Competitions 2020 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

North have a few spots, particularly depth/developing to bolster in this current period. While the midfield is in need of attention, tall forwards are at a premium.
Additionally ruck depth for post Goldstein and his insurance Campbell, is limited to Xerri and Comben who is forward first and likely no more than a pinch hitter in the ruck. For this reason, while considering a stand alone KPF with upside who shall remain nameless, North Melbourne select

Pick 34 - NM - Shannon Neale

More attracted this high for his forward credentials, Neale projects as a genuine 50/50 ruck forward, which should complement the developing Xerri quite well.
While still very raw, Neale sits in the upper levels of this draft class for speed, endurance and athleticism. His vertical leap for such a big man is a weapon so
possesses largely untapped upside either in the ruck or as a hard working, hard running forward target. I bypassed the genuine key forwards at the top of the
draft in favour of the talents of Hollands and am pleased a suitable option is available this far in to the draft. Subscribing to the SOS list build method of acquiring talls before concentrating on the midfielders. (Although bank on the Kangas attempting to make Josh Kelly the richest player in the game next year)

Next up the Blues first pick with The Dominator7
:sadv1: That's who I wanted stupid bid

Wanna do a Player swap for Western? NFL Style

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
....having assumed the Wickster matches, at Pick #36 Carlton bids on Essendon NGA player Cody Brand

Why? - again this is a case of needs matching talent, and IMO he’s the best of the remaining KPD’s available and would likely have attracted more interest in an open draft. We’re in a toughish spot this year for KPD’s with some nice ones early, some raw ones late, and others like Highmore (another projected around this mark) in the 192-3cm undersized region.

Good hands, good stopper, good competitor and hoping to add some production as he develops

If I can’t get a pure KPD here I’m looking at utilities or later in the draft/rookie - in all likelihood in we get a DFA for coverage next year too.

What say you Sin City ?
He’s all yours The Dominator7

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge
You beauty, thanks Sin

....next on the talent/needs bidding spree, at Pick #37 Carlton bids on Brisbane NGA prospect Blake Coleman.

Why? He probably goes higher in the real thing, he’s a different small fwd to Rioli. He’s 181cm and takes a good mark, good kick and also explosive pace/x-factor when it hits the deck. Likely to play close to goal and needs to work on the tank but if you’ve seen his brother debut for the Lions last season, he’s a similar type though supposedly more developed...yes please.

What say you HARKER

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
:sadv1: That's who I wanted stupid bid

Wanna do a Player swap for Western? NFL Style

If we get him with pick 31 next Wednesday, it will be an amazing result for the club.

Perfect long-term Casboult replacement. Really hope our recruiters are putting the time and effort into him.

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Dominator throwing his weight around like he's either Andre The Giant or some 5"7 pissant from Caulfield who strutted around on his toes and left em in his wake all over the field...and off.

Auditioning for Dodo’s job Terry and getting the airtime, just getting the head wobble and strutt down pat

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
You beauty, thanks Sin

....next on the talent/needs bidding spree, at Pick #37 Carlton bids on Brisbane NGA prospect Blake Coleman.

Why? He probably goes higher in the real thing, he’s a different small fwd to Rioli. He’s 181cm and takes a good mark, good kick and also explosive pace/x-factor when it hits the deck. Likely to play close to goal and needs to work on the tank but if you’ve seen his brother debut for the Lions last season, he’s a similar type though supposedly more developed...yes please.

What say you HARKER

Good get Dom, also understand Sin City may have a couple of gems

Well done both of you

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Might be an idea to check the sums

Richmond also have pick #61 which should come down to around 45 i think
Richmond do have another pick, but the payment for a one pick upgrade was way less than the full points value of the pick.

when you match a bid, the remaining points does it give you an extra pick or upgrade your next pick?
I believe it gives you a pick, slotted into the order where designated by the highest points value it can purchase, then the order moves around that.

I remember asking about specifics back when it was first introduced, but they elude me now.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
You beauty, thanks Sin

What say you HARKER

Another great bid

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
....having assumed the Wickster matches, at Pick #36 Carlton bids on Essendon NGA player Cody Brand

Why? - again this is a case of needs matching talent, and IMO he’s the best of the remaining KPD’s available and would likely have attracted more interest in an open draft. We’re in a toughish spot this year for KPD’s with some nice ones early, some raw ones late, and others like Highmore (another projected around this mark) in the 192-3cm undersized region.

Good hands, good stopper, good competitor and hoping to add some production as he develops

If I can’t get a pure KPD here I’m looking at utilities or later in the draft/rookie - in all likelihood in we get a DFA for coverage next year too.

What say you Sin City ?
For the record, would have turned 40 and 83 into 36 and 62.

You beauty, thanks Sin

What say you HARKER
If HARKER accepts, the bid just eats pick 49, with the single point left over drifting off into the breeze, unused.

Moment of silence for that which was lost to a rounding error.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Have player selected and write up done if Dom doesn't take mine first after Harker finally matches.Been up with sick kid since 4am. She has been out twice already and I am going to try to get some bloody sleep. Old man's bladder/prostate will wake me soon enough if there is finally some action to offer pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You beauty, thanks Sin

What say you HARKER
Im thinking this bid gets matched with the lions committed to Coleman and even talked about the Pies making a 1st round bid on him if we are to believe some in the media.

You beauty, thanks Sin

What say you HARKER

Would have liked him a little later on, but we're keeping the brothers together.

Brisbane take Blake Coleman

Back to you The Dominator7

The Dominator7

Unleash Finbar's Fury
Sep 22, 2016
D'Amico Republic
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OK TV time over and the bidding comes to an end, I briefly considered bidding on Connor Downie, and he may well go before this, but unlike the others I bid on, I’m not sure I want him - and if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

So with pick #38 the Blues select WA prospect Isaiah Winder

Why? Speed speed speed and this lad can take a grab and is a good kick also averaged 27.8 disposals in the WA Colts side. Recently at the combine tested elite for Speed, Agility and Vertical but also has the ability to go up the ground if he develops. The Smoking Gun put me onto him months ago before his elite combine testing, so well spotted after slapping me back to sanity for throwing out Pickett as a PSSD option.

The AFL Draft Central is also with him, their write up says... “One of, if not the most explosive, dynamic and game-changing small in this year’s AFL Draft Pool”...bit much I would have thought, that’s a lot of mayo for someone rated around 40 in the pool

Apparently needs to work on the tank and consistency but with more x-factor than an Altiyan Childs and Dami Im lovechild, I’m happy to take him

Too much TV time and now I’m cracking gags and head wobbling like Jeremias on his coffee date with Cal Toomey ...it’s time to move on.

Over to you Coona Blues

Good get Dom, also understand Sin City may have a couple of gems

Well done both of you

He’s got a better eye for this stuff than me, so looking forward to his picks.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Pick 38 - North Melbourne - Isaiah Winder

X Factor. Small forward/midfielder/small defender.
Spectacular testing at WA Combine leading both 20m sprint and vertical leap.
Low centre of gravity, agility, clean hands.

North has long been searching for that mercurial small forward, Winder could be just that, but could also provide some class and dash out of the midfield or
play a role down back. Certainly first port of call would be up forward. A bit each way, but a massive grab at some genuine x factor.

Dom was kind enough to forewarn me of his pick so back to the drawing board. Actually did what was akin to a toss up and originally opted for x factor over exposed substance and a little less pace. Still very happy with a largely untapped medium forward/midfielder.

Pick 39- North Melbourne - Jack Ginnivan

Fail safe pick to my eyes. Goal sense, superb disposal, contested game, natural footballer. Not slow, but a little less dash, but possessed of elite agility and evasion. Takes the game on and wins his own ball. Again small forward come midfielder, a little taller at 183cm so a bit each way. Can fill the small forward role and possibly progress to the midfield with a couple of preseasons behind him. Very safe pick in my eyes. Rumoured to be on the radar of GWS with an early second rounder.

Blugazi back to the Crows

Last edited:
Pick 38 - North Melbourne - Isaiah Winder

X Factor. Small forward/midfielder/small defender.
Spectacular testing at WA Combine leading both 20m sprint and vertical leap.
Low centre of gravity, agility, clean hands.

North has long been searching for that mercurial small forward, Winder could be just that, but could also provide some class and dash out of the midfield or
play a role down back. Certainly first port of call would be up forward. A bit each way, but a massive grab at some genuine x factor.

Dom was kind enough to forewarn me of his pick so back to the drawing board. Actually did what was akin to a toss up and originally opted for x factor over exposed substance and a little less pace. Still very happy with a largely untapped medium forward/midfielder.

Pick 39- North Melbourne - Jack Ginnivan

Fail safe pick to my eyes. Goal sense, superb disposal, contested game, natural footballer. Not slow, but a little less dash, but possessed of elite agility and evasion. Takes the game on and wins his own ball. Again small forward come midfielder, a little taller at 183cm so a bit each way. Can fill the small forward role and possibly progress to the midfield with a couple of preseasons behind him. Very safe pick in my eyes. Rumoured to be on the radar of GWS with an

Blugazi back to the Crows

I like Ginnivan and was going to take him at 29, but given what was coming, chose elsewhere.

Maybe we should summarise each clubs respective picks and strategies at the end of this game.....probably not.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
OK TV time over and the bidding comes to an end, I briefly considered bidding on Connor Downie, and he may well go before this, but unlike the others I bid on, I’m not sure I want him - and if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

So with pick #38 the Blues select WA prospect Isaiah Winder

Why? Speed speed speed and this lad can take a grab and is a good kick also averaged 27.8 disposals in the WA Colts side. Recently at the combine tested elite for Speed, Agility and Vertical but also has the ability to go up the ground if he develops. The Smoking Gun put me onto him months ago before his elite combine testing, so well spotted after slapping me back to sanity for throwing out Pickett as a PSSD option.

The AFL Draft Central is also with him, their write up says... “One of, if not the most explosive, dynamic and game-changing small in this year’s AFL Draft Pool”...bit much I would have thought, that’s a lot of mayo for someone rated around 40 in the pool

Apparently needs to work on the tank and consistency but with more x-factor than an Altiyan Childs and Dami Im lovechild, I’m happy to take him

Too much TV time and now I’m cracking gags and head wobbling like Jeremias on his coffee date with Cal Toomey ...it’s time to move on.

Over to you Coona Blues

He’s got a better eye for this stuff than me, so looking forward to his picks.
He would have been next picked for Richmond , Im thinking he goes earlier in the real draft
Think he would be a perfect fit for the blues

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Well if you’d done the right thing and let me have Rioli mate,he would have been all yours ;)
Actually if you had stuck to the script and not bid on MRJ (like what will probably happen) we at Richmond would have had
1.Carroll
2.Winder
3.MRJ

that would have been a sensational result ;)

Edit: And you know when a team selects a Rioli - Wins premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back