2019 Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Live footage from Bigfooty supercoach HQ after news of official opening:

It's like a really, really, really bad copy of a Talking Heads video.

With starting rookies tending to max out in price at a similar round, and only having 2 trades per round, has anybody had experience with staggering their starting rookies?

Basically start with a non playing rookie on each line who is expected to play soon, opposed to 0 or 1 no playing rookie for VC loopholing.

Thus these rookies max out at a later date instead all at once, which also provides a loophole on each line.

Seems very risky with rookies being dropped but very curious on the outcomes if people have taken this strategy.

With starting rookies tending to max out in price at a similar round, and only having 2 trades per round, has anybody had experience with staggering their starting rookies?

Basically start with a non playing rookie on each line who is expected to play soon, opposed to 0 or 1 no playing rookie for VC loopholing.

Thus these rookies max out at a later date instead all at once, which also provides a loophole on each line.

Seems very risky with rookies being dropped but very curious on the outcomes if people have taken this strategy.
Only worth it with players that are almost certain to play early. Done that a few times but only 1,2 at most, not on every line. Think Zorko was one.
Rookies often peak at different times anyway due to starting price/injury/non selection and scoring. The risk of stifling cash generation is too great if they don't play till late/not at all.
Certainly more worthwhile if they serve another purpose i.e Captain loop and/or DPP like Keefe last year.

Saw this on FB and had to screenshot to post here. Not sure why but it straight away made me think of Here2tellyouwhy
View attachment 605180
Look at the cheeky little buggers grin, caught watching Barrass highlights no doubt

Pfffft my mum drank cheap wine straight from the cask and preferred joints.

Hey Ma. Would you look at me now :drunk:

Wouldn't go that route, potentially too much dead wood occupying space on your bench, and they appreciate at different rates and have different ceilings anyway.
Walsh, e.g., has a high price for a genuine rookie, they generally don't do too well, but if he really looks ok and to be getting a sustained run, he could even provide bye coverage and be turfed at rd 13, way later than the lowest price blokes, etc.
Think one dedicated floating donut is ok, others will come and go based on form, injury etc.

Just on the Tom Mitchell injury scenario - IMO Worpel and Wingard are the ones that benefit the most. Worpel too risky for a standard pick IMO but Wingard has now replaced Heeney in my side. I think both can average similar ~100-105 but Wingard is 50k cheaper. I'm back on the Robbie Gray train with no Wingard either.

Gray played major mid minutes until round 12 when Wingard took his role, and was averaging 108.
Wingard averaged 102.75 once he went to midfield in round 12.

Would make them the number 2 and 3 forwards of last year extrapolated over a season. Add Danger and done.

Just on the Tom Mitchell injury scenario - IMO Worpel and Wingard are the ones that benefit the most. Worpel too risky for a standard pick IMO but Wingard has now replaced Heeney in my side. I think both can average similar ~100-105 but Wingard is 50k cheaper. I'm back on the Robbie Gray train with no Wingard either.

Gray played major mid minutes until round 12 when Wingard took his role, and was averaging 108.
Wingard averaged 102.75 once he went to midfield in round 12.

Would make them the number 2 and 3 forwards of last year extrapolated over a season. Add Danger and done.
giphy-55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back