Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should use one of our picks in the 40s on Luke Partington

Very little chance a pick 45 or 49 will make it, in fact most clubs with success in that range have taken mature age players
I'd be fine with this! He had a hell of a season in the SANFL, and has experience in an elite AFL system with the Eagles!

And in terms of age profile (turning 23 in March), he's about as spot on as you can get for a mature aged recruit!

Speaking of mature aged recruits, can anyone tell me if Dom Barry from Norwood would be worth an AFL lifeline with a later pick?

Will only be 21 in March, and from the finals I saw this year his best looks pretty damn exciting and damaging up front.

Admittedly my knowledge of him this season was exclusively that finals series, so not sure if that was a just a purple patch, or a true reflection of his form.

EDIT: My mistake, 25 years old, not 21!

Last edited:
Speaking of mature aged recruits, can anyone tell me if Dom Barry from Norwood would be worth an AFL lifeline with a later pick?

Will only be 21 in March, and from the finals I saw this year his best looks pretty damn exciting and damaging up front.

Note: Admittedly my knowledge of him this season was exclusively that finals series, so not sure if that was a just a purple patch, or a true reflection of his form.

He's 25.

Am I crazy or are Glenelg starting to really churn out some top quality AFL draftee's?

Has this always been the case, or are they stepping it up lately?

One of the great frustrations of being a Glenelg supporter has been seeing a level of Reserves and lower grade success without a senior flag, and the loss of good young talent. So I think the number in the academy is about normal for us

Note: Admittedly my knowledge of him this season was exclusively that finals series, so not sure if that was a just a purple patch, or a true reflection of his form.
Absolutely not.

His time has passed.

Rantall/C Stephens/Philp/Dow/Byrnes come on down

I'd be putting Mitch O'Neill's name in there Danger in Texas can't work out why he's gone so quiet on draft boards, he's an absolute star IMO.

We also desperately need a KPD, one of Josh Worrell/Sam De Koning/Dyson Hilder/Karl Finlay is a must....my smokey Calder Cannon's Captain Brodie Newman 193cm - 90kg one of if not the best rebounding defender in this draft class - historically we have loved us a Calder Cannon and took another last draft [Lachie Sholl].

Personally I'd love a young developing ruckman we can give the Doc to work with....The athletic Charlie Comben would be ideal.

Last edited:
I'd be putting Mitch O'Neill's name in there Danger in Texas can't work out why he's gone so quiet on draft boards, he's an absolute star IMO.
We desperately need a KPD, one of Josh Worrell/Sam De Koning/Dyson Hilder/Karl Finlay is a must....my smokey Calder Cannon's Captain Brodie Newman 193cm - 90kg one of if not the best rebounding defender in this draft class - historically we have loved us a Calder Cannon and took another last draft [Lachie Sholl]

I'd like us to bring in two of them. Would also allow us to develop one of them (or Butts) to be able to play forward if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Jay Rantall's combine bonanza in the Yoyo and 2km bring his draft range in a fair bit? I seem to remember him being touted as a late round 2 early round 3 kind of prospect before the combine.

Did Jay Rantall's combine bonanza in the Yoyo and 2km bring his draft range in a fair bit? I seem to remember him being touted as a late round 2 early round 3 kind of prospect before the combine.
His endurance was well known long before the Combine mate. He set the clocks on fire at the pre-season testing bettering Sam Walsh's time from last year and went for a leisurely stroll winning the 6km run at the South West Carnival over summer. Be intersting to see if Neddy could keep up with him if we draft him, both exceptional endurance runners.

Warrnambool basketballer and footballer Jay Rantall was unaware he was running towards victory in the six-kilometre run as he went through his paces.
“It was good to get the legs ticking over and I have been doing bit of running over the pre-season and I was a bit surprised I didn’t think I was going to win it,” the 17-year-old said.
“I was just coming here to run and hopefully break 21 minutes and I did that so I am pretty happy with that.”
Rantall, who finished in a time of 20 minutes and 19 seconds, held off Hein Reimert, 22, (20 minutes, 27 seconds) and South Warrnambool clubmate Archie Stevens, 15, (21 minutes, 19 seconds).
“One of my strengths is my running and I am just trying to get as fit as I can as I have never had a (football) pre-season,” the Australian Crocs under 17 FIBA World Cup representative said.
“I’m trying to get fit and healthy. I have a couple of weeks before (Greater Western Victoria) Rebels training is back after having a few weeks off and I’m ready to get back into it.
“Hopefully get into the trial matches and see what happens from there.”

Last edited:
His endurance was well known long before the Combine mate. He set the clocks on fire at the pre-season testing bettering Sam Walsh's time from last year and went for a leisurely stroll winning the 6km run at the South West Carnival over summer. Be intersting to see if Neddy could keep up with him if we draft him, both exceptional endurance runners.

Warrnambool basketballer and footballer Jay Rantall was unaware he was running towards victory in the six-kilometre run as he went through his paces.
“It was good to get the legs ticking over and I have been doing bit of running over the pre-season and I was a bit surprised I didn’t think I was going to win it,” the 17-year-old said.
“I was just coming here to run and hopefully break 21 minutes and I did that so I am pretty happy with that.”
Rantall, who finished in a time of 20 minutes and 19 seconds, held off Hein Reimert, 22, (20 minutes, 27 seconds) and South Warrnambool clubmate Archie Stevens, 15, (21 minutes, 19 seconds).
“One of my strengths is my running and I am just trying to get as fit as I can as I have never had a (football) pre-season,” the Australian Crocs under 17 FIBA World Cup representative said.
“I’m trying to get fit and healthy. I have a couple of weeks before (Greater Western Victoria) Rebels training is back after having a few weeks off and I’m ready to get back into it.
Cheers Mate, I have to say, this kid is really starting to interest me. If we were targeting him we would have brought in some exceptionally strong natural runners in the last 2 years. Which is a trait that surprisingly few kids naturally have from what i've seen.

I suppose theoretically we could pick both him and Dylan Stephens in the same draft who blitzed the combine with his endurance as well right?

We should use one of our picks in the 40s on Luke Partington

Very little chance a pick 45 or 49 will make it, in fact most clubs with success in that range have taken mature age players

Surely you would just take him as rookie.

If you don’t think he’ll make it to our first rookie pick, we could just not upgrade Butts and take him with pick 80+

Surely you would just take him as rookie.

If you don’t think he’ll make it to our first rookie pick, we could just not upgrade Butts and take him with pick 80+

We have six senior list vacancies (assuming we go 2 short again) and six picks inside the top 50. That's why I'd pick him with pick 49

We also desperately need a KPD, one of Josh Worrell/Sam De Koning/Dyson Hilder/Karl Finlay is a must....my smokey Calder Cannon's Captain Brodie Newman 193cm - 90kg one of if not the best rebounding defender in this draft class - historically we have loved us a Calder Cannon and took another last draft [Lachie Sholl].

Personally I'd love a young developing ruckman we can give the Doc to work with....The athletic Charlie Comben would be ideal.
Forgot about O’Neill, definitely within our range. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hamish targets him as a Tassie guy to pair with Chayce

Definitely think we need to grab a mixture of mids and talls, I reckon you could probably grab someone like De Koning with 23. Comden with 37 maybe?

Also wouldn’t mind grabbing another small forward to replace Eddie’s spot on the list, can’t put all our faith in Murphy and Stengle. Pickett might be gettable around that range?

Thoughts on whether he would be there for us at 37 Mutineer ??

Last edited:
Like to snap up Taheny if e slips to us somewhere reasonable ... which could well happen .

Lachie Ash would be my 1st preference, Vic/Country/Shepparton lad with hardness, top end speed and dare, excellent foot skills and not afraid to back himself in. Will play from round 1 if given the opportunity freeing up Brodie Smith/Milera to the midfield/wing I'd expect. Likely transitions into the midfield in the future. Plenty of really nice prospects available though as you would expect with pick 4....if we retain it of course.

Outside of Rowell/Anderson, Ash seems to be the one for mine. Good size, solid, yet outside leaning midfielder/half-back who is natural run and carry/line breaker with good foot skills.

Sounds like there's a few good key backs on offer in the 20-40 range. Would love for Gould to slide to 23 but from what I've seen of him, I think he's more likely to push up into the top 10. Fitness will be an issue for some, but doesn't bother me too much at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back