2019 Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Right through footballing history there is a litany of average players who have played in good teams, won premierships and even won individual honours.

Conca was in the B22 of the 2018 minor premiers, so he gets a game for us. It’s just that I’m not greatly confident that he’ll be a top 5 player based on feedback I’ve had from Richmond fans - I am hoping that Hogan will deliver that.
I really don't think anyone is expecting him to be top 5, just to make a solid contribution and not be liability.

I really don't think anyone is expecting him to be top 5, just to make a solid contribution and not be liability.
Nobody that I have read has said anything like that. We're building a group of 30 players who deserve a game, and he is comfortably in the best 22 of that group. And as an experienced player he will be picked for round 1.

DP played all the games in 2013 to 2015.

Chris Masten just won a premiership.

Are you starting to see the flaw in your argument?
To be fair, DP was a good player in 2013/14. He was great for inside 50s and run 70mtr plays. His decline was just quite drastic like the whole team in 2016 onwards.

To be fair, DP was a good player in 2013/14. He was great for inside 50s and run 70mtr plays. His decline was just quite drastic like the whole team in 2016 onwards.

For mine he was already showing his weaknesses in 2013 - turning the ball over badly or simply belting it high and long with no hope of anyone in purple marking. And of course he had a particularly unmemorable GF.

Nobody that I have read has said anything like that. We're building a group of 30 players who deserve a game, and he is comfortably in the best 22 of that group. And as an experienced player he will be picked for round 1.

AS I said - mature body, can run both ways all game and shouldn't make too many mistakes. Valuable for us as a support for Fyfe around the contest.

I just did the ladder predictor & we ended up 6th after the home & away games.
The caveat is that I am as biased as all F@#$, & I had the chardonnays not win a single game :D:p
we lost to Richmond in the semi-final, having beaten Adelaide in the elimination final.
One can dream!
I recommend you all having a go at it. :):cool:
http://www.afl.com.au/ladder/ladder-predictor#/round/1

I just did the ladder predictor & we ended up 6th after the home & away games.
The caveat is that I am as biased as all F@#$, & I had the chardonnays not win a single game :D:p
we lost to Richmond in the semi-final, having beaten Adelaide in the elimination final.
One can dream!
I recommend you all having a go at it. :):cool:
http://www.afl.com.au/ladder/ladder-predictor#/round/1
Going to be another even season, so every game counts. If we start the year well, we could sneak an extra win or two. I had to tip our home derby just because if we don’t win a fricken derby soon, I’ll go crazy!

I’m thinking 10-12 wins would be a GOOD year for us.

12+ would be GREAT (finals?)

8-10 wins would be about par (assuming we have some key injuries to our 25yo+ guys that exposes our young midfield. The following only play up to 15 games: Sandi-calf, Bennell-calf, SHill-quad, Fyfe-who knows what it’ll be this time... achilles is about the only thing he hasn’t injured before, Walters-knee, Blakely-shoulder, Mundy-calf). Yeaaahhh Blakely isn’t 25yo, but he needs to play like he is!

Less than 8 wins: injuries as above plus sweet fa performance wise from our 23yo+ boys: McCarthy, Matera, Tabs, Conca, Colyer, Lobb, Bewley.

Doig: Fyfe
Beacon: Valente (Bewley too old?)
Most goals: Hogan - 42
Most improved: so many coming back from injuries... but I’ll say Brayshaw will regularly get 25+ touches and 5 tackles

What I really want to see: for us to have a 100pt WIN. Really put a team away. Multiple 4+ goal kickers in one game. A couple of away wins, and no more than two or three losses over 60pts.

Mon da Dockers!

D880DDD0-18A8-4501-B9D7-480EE8A26277.jpeg 5218FA5E-8002-44D6-AE16-3F38B20E0030.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very much hoping that all the optimism is right on the money.

In my current role as a negative Nellie I had a look at how much better we needed to be in 2018 to play finals. If we were a 6 goal per game better team in 2018 we would have won 13 games and may have just squeaked into 8th spot ahead of Geelong on percentage. It is a big step up to truly get into finals contention.

Just to be balanced, I do think the club has done well to get the list to where it is at now in 3 trade and draft periods. I hope we have the coaching panel to do good things with the cattle.

Very balanced article IMO.
Yeah it is a pretty bland but fair article.

A couple of minor points I would make;

622 games experience walk out the door with MJ, D Pearce and Spurr leaving, but no mention that only MJ played last season. I also would have liked a little discussion about Bewley and perhaps Schultz. Indeed, as a team in development mode, the strategy Fremantle have been using to bring in more mature players with later picks (Banfield, Switkowski) is worth some analysis. No significant comment about the implications for how our game plan may unfold given the characteristics of the current list is disappointing.

Articles that enter into discussions like this are for more interesting imo.

As a young group there appears to be a change in mental strength, discipline, and leadership. The things that cannot be
coached but come from within to leave no stone unturned.
Under Lyon our best footy was uncompromising, I'm expecting back to the future a year similar to 2012.

Some serious nut jobs in the comments section at the bottom of that write up. They make BF posters seem informed and impartial.

I read the first 8 comments and it became apparent that I was heading into an alternative reality that I'm just not prepared for.

Kind of like Deliverance when they head into hillbilly country.

As a young group there appears to be a change in mental strength, discipline, and leadership. The things that cannot be
coached but come from within to leave no stone unturned.
Under Lyon our best footy was uncompromising, I'm expecting back to the future a year similar to 2012.
Do you mean ‘character?’ I think the club have made it pretty obvious they’ve been targeting players with good character over the past three years and with guys like Fyfe, Sonny, Pearce and Neale showing them first hand, it looks like a pretty easy squad to coach.

Putting aside injury, can't predict that...

Our new faces in defence aren't new anymore. They will at the least be as competitive as the last 2 years, but will probably work even better as a team. Logue back in and we have an extra and excellent, long kick out of defence and he will give tackles that you wouldn't want to be on the end of. But a better forward line will help the defenders, less rebounding from there helps them and scoreboard pressure will make for a few frazzled opponents which always helps. I think we give away 9 points less with these things combined.

As for the forward line... What I've seen of Lobb and Hogan, they are mature enough and thrive on teamwork and aren't solitary heros, it will take a while for the players to all gel, but I think they'll get there sooner rather than later. The structure changes for the better and McCarthy will thrive and the smalls will finally be able to crumb to effect. Based just on the addition of skill we are improved by a goal a game, once the chemistry is there between players, that will improve further. So starting with 6 points for and improving to the end of the year for 9-12 points. As good as Hogan is, it is a team game and our forwards will perform in periods like a rabble instead of a well oiled team.

The midfield is well covered. We lose a talented, calm and capable head with Lachie, but the likes of Brayshaw and other babes in swaddling come in with an extra year in the system, stronger, better built and knowing the system. If there are no more accidental surfs instead of visits to training (slipped and fell into the ocean a few hundred km away, a good thing he had his surfboard in hand or he might have drowned), Blakely will step in and monster the role. Sandi/Lobb/Darcy along with Fyfe and Blakely give us a big bodied and strong midfield, but the youngsters will still underperform unless the midfield spots require merit rather than being given for training purpose like this year (Brayshaw and others have a while to go before they can match Lachie Neales output). But can the midfielders send the ball forward better - that will be the deciding factor on which our fortunes are built for the year methinks.

The minimum we'll get is PA 1843, PF 1754, which makes 95% in 2019 up from 2018's 76% and we will have enough wins to come anywhere from 7th to 12th (spanked soundly a few times by the better teams) - we won't have the chemistry, tank, mans bodies or enough maturity in the team, will still fade out in q4 and the end of the year (not as much). Vastly improved on the last 3 years and set for a ripper year in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back