and have Max Gawn) it would have been a pretty safe bet for him to be available at 33 too. Why would North have rejected 33 and 38 for 31 and a late pick? North could have flipped 38 for a second next year if their list was full.

Feels like this is the odd line out in your post - the rest is about our first and second round picks and this is separate as it doesn't affect them and can be taken on its own. Depending on how we rated players it might not have played out a heap different.
Yeah I wasn’t very clear there.

My point was, with hindsight and knowing the Coleman bid was coming early, it’s a pity we couldn’t package our second and third picks up and get ahead of Melbourne to get Trent Rivers.

So does that mean we saw Rivers as an inside mid, and had no need for him once we got Robertson? Or did we see him as a defender but rate Brock Smith higher, and we didn't see Smith being picked before 33 but didn't think he'd last to 38? Just trying to understand why we didn't trade up for Rivers.
I can’t answer your questions as only the recruiting team would know.

I can make some observations though.

Rivers is an inside mid, who can also play in defence. He was the captain of East Fremantle and played inside mid there. It was only at state level he played as a rebounding defender.

He’s more a balanced mid than a pure inside mid which Robertson is.

Brock is a lock down defender. Once he’s developed, he’ll be the guy you play on the Dusty Martin’s or De Goey’s of the league.

My guess is, once Rivers was off the board, Brock was the next player on our team draft board.

I have no idea who we would have picked with our third pick if the Coleman bid hadn’t come in.

Personally I would have liked Nick Bryan, as we need a young developing ruck. And I remember Conole saying in the pre-draft video on the Lions site we might look at a young ruck this year or next.

It’s pretty clear we went in to the draft with the intention of only picking up one academy kid. And hoped to have three live picks.

I have no idea who we would have selected if Prior was drafted before our last pick. It’s interesting that Prior very much fits the profile of what Conole had said we’re looking for pre-draft.

Rivers is an inside mid, who can also play in defence. He was the captain of East Fremantle and played inside mid there. It was only at state level he played as a rebounding defender.

Brock is a lock down defender. Once he’s developed, he’ll be the guy you play on the Dusty Martin’s or De Goey’s of the league.

My guess is, once Rivers was off the board, Brock was the next player on our team draft board.

I have no idea who we would have picked with our third pick if the Coleman bid hadn’t come in.

Personally I would have liked Nick Bryan, as we need a young developing ruck. And I remember Conole saying in the pre-draft video on the Lions site we might look at a young ruck this year or next.

It’s pretty clear we went in to the draft with the intention of only picking up one academy kid. And hoped to have three live picks.

I have no idea who we would have selected if Prior was drafted before our last pick. It’s interesting that Prior very much fits the profile of what Conole had said we’re looking for pre-draft.
Riley Thilthorpe :think:

You've got 18 clubs each with 6 or 7 guys working on it , plus their masters back at the club , something left field happens ,you have to think and readjust quickly and once it's done every club says they were really happy with the outcome. Well that's just not possible is it.

We probably had a handful of players we were really interested in given our positioning in the draft. Once Robertson wasn't picked in the first round we likely decided he was easily the best of the rest and did whatever it took to get him.We then took whoever else was the best available having mentally pre committed to Coleman, which shut out a couple of other guys when Essendon bid on him so early.

We've gone past the stage of picking anyone up if we don't think they'll be happy here. We had a reasonable outcome on paper and time will tell.

As always Briztoon - thanks for your insights!

Our pick + ports = top 5 pick?
If Thilthorpe keeps tracking as he has since the U16’s, I’d probably do it. But there’s a fair chance what I’d probably do is different to the club.

Last year, I would have tried offering Port our first pick and future first tied to Collingwood to move up and draft Duursma.

I probably wouldn’t have traded our future second round pick next year to move up one spot to take Robertson in this draft. I would have been more than happy to take Rivers if Robertson went the pick before us.

You've got 18 clubs each with 6 or 7 guys working on it , plus their masters back at the club , something left field happens ,you have to think and readjust quickly and once it's done every club says they were really happy with the outcome. Well that's just not possible is it.

We probably had a handful of players we were really interested in given our positioning in the draft. Once Robertson wasn't picked in the first round we likely decided he was easily the best of the rest and did whatever it took to get him.We then took whoever else was the best available having mentally pre committed to Coleman, which shut out a couple of other guys when Essendon bid on him so early.

We've gone past the stage of picking anyone up if we don't think they'll be happy here. We had a reasonable outcome on paper and time will tell.
To make the trade we did, we had to have rated Robertson a lot higher than just being the best of the rest.

We had to have viewed him as significantly better than the next player on our board.

My gut feeling is that who Robertson is as a person played a significant role in how we view him as a player.

If Thilthorpe keeps tracking as he has since the U16’s, I’d probably do it. But there’s a fair chance what I’d probably do is different to the club.

Last year, I would have tried offering Port our first pick and future first tied to Collingwood to move up and draft Duursma.

I probably wouldn’t have traded our future second round pick next year to move up one spot to take Robertson in this draft. I would have been more than happy to take Rivers if Robertson went the pick before us.

You loose unit. Glad you're not in charge ;)

Would have loved Duursma though, but absolutely love the Robertson trade. He was rated very highly by the club and is worth the price paid. I don't mind trading a future second in next years draft given the second round picks will be pushed back quite a bit and we've got two firsts anyway. Further to that, if we look at the list of players out of contract in 2020 - in particular the level of talent in that group - then I think it's a safe assumption we will probably take 3-4 max in the draft anyway. Two firsts and one-two value picks. Or we trade in an A grader with the two firsts - either way :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DURING all of the first-round drama, Deven Robertson remained on the draft shelf.

The Larke medallist and gun West Australian midfielder had been considered for the Blues' Philp spot, and at Richmond's choice, while Geelong had also discussed him on the night.

He was the only player to attend the opening night of the draft and not leave an AFL player, but moves were afoot the next day as clubs vied to get up the order and grab him.

Nearly half of the competition was interested in Port's pick 22 that opened the second round, but Brisbane was keenest to move up a spot from pick No.23 to swoop on the midfielder. In fact, had they not offloaded their first-round pick in a pre-draft deal with Port, the Lions would likely have snapped up Robertson then.

They didn't let their second chance go missing. Brisbane offered a future second-round pick to take Port's pick, and even though Port wasn't going to select Robertson there, the Lions had to make sure their offer beat others', including Adelaide, who were trying to inch up the board.

The Power also couldn't shift too far back as they wanted to be sure they could take Dylan Williams with their third choice – wherever it ended up.

There was also the possibility Brisbane bid on Mead if they stayed at No.23, so Port could eliminate that chance by swapping spots.

Robertson's slide, as is the way of the draft, had implications. It saw Trent Rivers, who was set to be taken by Brisbane if Robertson wasn't available, get through to Melbourne's pick 32.

Twomey is guessing and pretending it is fact we wanted Rivers next. Journos do this.
I reckon it was Schoenberg.

To make the trade we did, we had to have rated Robertson a lot higher than just being the best of the rest.

We had to have viewed him as significantly better than the next player on our board.

My gut feeling is that who Robertson is as a person played a significant role in how we view him as a player.

They wouldn't put a concrete figure on it at the draft night, but extrapolating between the hints it was definitely in the 3-12 range, probably in the 3-8 range, and (gut feel based off their comments around not wanting to put pressure on him based off our rankings) maybe at the pointy end of that.

They also said what Twomey then repeated - Adelaide was our main competition for that pick, and they wanted Robertson as well.

Basically it was all what we were speculating beforehand - you only make that kind of trade if you think the player is a top 10 talent, and you only make the move if you think he's not going to make it that last pick. FWIW we'd already been trying to trade up to get Robertson since part way through the first round.

They wouldn't put a concrete figure on it at the draft night, but extrapolating between the hints it was definitely in the 3-12 range, probably in the 3-8 range, and (gut feel based off their comments around not wanting to put pressure on him based off our rankings) maybe at the pointy end of that.

They also said what Twomey then repeated - Adelaide was our main competition for that pick, and they wanted Robertson as well.

Basically it was all what we were speculating beforehand - you only make that kind of trade if you think the player is a top 10 talent, and you only make the move if you think he's not going to make it that last pick. FWIW we'd already been trying to trade up to get Robertson since part way through the first round.
Yes, but did Deven say get me to Adelaide? No, no he didn’t!

Twomey is guessing and pretending it is fact we wanted Rivers next. Journos do this.
I reckon it was Schoenberg.
The difference is Twomey knows a hell of a lot more than 99% of posters on these boards. He speaks with every clubs, players, player managers and has a history of getting the picks pretty much spot on.

His article will have been based on his discussions.

The difference is Twomey knows a hell of a lot more than 99% of posters on these boards. He speaks with every clubs, players, player managers and has a history of getting the picks pretty much spot on.

His article will have been based on his discussions.

And in this case I'm pretty confident Twomey would have talked to all the clubs in question to get their plans. After all there's no harm in revealing them after the fact. When he writes that we would have selected Rivers, it's safe to assume that we told him that, just like the permutations outlined for all the clubs above us.

And in this case I'm pretty confident Twomey would have talked to all the clubs in question to get their plans. After all there's no harm in revealing them after the fact. When he writes that we would have selected Rivers, it's safe to assume that we told him that, just like the permutations outlined for all the clubs above us.

I think you can trust Twomey on this sort of stuff too - its clear he has good info before the draft on which players clubs like, and as you say after the draft there is no reason to lie to a journalist and a lot of good reasons to cooperate with the piece.

If people want to distrust his actual talent evaluation/projection of players then that is very fair - he's clearly no expert in that regard.

Thanks dlanod.

I’m guessing you were at the draft function?

Who from the club was there and talked to the members?

Where and when was it, as I didn’t see any advertising or emails about it this year.

Who from the club was there and talked to the members?
Noble, Ambroglio, Farrell, Leon Harris.

Where and when was it, as I didn’t see any advertising or emails about it this year.
Last Friday in Melbourne. An email went out to previous attendees. I suspect it sold out just from those, so no need to publicise it more widely.

Noble, Ambroglio, Farrell, Leon Harris.

Last Friday in Melbourne. An email went out to previous attendees. I suspect it sold out just from those, so no need to publicise it more widely.
Sounds like a really fascinating event - how does it work generally, i.e. a Q & A format after the picks are done and dusted?

Sounds like a really fascinating event - how does it work generally, i.e. a Q & A format after the picks are done and dusted?
There have been a number of iterations of the draft night in Melbourne since the first one some 5 years ago due to the evolution of the draft and being done over 2 nights. This years was held last Friday night and was essentially a summary of the draft nights. In addition to those in attendance that dlanod mentioned, Melbourne based director Ross Thornton was there as was Fitzroy legend Garry Wilson and his wife.

Noble, Ambrogio and Farrell all spoke with PowerPoints and exclusive videos of the draftees in addition to Noah Answerth’s Dad and Toby Wooller’s parents each speaking about their respective sons and their POV of them being drafted interstate.

We also got a detailed video played of the new Springfield site and in depth info about it, which I don’t think has been shared on BF yet.

They are great nights and I understand you have to keep attending to maintain your annual invite as tickets are scarce and offered to previous attendees.

As always, Sam Lord does an incredible job, cannot speak more highly of him and the annual night and recruiting book we receive each year.

In answer to your question though, the speakers speak and they open the floor to questions afterwards.

Correct. I asked LI about it ages ago and was told they asked the people that attended last year first and that sold it out. Which I personally feel is not appropriate but it is what it is.

A little bit more information on Jaxon Prior from an article in wafootball.com dated June 2019.

JAXON PRIOR/WEST PERTH
The Sorrento-Duncraig product is one of the best medium-sized defensive prospects in this year’s AFL Draft pool. Likened to Fremantle’s rising star Luke Ryan, Prior reads the play exceptionally well often intercepting the opposition’s attacking forays. He also boasts elite vision, damaging skills and is a smart decision-maker, making him an offensive weapon from the half-back line. In four games for West Perth, Prior is averaging 26 possessions, seven marks, three tackles, two inside 50s and he has already kicked two goals. He is currently equal-leading the WAFL Colts Coaches Award with 14 votes, with best afield performances against Claremont in round two (34 possessions and eight marks) and South Fremantle in round three (28 possessions, four marks, four inside 50s and two goals).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back