Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If pick 1 was that valuable, clubs would be trading it more often.

Multiple selections in the first round are always better than one pick, even if it is pick 1. Club recruiters know this. The advantage of pick 1 is you're more likely to recruit a good 250+ game player. It doesn't guarantee you a star player.

GWS already have a lot of star midfielders. They need more depth in small forwards, running defenders and potentially another ruck option.

If they know they're bringing in Tom Green this year, it doesn't make sense to trade up and get another similar player such as Rowell when they already have a surplus of his type.

Let me put it this way, would you trade picks 7, 16 and one of Chase Jones, Milera or Doedee for pick 1 being Matt Rowell?

I know some will suggest that deals like the above can work because GWS can use other points to match bids, but that doesn't provide Adelaide with leverage in a trade. It merely provides an opportunity for GWS to explore their options. If a bid on Tom Green was to come in the 10-15 range, GWS might wish to use pick 7 in the draft on a higher rated player and swap pick 16 for a future first with another club to diversify their picks across multiple drafts. Points from later selections can be used to match as required.
GWS have shown in the past that they will trade multiple assets to move up in the draft. Kelly, Taranto, etc.

Their list is in a very different place to ours. We're approaching a rebuild where we'll need multiple players. They're not. They need absolute elite or nothing.

They may lose Coniglio this year, and have salary cap pressures.

This is also a draft where, so far, observers such as Twomey, are saying there is two absolute premiums, which means those top two picks have increased value.

I though your post was really good, but I think there is a counter point to everything you raised.

Country lead Metro at half time 5.4 to 3.4

Surprisingly Metro's much vaunted midfield of Rowell and Anderson getting well held by the Country boys Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders, Tom Dow and Jay Rantall.....Rowell and Anderson better that quarter but not dominating the Country midfield as expected.

My boy Jay Rantall's quick hands in tight a feature

Surprisingly Metro's much vaunted midfield of Rowell and Anderson getting well held by the Country boys Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders and Jay Rantall.....Rowell and Anderson better that quarter but not dominating the Country as expected.

Metro exposed for midfield depth, the fact Country aren’t playing Kemp in the midfield shows that.

I would have thought we went for best available at each pick.

We've always prioritised leadership - that's Hately. We prioritise flexibility - that's Hately as well. He's also an accumulator, which we don't really have in our under 22s.

Look, neither of us can possibly know. I just like the look of Hately. Plus - he's surplus to their needs as it stands.
Aiden Bonar is the more likely surplus to their needs actually, no way they rissole Hately after one season.

Surprisingly Metro's much vaunted midfield of Rowell and Anderson getting well held by the Country boys Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders, Tom Dow and Jay Rantall.....Rowell and Anderson better that quarter but not dominating the Country midfield as expected.

Commentary pointed out Flanders playing a role on Rowell at the contest.
I’m impressed by Serong

GWS have shown in the past that they will trade multiple assets to move up in the draft. Kelly, Taranto, etc.

Their list is in a very different place to ours. We're approaching a rebuild where we'll need multiple players. They're not. They need absolute elite or nothing.

They may lose Coniglio this year, and have salary cap pressures.

This is also a draft where, so far, observers such as Twomey, are saying there is two absolute premiums, which means those top two picks have increased value.

I though your post was really good, but I think there is a counter point to everything you raised.

I'm watching Metro vs Country as we speak.

Rowell and Anderson are good players but they're not generational players. I think you'll find pick 1 is more about the fanfare for this years draft. If Rankine was in this draft, he would be the clear standout #1 selection. Better off throwing it up to Gold Coast to see if they're willing to part with Rankine. Allows GC to draft Rowell and Anderson as mates, reducing go home factor.

A lot of GWS's trades up the draft board were done whilst SOS was in charge of their list. He has done the exact same thing at Carlton. E.g. trading up two second rounders to secure Charlie Curnow. They've actually lost a lot of depth over the past couple of years and also have a tight cap. They may want to fill their list with more cheap draftees.

3/4 time
Vic Country lead Metro 6.9 to 5.6

Rowell and Anderson both on 20 disposals, good but not dominating quite as much as expected

If pick 1 was that valuable, clubs would be trading it more often.

Multiple selections in the first round are always better than one pick, even if it is pick 1. Club recruiters know this. The advantage of pick 1 is you're more likely to recruit a good 250+ game player. It doesn't guarantee you a star player.

GWS already have a lot of star midfielders. They need more depth in small forwards, running defenders and potentially another ruck option.

If they know they're bringing in Tom Green this year, it doesn't make sense to trade up and get another similar player such as Rowell when they already have a surplus of his type.

Let me put it this way, would you trade picks 7, 16 and one of Chase Jones, Milera or Doedee for pick 1 being Matt Rowell?

I know some will suggest that deals like the above can work because GWS can use other points to match bids, but that doesn't provide Adelaide with leverage in a trade. It merely provides an opportunity for GWS to explore their options. If a bid on Tom Green was to come in the 10-15 range, GWS might wish to use pick 7 in the draft on a higher rated player and swap pick 16 for a future first with another club to diversify their picks across multiple drafts. Points from later selections can be used to match as required.
That's because they will always ask for way overs for pick 1, and this time it's unique where pick 1 isn't going to a bottom club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm still taking Noah Anderson over Matt Rowell.

If local lad Jay Rantall is still there at our Pick 30 given his enormous upside coming from an elite basketball background and only taking his footy serious this season will be the bargain of this draft.

That's because they will always ask for way overs for pick 1, and this time it's unique where pick 1 isn't going to a bottom club.

Correct. Although Adelaide might be willing to trade, it looks unlikely for someone to give up as much as picks 7, 16 and Hately for pick 1 given how even this draft is.

I reckon you'll find the likely scenario is Adelaide will take it to the draft unless they convince Grundy or another big name to come across.

Rowell hasn’t dominated but has done a few nice moves that you think would be AFL standard.
Running back Hayden Young easily best on with his elite foot skills clearly on display. Brother Lachie plays for the Dogs.
And I'm still taking Noah Anderson over Matt Rowell.

If local lad Jay Rantall is still there at our Pick 30 given his enormous upside coming from an elite basketball background and only taking his footy serious this season will be the bargain of this draft.

FWIW, I reckon Lachlan Ash will be in serious consideration for pick 1 come the end of the year. I reckon he creates more and opens up the play better than Rowell and Anderson. Young was very impressive today, but felt that Ash had more eye catching moments.

Aiden Bonar is the more likely surplus to their needs actually, no way they rissole Hately after one season.
Possibly true. Bonar will have a lot of Victorian suitors, though, and they have an earlier pick invested in him.

FWIW, I reckon Lachlan Ash will be in serious consideration for pick 1 come the end of the year. I reckon he creates more and opens up the play better than Rowell and Anderson. Young was very impressive today, but felt that Ash had more eye catching moments.
I will re watch later as missed catching the name. Did he do some serious running off the back line ? ( Ash ) opening it up right down the wing.

Last edited:
No way will Ash go pick 1, and certainly not if Adelaide have Pick 1.
Lachie is very, very good but he's a medium defender.

I'm watching Metro vs Country as we speak.

Rowell and Anderson are good players but they're not generational players. I think you'll find pick 1 is more about the fanfare for this years draft. If Rankine was in this draft, he would be the clear standout #1 selection. Better off throwing it up to Gold Coast to see if they're willing to part with Rankine. Allows GC to draft Rowell and Anderson as mates, reducing go home factor.

A lot of GWS's trades up the draft board were done whilst SOS was in charge of their list. He has done the exact same thing at Carlton. E.g. trading up two second rounders to secure Charlie Curnow. They've actually lost a lot of depth over the past couple of years and also have a tight cap. They may want to fill their list with more cheap draftees.
Yeah, I'm watching the same game - Rowell and Anderson have certainly been discussed as generational talents in the lead up to this game, but this has brought them back to Earth.

I'd perhaps do 1 and our second for Rankine and their Brisbane pick. Rankine has undeniably lost value since draft day, though this may change across the next three months.

I though Ash moved well in straight lines, but I liked when Young took options back in the corridor. Showed some good skills and vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back