Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t care who agrees with me and anyone with a brain can see that

I’m backing in our coach to continue being who he is and supporting the players he brings in.

How that is negative or pessimistic is baffling.

But nice tangent to deflect from the smacking you just received

Have a great sleep and hopefully tomorrow is a wonderful day for you

Exactly how did you give me a smacking? My point was that you wouldn't be willing to go out on a limb and put out your own 22 for others to criticise and you proved me right. You bringing up deflecting is as ironic as it gets.

Exactly how did you give me a smacking? My point was that you wouldn't be willing to go out on a limb and put out your own 22 for others to criticise and you proved me right. You bringing up deflecting is as ironic as it gets.

I’ve said I will when I know who we have

We could bring in 3-5 best 22 players in the draft and they could be anyone so how can I put a team down when I don’t have the relevant information

All I said is Duryea will be in it, I gave you the reasons why he will be in it

So when I do put it up I await your criticism and it won’t even rate a blip on my radar :)

So carry on making things up and enjoy your night ;)

I’ve said I will when I know who we have

We could bring in 3-5 best 22 players in the draft and they could be anyone so how can I put a team down when I don’t have the relevant information

All I said is Duryea will be in it, I gave you the reasons why he will be in it

So when I do put it up I await your criticism and it won’t even rate a blip on my radar :)

So carry on making things up and enjoy your night ;)

Ouch, savage idealogical beating you've given me there. Gonna have to go sleep that one off

You too mate, have a good one

I have Duryea, wallis, Boyd, Gowers, Dickson, Lipinski, Jong and dale out of my team.

FB: Morris Cordy Crozier
HB: Williams Naughton JJ
C: Richards Macrae Hunter
HF: Mclean Schache Lloyd
FF: West English Lynch
R: Trengove Bonti Libba

IC: Dunkley, Daniel, Wood, Suckling

Hard to see Dickson, Picken, suckling and Morris playing consistently in 2019.

I’ve gone with west and lynch forward ahead of guys like Dickson, duryea, wallis and Gowers.

I like west for his defensive pressure and lynch is just dangerous with his speed and kicking. Keen to see him play forward more in 2019. They’re just more dynamic than wallis, duryea and Dickson. Gowers unlucky.

English ahead of Boyd cos he’s just better (sadly).

I have Duryea, wallis, Boyd, Gowers, Dickson, Lipinski, Jong and dale out of my team.

I’ve gone with west and lynch forward ahead of guys like Dickson, duryea, wallis and Gowers.

I like west for his defensive pressure and lynch is just dangerous with his speed and kicking. Keen to see him play forward more in 2019. They’re just more dynamic than wallis, duryea and Dickson. Gowers unlucky.

There's a case to be made for a lot of those decisions, but if we start Brad Lynch as a forward over our leading goal scorer I'll throw up.

Hard to pick out our best midfield and small forward spots, however one thing I am certain of is our spine is looking really good, however it is lacking depth:
Key Backs: Aaron Naughton, Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy (Roberts and Young depth)
Key Forwards: Josh Schache (no depth)
Rucks: Tim English (no depth)
Ruck/Forwards: Tom Boyd (Campbell depth)
Ruck/Backs: Jackson Trengove (no depth)

We obviously have an abundance of medium defenders which is also extremely hard to narrow down to about 3 or 4 who would be in our best 22. I would imagine a few will be released further up the ground, however that then gives us a selection headache there. A good problem to have but very annoying when trying to create a theoretical best 22 for the season ahead!

Why you so down on Gowers fronk? I get you're a fan of the more classy, natural footballer. I am too but I think you underrate him a bit. Kicked 26.20 this year in a better functioning forward line it's not a big stretch to think hed kick 35+ (please work on your set shots billy) which easily gets him a place in our best forward line. Plus hes one of the few on our list that can make a goal out of nothing and his aggression is much needed. Hes definitely not perfect but I'd be surprised if he didnt play every single game when fit.

FB: Morris - Naughton - Wood
HB: Johannisen - Cordy - Duryea
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Suckling
HF: Dickson/Lloyd - Schache - Richards
FF: Gowers - Boyd - Wallis
R: Trengove - Dunkley - Macrae
I: Williams - McLean - Crozier - Daniel

Lipinski unlucky. Libba and Picken need to show where they're at before I put them in. Wood's under threat if he can't string some consistent form together for mine; that back half is extremely competitive. The forward half lacks pressure and goal kicking. Dickson and Lloyd will fight it out for one position. I'm not sold on Richards forward (and wasn't far off replacing him with Greene) but he's a good player and should be playing AFL. The list is very unbalanced towards defensive talent and as a result of this we're going to have another year of non-forwards embarrassing themselves in the forward line on a consistent basis.

Side note: Brad Lynch is a long way away from my team.

Last 2 spots in the best 22 came down to Williams, Daniel and Duryea for me. Haven't seen enough of Duryea to put him in front of Daniel's decision making and kicking efficiency. And i like Williams' size

Pre draft:

Wood - Cordy - Morris
Crozier - Naughton - JJ
Hunter - Lib - Richards
Wallis - Schache - McLean
Gowers - Boyd - Lloyd
Trengrove - Bont - Macrae

Dunkley - Daniel - Suckling - Picken

West, Lip, English all push into that team by end of year hopefully. Maybe pick 7 if it’s a mid.

Forgot Williams. He obviously plays. Dunno where.

We really need another forward. Stringer would’ve been perfect if he had a brain. Confident in the rest of the team.

Not sure where Duryea fits.

Cordy - Trengove - Morris
Suckling - Naughton - JJ
Hunter - Macrae - McLean
Wallis - Schache - Picken
Dickson - Boyd - Gowers
English - Bont - Libba

Daniel - Dunks - Wood - Williams

Apologies to Crozier Duryea Dale Richards and Lloyd - for more mobility at the expense of English (Trengove to ruck and Crozier, Duryea or Richards to play HB)

Found it hard to keep Wood in the side and if has another similar season to last the captain may not make the starting 22

Just my opinion but Tom Boyd doesn’t have the walk up right to be best 22.

Would prefer Trengrove and English.

Boyd needs to become elite at some facet of the game. At least Trengrove (as a ruck he is great at getting clearances and can find the ball) and English (reach, athleticism and marking) some elite traits.

Boyd doesn’t have any apart from a good football brain

Just my opinion but Tom Boyd doesn’t have the walk up right to be best 22.

Would prefer Trengrove and English.

Boyd needs to become elite at some facet of the game. At least Trengrove (as a ruck he is great at getting clearances and can find the ball) and English (reach, athleticism and marking) some elite traits.

Boyd doesn’t have any apart from a good football brain

I agree! I’d have him as back up while English and Trengrove split the ruck 60/40. There’s not much that separates trengrove and Boyd in my view except for a greater combativeness and presence from trengrove that’s essential to a good ruck/forward. Boyd’s never consistently shown that competitiveness and until he does I’m not sure he’s an afl quality player.

Either one of them should be playing second fiddle to English next year imo just so he doesn’t tire himself out. If they can give him that chop out he could really elevate himself to be one of our best players next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world those sides look good but we know that's not how it will be. Here's a more realistic line-up:

B: JJ Trengove Cordy
HB: Daniel Naughton Crozier
C: Williams Macrae Hunter
HF: McLean Schache Lloyd
F: Greene Gowers Wallis

R: English, Bontempelli, Dunkley

Int: Suckling, Richards, Lipinski, Duryea

Not considered:
Wood (quad/hamstring)
Boyd (back)
Webb (neck)
Liberatore (knee)
Dickson (groin)
Dale (foot)
Lynch (hamstring)
Picken (concussion)
Jong (shoulder)
Morris (cyborg circuitry)

This has been our reality for the last two years. Can't see why we should expect it to get better just because "we're due" or because everyone has had the off season to recover. It didn't help much in 2017 or 2018.

I toyed with including Bont (hip), English (foot) and Williams (foot) in the "not considered" list but it was just too depressing.

The beauty of starting out like this is that if any of Dickson, Libba, Wood, Morris, Boyd or Picken should actually be fit and firing then it's a real bonus. Better than starting all dreamy eyed and then being confronted with a double-digit injury list before Round 1 even starts. Most sides have to cover for at least 4-5 injuries most weeks so it's hardly doomsaying. In fact I'd say it's one aspect of the game in which we're elite.

It's still a competitive side but not one that's likely to strike fear into the hearts of opposing clubs, nor finish in the top 8. In particular it's very exposed in the ruck.

Maybe a first year player will surprise us like Richards and Naughton did? West should get a few games and maybe our pick 7 (Clark/B Smith/B King) can play 10-12. If we draft Clark I think he could play most of the season because he has already been playing against seniors, hasn't he? A bit like Naughton arrived ready to rumble after playing a fair bit of seniors as a 17yo.

In an ideal world those sides look good but we know that's not how it will be. Here's a more realistic line-up:

B: JJ Trengove Cordy
HB: Daniel Naughton Crozier
C: Williams Macrae Hunter
HF: McLean Schache Lloyd
F: Greene Gowers Wallis

R: English, Bontempelli, Dunkley

Int: Suckling, Richards, Lipinski, Duryea

Not considered:
Wood (quad/hamstring)
Boyd (back)
Webb (neck)
Liberatore (knee)
Dickson (groin)
Dale (foot)
Lynch (hamstring)
Picken (concussion)
Jong (shoulder)
Morris (cyborg circuitry)

This has been our reality for the last two years. Can't see why we should expect it to get better just because "we're due" or because everyone has had the off season to recover. It didn't help much in 2017 or 2018.

I toyed with including Bont (hip), English (foot) and Williams (foot) in the "not considered" list but it was just too depressing.

The beauty of starting out like this is that if any of Dickson, Libba, Wood, Morris, Boyd or Picken should actually be fit and firing then it's a real bonus. Better than starting all dreamy eyed and then being confronted with a double-digit injury list before Round 1 even starts. Most sides have to cover for at least 4-5 injuries most weeks so it's hardly doomsaying. In fact I'd say it's one aspect of the game in which we're elite.

It's still a competitive side but not one that's likely to strike fear into the hearts of opposing clubs, nor finish in the top 8. In particular it's very exposed in the ruck.

Maybe a first year player will surprise us like Richards and Naughton did? West should get a few games and maybe our pick 7 (Clark/B Smith/B King) can play 10-12. If we draft Clark I think he could play most of the season because he has already been playing against seniors, hasn't he? A bit like Naughton arrived ready to rumble after playing a fair bit of seniors as a 17yo.
How serious is Dickson’s injury? Fully fit I would pick him ahead of all 5 of the medium forwards you have in the team currently.

How serious is Dickson’s injury? Fully fit I would pick him ahead of all 5 of the medium forwards you have in the team currently.
On paper they're probably all fit and healthy right now (except for Gowers' broken wrist).

I agree if Dickson is fit and well he is still a walk up start in the seniors.

My point is not so much which players are injured but that we need to see what our side looks like with say 5-10 players out. It could be a completely different injury list to the one I've named.

It's about the reality of never having your full complement available.

Some terrific analyses on Reddit recently.

Thanks for posting that. Really interesting, balanced analysis and something I wouldn’t have otherwise seen. I don’t mind that team to be honest but agree with their comment on the obvious omissions. Young perhaps benefits from a small sample size, perhaps evidenced in swapping Cordy in the 2018 team? Richards too possibly has a steeper ‘trajectory’ of improvement that the type of analysis based on averages wouldn’t pick up so I’d expect he’d be in the side.

I liked the comment about playing Bont wherever he wants. He really is a generational talent that the club and team has to build around.

Thanks for posting that. Really interesting, balanced analysis and something I wouldn’t have otherwise seen. I don’t mind that team to be honest but agree with their comment on the obvious omissions. Young perhaps benefits from a small sample size, perhaps evidenced in swapping Cordy in the 2018 team? Richards too possibly has a steeper ‘trajectory’ of improvement that the type of analysis based on averages wouldn’t pick up so I’d expect he’d be in the side.

I liked the comment about playing Bont wherever he wants. He really is a generational talent that the club and team has to build around.
It's of course not a perfect analysis as nothing is, but I thought it was a cool approach with some interesting findings.

The outside mid side of things was the biggest talking point for mine. I think, while we all know we've struggled with our connections forward of centre for quite some time, most of us have pegged the lack of forwards as the biggest contributor. This post does seem to suggest that our lack of genuine contributors outside of the contest is our most significant problem.

Greene was a shock too. Small sample size and all that but it's promising for sure.

Don't know how you could have Wallis out of the side? He's head and shoulders (bad pun) above Daniel currently.

I agree with most of the rest. I'd love to see some real improvement from Boyd, forcing English into the ruck more permanently although he's probably a year or so off that. Nothing against Trengove but I would like to see him struggling to get a spot in our best 22 as a by-product of others performance.

Morris Naughton Wood
JJ Cordy Crozier
Williams Dunkley Hunter
Mclean Schache Richards
Wallis Boyd Gowers
Trengove Bont Macrae

West, Libba, Daniel, Smith

Plenty of players right on the fringes to make their way in, particularly English who should really be first choice ruck by the end of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back