2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
What was the crowd at the GABBA yesterday? Looked a large crowd for a non Lions game with the bays of seats on the top tier open to spectators right around to the wing on the ‘outer’ side which I haven’t seen much of...

Looked like up to 2/3 of this level had spectators in seats. 6-7,000?

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Channel Seven also had a massive boost!

Seven
said its coverage across rounds 9-12 reached 4.7 million people nationally and 3.69 million in metro markets.

The network reported average national audiences of 702,000, up 18 per cent on the same time last year, and an average metro audience of 538,000, up 24.2 per cent on the same time last year.

In Melbourne, audiences had leapt a staggering 37.9 per cent, while in Brisbane - where the Victorian clubs are housed in hubs and the majority of matches are played - there had been a significant leap of 24.6 per cent in a rugby-league market the AFL is keen to win.

Seven had strong ratings for Thursday night matches but there was a no year-on-year comparison.

However, a detailed breakdown of the other major timeslots has shown a 23 per cent lift nationally and 27.7 lift in metro regions on a Friday night, a 35.4 per cent lift nationally and 35 per cent metro increase on Saturday nights, while Sunday afternoon matches are up 17.8 nationally and 23.8 in metro regions.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Solid numbers again yesterday

483K Metro with the Eagles game on delay in perth (not sure about the crows game in Adelaide)

Good numbers on foxtel as well without any big Melbourne teams playing

Interesting also that Mediaspy are presenting age group breakdowns for foxtel

Key takeaway is that the AFL skews young compared to the NRL.

Overall the Lions Saints game was the highest rated but only marginally ahead of the Knights Cowboys

1598229866796.png

...but by the time you drill down into the 16 -39 age group the top NRL game has almost dropped behind the bottom AFL game....

1598230258947.png

Attachments

• 1598229933326.png
    1598229933326.png
    15 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Interesting also that Mediaspy are presenting age group breakdowns for foxtel

Key takeaway is that the AFL skews young compared to the NRL.

I noticed that.....interesting. I've been following the demos for a while and it's also noticeable that Brisbane skews young as well. Despite having a lot less overall viewers, the Lions game had more 16-39s watching than the Crows and Eagles did in Adelaide & Perth (which admittedly is not reflective of much on its own given Adelaide's horrendous year and the Eagles game was delayed by a few hours). But it is a pretty consistent trend. Saturday night (Rich-Ess) had only slightly less viewers in 16-39 in Brisbane than Adelaide. I can't really compare it to the NRL up there because the NRL rarely makes the top 5 shows in any demo.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I noticed that.....interesting. I've been following the demos for a while and it's also noticeable that Brisbane skews young as well. Despite having a lot less overall viewers, the Lions game had more 16-39s watching than the Crows and Eagles did in Adelaide & Perth (which admittedly is not reflective of much on its own given Adelaide's horrendous year and the Eagles game was delayed by a few hours). But it is a pretty consistent trend. Saturday night (Rich-Ess) had only slightly less viewers in 16-39 in Brisbane than Adelaide. I can't really compare it to the NRL up there because the NRL rarely makes the top 5 shows in any demo.

That's right. It could be that it is a bit skewed due to sampling error (as I am pretty sure the ratings boxes stay in homes for extended periods) but it certainly makes logical sense. Kids who have been carpet bombed with game development initiatives and perhaps influenced by going to school with expat kids leading to generational change over time.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
7,500 they are currently allowing for Carlton vs Collingwood at the GABBA. By far the biggest allocation for neutral teams in QLD this year. I still think it sells out and they might be forced to add more. Will be interesting with the current worry about the small covid outbreak in South Brisbane atm.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
7,500 they are currently allowing for Carlton vs Collingwood at the GABBA. By far the biggest allocation for neutral teams in QLD this year. I still think it sells out and they might be forced to add more. Will be interesting with the current worry about the small covid outbreak in South Brisbane atm.
For first time in 17 games i have attended this season (16 metricon and 1 gabba), when i go this thursday night i will be wearing my mask for the walk into the ground from my car as crowds bunch up at the traffic lights and as you go in through the turnstyles. And again on way out. When the game is on the social distancing is sufficient with empty rows in front and behind me, and spare seats between me and other attendees.

No chance this game goes to general public with a 7500 cap.

Carlton and Collingwood have a huge Queensland supporter base and that is before mentioning their historic rivalry with one another.

Last night's game between Collingwood and North was a smaller crowd than expected though.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
No chance this game goes to general public with a 7500 cap.

Carlton and Collingwood have a huge Queensland supporter base and that is before mentioning their historic rivalry with one another.

Last night's game between Collingwood and North was a smaller crowd than expected though.

I wouldnt think so either, but if it does i would say the public sales wouldnt last long.

I wouldnt think so either, but if it does i would say the public sales wouldnt last long.
Carlton v Port Adelaide was sold out the day it went on sale and was capped at 4000.

It's frustrating the AFL have severely underestimated how popular the game actually is up here.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Carlton v Port Adelaide was sold out the day it went on sale and was capped at 4000.

It's frustrating the AFL have severely underestimated how popular the game actually is up here.

Is it possible they are keeping people hungry for the finals? Or is it just that they are actually losing money when opening up to fans?

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Is it possible they are keeping people hungry for the finals? Or is it just that they are actually losing money when opening up to fans?

Everyone i have spoken to (GABBA, Metricon, CFC membership) all say the same thing. The AFL cannot afford to open up to more fans as they are losing money even opening up to these small amounts. The Carlton games have been ridiculously underestimated. However it is starting to seem a bit easier to get a ticket to most games now.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
As expected, Carlton vs Collingwood sold out the 7500 allocated tickets.

Edit: Seems to be some more left, said sold out this morning when i checked, possible more released or the website was faulty.

Last edited:

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
They've now openend the bottom level of the Gabba for sunday. For anyone who has been tracking this has not happened this year outside of a Lions game. Could be a monster (covid-era) crowd.

Back