Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No to Ash & Flanders ATS .... Really like Day, and a couple of the WA boys .... Taylor and Sharp

Just worried about the sameness of our midfield with Some of the mids on offer.... plus their upside

i’ll post more thoughts in a week
Agree on Taylor, rate him late first round. Raw, but has a ton of natural talent. Not nearly as keen on Sharp

Funny, I would’ve put Ash/Flanders in that ‘X Factor’ category that you like from your mids, but keen to hear your thoughts soon nonetheless

Agree on Taylor, rate him late first round. Raw, but has a ton of natural talent. Not nearly as keen on Sharp

Funny, I would’ve put Ash/Flanders in that ‘X Factor’ category that you like from your mids, but keen to hear your thoughts soon nonetheless
The game i watched last night, both Serong and Flanders struggled with the pace

Now i’m not basing my thoughts on one game, that’s stupid .... but i do worry about their pace for their heights & how much development is left in them .... Serong is very physically mature and he can certainly find the ball .... would just like a quicker 10-15 mtr pace to exit the pack, at his height

That said , he may trim down and add a bit of pace, in an AFL system

We don’t tend to select players like Flanders, that have been big improvers late in a season ????

Does anyone know who's in charge of the SANFL media (video) stuff ? Highlights for Finlay, Shute, Hilder and Day look like they're still to come.

So those in the know (WaynesWorld19, Mutineer), do you trade our 2019/1 for a top 10 pick this year considering how the draft is 'likely' to fall? Assuming our pick next year is in the 5-10 range

All the way back to 2006 for a SA Rising Star winner....
Lewis Taylor board.

Seriously that’s a useless stat, been plenty of successful SA players that haven’t won that award. And you could add a whole host of Vic and WA players who haven’t won it.

I don't think he's actually in contention to go that early. I think Melbourne are playing funny buggers, trying to anticipate who GWS might be keen on at Pick 3 and get a bit of mind games going. Think Cal Twomey has taken the bait there, he'll go around 8-15.
Thats my perception too.

There's just no logic to it otherwise. Like I originally alluded too, Cal Twomey making himself look like a bit of a twit again!

So those in the know (WaynesWorld19, Mutineer), do you trade our 2019/1 for a top 10 pick this year considering how the draft is 'likely' to fall? Assuming our pick next year is in the 5-10 range
TD15 .....I'm certainly not in the know ....just enjoy the challenge of trying to spot some talent

Lets say our 2020 draft pick is #8 .....would I trade for a similar pick this year .....no I wouldn't

Would I trade #8 next year for 2 x picks, say #17 & #20 this year ......that would have to be seriously considered

Would prefer to look at our pick #37 & #28 for GC's #15 ....if possible

I really don't get the Melbourne interested in Luke Jackson at 3 rumour. Max Gawn isn't even 28 yet. He's got minimum 4 years left as the #1 ruckman at that club. I get the you don't draft for immediate return, but this would be a case of stashing a pick #3 in the Magoo's until 2-3 years after his rookie contract expires? Or taking the best ruckman in the draft at 3, and hoping he can become a forward at the next level!

I think Cal Twomey is fast turning himself into a muppet with some of these predictions
Melbourne also have pick 8, they might be thinking of him there if he slides past Freo's 7 (which I doubt)

TD15 .....I'm certainly not in the know ....just enjoy the challenge of trying to spot some talent

Lets say our 2020 draft pick is #8 .....would I trade for a similar pick this year .....no I wouldn't

Would I trade #8 next year for 2 x picks, say #17 & #20 this year ......that would have to be seriously considered

Would prefer to look at our pick #37 & #28 for GC's #15 ....if possible
but now with GS's concessions, they aren't looking for later picks. I can't see them using a pick after 20 considering they have 1, 2, 15, 20, secured Ellis as a FA and then have the NT zone players to just pop on their list as well.

They certainly don't need pick 37

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but now with GS's concessions, they aren't looking for later picks. I can't see them using a pick after 20 considering they have 1, 2, 15, 20, secured Ellis as a FA and then have the NT zone players to just pop on their list as well.

They certainly don't need pick 37
There-in lies the problem .....which club, having mid teen picks, is looking for more picks ? ......GEEL ??

Does Cal Twomey really annoy anyone else?
I've heard a lot of content from him this year (1-2 podcast/week + trade period), and have been getting the exact same vibe from him as the year goes on. It seems like the level of excitement/ news around the draft now has really increased his own level of self importance. And now he's gone from a good and credible source of information on draftee's, to just another guy who trying too hard to be an 'edgy AFL newsbreaker'. I genuinely feel like he's heading down a very Sam McClure path of irritation.

I wouldn't say he's gone full Scoop just yet, but listening too him once or twice a week on those podcasts, I certainly seems like that's the direction he's headed!

Melbourne also have pick 8, they might be thinking of him there if he slides past Freo's 7 (which I doubt)
I think its far more likely that Melbourne are just trying to use it as a scare tactic to try and get Freo to move up from 7 and 10 and not miss out on LJ.

Melbourne would make the 3 for 7 and 10 trade in a heartbeat!

Freo won't though!

Our pick next year is likely to be a top 6 pick, no matter how many hopefuls on BF think otherwise, that's reality.

The currency we should be asking for our 2020 Pick 1 should be more or less the type of currency we should be asking for our Pick 4 this year, albeit slightly less considering the pick isn't guaranteed, and the 2020 draft is more compromised, but that's the nature of these trades, they're a gamble. I'm all for trading it, as i don't want GC or Pies lurking about wanting a top 6 pick for Luko or Grundy.

I would say our 2020 1st Pick, plus P37, 45 & 49 (equal to about Pick 15 in 'points') this year, for their Pick 6 and Next years 1st (likely Pick 15-20) plus something coming back to use in the way of a 3rd/4th round from GWS, would be a fair trade. This might seem slight unders for GWS, but just remember they're chasing the points in this scenario, will be getting a discount for Green anyway, and won't have a high pick chewed up. Would also help us again with points next year if these 2-3 NGA/FS players are coming in.

Has anyone noticed how many back end picks GWS have this year? They've left themselves with some better manoeuvrability than i first thought across this and next years drafts.

Above scenario leaves them with 37,40,49,59,60,80,94 (Equals 1850 points)
With a 20% discount they could a bid on Green from Pick 3 onwards.

Few caveats to this.

Other clubs, particularly GC, will also be able to trade with GWS to help them
I would find it strange that GWS would look to enter the top 8 in this years draft, only to trade back out of it
This trade would leave us with 4,6,23,28. Would this leave us with enough picks in the draft to fill list spots?? We would obviously then have the power to downgrade one of our P4/6 into a few more 1st round picks.

I don't get this.

They're trading (roughly) pick 6 and pick 16 for pick 6 and a bunch of late junk that adds up to pick 16.

Are they doing it hoping that we're worse than 6 next year?

With all those rubbish picks, they've done 8 or so delistings and only gotten Tom Green?

There-in lies the problem .....which club, having mid teen picks, is looking for more picks ? ......GEEL ??
Maybe there is a play with Freo for 22 who would need points for a Henry bid...although we all hope there is a bid at 9 for Henry :)

37, 45, 49 -> 22, 58, 69

But if a bid at 9 comes, we slide in with 23, 28 -> 10

Lewis Taylor board.

Seriously that’s a useless stat, been plenty of successful SA players that haven’t won that award. And you could add a whole host of Vic and WA players who haven’t won it.
If we're talking strictly 1st year players it's a pretty fair indication who has stood up to the "mature" bodies in their 1st season against the AFL "men" which was where my reference was aimed at with Dylan Stephens somehow being better than the Vic lads because he'd been playing SANFL against the men. It has nada to do with anything else.

This continued reference to SA draftees that have played against SANFL "men" as setting them up as something special because of it means very little in the grander scheme of the National Draft.

Lewy Taylor like all the other Rising Star winners had no difficulty stepping up to playing against the AFL "men" in their rookie year.

Unlike Dylan Stephens the only difference between him and Sam Flanders, Caleb Serong and Lachie Ash is as draftees they didn't have the opportunity. What I do know is the Vic Country midfield which included Serong, Flanders and Kemp dominated the SA midfield which included Stephens at the Championships and but for big games by Gould, Day, Hilder and Finlay in defence it would have been a far bigger margin.

VIC COUNTRY 2.2 5.3 6.6 9.9 (63)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA 1.3 3.6 6.7 9.8 (62)

GOALS
Vic Country:
Weightman 4, Cahill, Flanders, Hollands, Kemp, J. Smith
South Australia: Durdin 2, Mead 2, Gould, Morris, O’Brien, Sladojevic, Stephens

BEST
Vic Country:
Flanders, Serong, DeKoning, Weightman, Ash, Kemp
South Australia: Gould, Day, Hilder , Mead, Finlay, McEntee

Is it possible that Mead is bid on before pick 18? That wipes out Ports pick and our 20's pick moves up. Id be asking Geelong a little favour for paying so much of Jenkins salary can they bid at 16....

I think our pick next year will be around 12 with bids so no club will do this.

I think we need to have a first next year if Lukosius is an option so I think the best you’d see is a slide from say Brisbane or Geelong. Similar to Carlton trade.

AFC F1
Geelong F1, 17

I don't get this.

They're trading (roughly) pick 6 and pick 16 for pick 6 and a bunch of late junk that adds up to pick 16.

Are they doing it hoping that we're worse than 6 next year?

With all those rubbish picks, they've done 8 or so delistings and only gotten Tom Green?

If GWS can’t work out a deal with Melb or us, or feel like they’re giving up too much to get in front of P6, then by doing the above they at least PRESERVE a high draft pick for next year in the form of our 1st round pick, which should be top 6.

Then by us also trading our late 2019 picks to them, coupled with their own 2019 late picks, they’ll have enough points (including 20% discount) to match any bid on Green this year from Pick 3 onwards, without gobbling up any of their 2020 picks (including ours)

GWS have 3 options:

1) Trade with Crows/Melb to move up in the draft, and pick up 1 gun player, and then also Green when a bid comes in
2) Simply match a bid on Green when it comes through at 3/4/5, and watch their Pick 6 get gobbled up
3) Do the above trade scenario if it doesn’t look like Crows/Melb are going to let them move up in the draft.

Option 1 gives them 2 x gun players this year inside the top 10 and none next year
Option 2 gives 1 x gun player inside the Top 10 this year (Green), and none next year
Option 3 gives them 1 x gun player inside the Top 10 this year, and 1 top 10 player next year.

Option 1 - Best case scenario
Option 2 - Worst case scenario
Option 3 - Hedging their bets

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back