2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

McDonald has kind of the same problem as Wright.
He's ok in a straight line but got no sideways motion which is critical these days.
In saying that, I'd definitely have him. Would be in our top few tall defenders.
Yeah i would just let him hang off a key forward, can't see many realistic big backs available unless Lachie Keefe or Alex Pearce want to move

Yeah i would just let him hang off a key forward, can't see many realistic big backs available unless Lachie Keefe or Alex Pearce want to move
If you look at Tiger midfield , forward and defense they all have weakness and young players in it , some rookie pick and mature age players Nathan Broad , i just don't see the need to bring average players in as good idea, Burgess ,king ,Lukosius,day can all be swing men . Need to be confident with who you pick ( Corbett) and (Burgess) no point keep getting GHS , Murdoch or injuries prone players in.

If you look at Tiger midfield , forward and defense they all have weakness and young players in it , some rookie pick and mature age players Nathan Broad , i just don't see the need to bring average players in as good idea, Burgess ,king ,Lukosius,day can all be swing men . Need to be confident with who you pick ( Corbett) and (Burgess) no point keep getting GHS , Murdoch or injuries prone players in.
Agree with that but also Richmond have a winning culture so it's alot easier to blood inexperience players. I can't see Burgess making and if you want King/Day to be swingman then do you want to target a key forward? Brown? Gunston? Hogan? .... trade up for McDonald?.... Max King?

Whats our team in 2023? That's what we need to be aiming for

Buderick (22) - Collins (29) - Ballard (24)
Bowes (25) - DGB (21) - Lukosius (23)
Ellis (30) - Rowell (22) - Weller (27)
Ainsworth (25) - CHF - Flanders (22)
FP - King (23) - Rankine (23)

Witts (30) - Anderson (22) - Miller (27)

Greenwood (31) - Davies (20) - Powell (24) - Interchange

The guys in with a shout of getting picked: Rosas, Sharp, Sexton, Corbett, Fiorini, Graham, Joyce, Brodie, Wright, Rd 1 pick 2021 draft, ?Rory Atkins, ? other trade ins.

Still a very young team

The guys in with a shout of getting picked: Rosas, Sharp, Sexton, Corbett, Fiorini, Graham, Joyce, Brodie, Wright, Rd 1 pick 2021 draft, ?Rory Atkins, ? other trade ins.

Still a very young team
Crazy how young players like Bowes and Ainsworth still are. Feels like they have been around forever already

Still a very young team

Some draft experts are saying DGB may not even be available at our pick 5

At 5 is where that tier of talent supposedly finishes so if picking best available (non Academy) we would just take whoever is left of the following:

Hollands (Tall Mid / Fwd coming off ACL)
Thilthorpe (Key Forward / Ruck)
DGB (Key Back / Interceptor)
McDonald (Key Forward)
Phillips (2020's Rowell/Neale)

If we end up having to trade for a senior player for the love of god don't be giving up this pick for anything less than A grade talent (i.e. not the Lachie Weller trade again)

Some draft experts are saying DGB may not even be available at our pick 5

At 5 is where that tier of talent supposedly finishes so if picking best available (non Academy) we would just take whoever is left of the following:

Hollands (Tall Mid / Fwd coming off ACL)
Thilthorpe (Key Forward / Ruck)
DGB (Key Back / Interceptor)
McDonald (Key Forward)
Phillips (2020's Rowell/Neale)

If we end up having to trade for a senior player for the love of god don't be giving up this pick for anything less than A grade talent (i.e. not the Lachie Weller trade again)
I reckon DGB slides down the draft order, top 5 is a very high pick for a ideally 3rd tall defender who is going to take a few years to get to playing weight and strength

I reckon DGB slides down the draft order, top 5 is a very high pick for a ideally 3rd tall defender who is going to take a few years to get to playing weight and strength

Would you trade down to try and get him later and get another pick?

With no footy in Victoria it's hard to see any of the Vic players shooting past him in the draft rankings with no exposed form.

Depend on your need really , assume he go pick 7 and you downgrade and pick the wrong players , people won't remember he is third tall but who is better and long term gain . I rather a third tall as AA then getting a Leslie, Wright .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With no footy in Victoria it's hard to see any of the Vic players shooting past him in the draft rankings with no exposed form.
U18 Vic Country could resume sooner than people think. Vic regional will be skipping some steps with their low cases, and that could ignite some sports.

Depend on your need really , assume he go pick 7 and you downgrade and pick the wrong players , people won't remember he is third tall but who is better and long term gain . I rather a third tall as AA then getting a Leslie, Wright .

Remember we could have had Clayton Oliver but thought we could get him cheaper, not great.

Depends on who we bring in as FA, trades etc.
If Broad comes in and we can somehow snag a KPD from somewhere then we hit the draft for a mid or trade the pick for a established mid. We need a big body with pace badly. Anderson will be there one day but he needs to be able to develop into that role not forced into it like we did with Swallow and ruin his body

It's very obvious we need a proper lockdown KPD to replace the injury prone Rory Thompson and free up Collins to play more of his natural intercepting role. DBG's size concerns me a little being 195cm and only 78kg. That's the kind of body that will take at least 3-4 years to develop to a point where he can actually compete with the brute size and strength of the KPFs in the AFL.

Perhaps we'd be better off bringing in a veteran free agent defender who can just help the younger guys out for a few years while they develop? Maybe someone like Ben Stratton? I know he's the Hawks captain but they should be keen to move on some of the older guys on their list. There's other free agency options like Harry Taylor or Justin Westhoff as well.

Ideally we'd land a KPD who is about to enter his prime but those players are usually wrapped up in long contracts and are very hard to secure.

It's very obvious we need a proper lockdown KPD to replace the injury prone Rory Thompson and free up Collins to play more of his natural intercepting role. DBG's size concerns me a little being 195cm and only 78kg. That's the kind of body that will take at least 3-4 years to develop to a point where he can actually compete with the brute size and strength of the KPFs in the AFL.

Perhaps we'd be better off bringing in a veteran free agent defender who can just help the younger guys out for a few years while they develop? Maybe someone like Ben Stratton? I know he's the Hawks captain but they should be keen to move on some of the older guys on their list. There's other free agency options like Harry Taylor or Justin Westhoff as well.

Ideally we'd land a KPD who is about to enter his prime but those players are usually wrapped up in long contracts and are very hard to secure.
What?
He should have retired last year. Doesn't even deserve a game in Hawthorns team.

Daniel Talia will be 29 next year. Don't think Adelaide would want to give up a senior leader but he'd be one I'd be happy for us to give up something for.

Defense
I am minority here but I am quite optimistic about our defense. We were very difficult to score against early in the season. It's only when the opposition gets on top us in the middle we struggle as any other defense would under double inside 50.

We are extremely young and inexperienced in defense. Even Collins has played just 38 games. Ballard was still growing, now 197cm. I am confident he can now get stronger and add another 3-4kg and play on the best KPFs if needed besides Collins. Graham also showed progress. Another pre-season in the gym, more games under belt and he will be not far off. He is a great spoiler.

Recruiting Broad would be perfect. We are missing someone like him. He could lock down Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene.

DGB - project player, will not help immediately. Jeffrey could play similar role if we get him. We got interceptors.

For me the replacement for Harbrow and Hanley could be Powell and Budarick. Both will only get better as they mature. Powell showed great promise down back in limited games. Reads game well, great kick, can start our drives too. 3-4kg extra weight next year will help him.

Bowes - I would move him more into midfield.
Luko - more time up the field, wing.

If we go after someone besides Broad I would go only for a ready mature key defender - possibly Talia? Or someone like Payne who is young but his body is ready - once Andrews is back he will be on the Lions bench again.

Midfield
Draft - use pick 5-6 to trade for A player if we can get one. If not draft midfielder with speed and kicking skills. Phillips does look good. Davies comes in too. It does look like we get Atkins on the outside.

Keep one of Brodie/Fiorini as a depth together with Miles. Fiorini for sure is not as bad as he showed this year. I guess Brodie is gone.

This was the first uninterrupted pre-season for Greenwood. Also first time full time inside. He will only get better.

Ready inside midfielders - Greenwood, Swallow, Miller, Bowes, Miles, Fiorini. Bowes did not spend too much time inside but I think he's ready.
Developing midfielders - Rowell, Anderson, Davies, Riordan, pick 5-6. I believe Flanders and Rankine belong there too. It will be interesting to see if we keep Riordan. I liked a lot what he showed in NEAFL before he did ACL. He got good body, some speed, broke the lines, is smart.
Outside - Weller, Ellis, Atkins, Sharp.
If we get a lot of injures we do have players who can run through midfield - Macpherson, Holman, Ainsworth, Lemmens.

Forward
I would still keep Wright as a ruck/forward depth when injuries strike unless he asks for a trade.
Hoping Rosas will be ready to show his talent.

Round 1 2021
Budarick Collins Powell
Broad Ballard Luko

Atkins Greenwood Ellis
Witts Swallow Miller

Corbett Day Ainsworth
Rankine King Sexton

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Weller

Depth
Joyce, Harbrow, Graham, Jeffrey, McLennan, Burgess, Thompson (out)
Smith, Miles, Fiorini, Sharp, Davies, Riordan, pick 5-6
Wright, Lemmens, Rosas, Macpherson, Holman, Farrar

That's 42. I expect only a small list cut this year. Also Suns will hopefully still have the expanded list compared to other teams.

Let's say we will have 46 on the list. Add Murtagh, Conroy, Lake (NT academy), Pescud (Suns academy).

Mostly we now need the team to play and mature together. Most key pieces are there. 1 extra A player to trade in and shuffle players around the edges. Smart list management is a key. With so much elite talent, in coming years we will not be able to keep them all similar to GWS. Hence it's probably logical for someone like Brodie/Fiorini/Wright to go this off-season especially should we be able to attract an elite player.

Last edited:
What?
He should have retired last year. Doesn't even deserve a game in Hawthorns team.

Daniel Talia will be 29 next year. Don't think Adelaide would want to give up a senior leader but he'd be one I'd be happy for us to give up something for.
Fair enough. I haven't really watched any Hawthorn games this year and I just sort of assumed he was playing decent footy as the captain. If he's cooked then we definitely don't want him.

Daniel Talia would be a great acquisition. He seems very loyal to the Crows though.

Fair enough. I haven't really watched any Hawthorn games this year and I just sort of assumed he was playing decent footy as the captain. If he's cooked then we definitely don't want him.

Daniel Talia would be a great acquisition. He seems very loyal to the Crows though.
Yeah, watching most Hawks games I can only confirm that Stratton was beyond horrible this year. If you would like some entertainment check out Hawks forum.

What?

Sounds like Jake Carlisle could be had for basically nothing. Not a massive fan but could potentially do a job for a couple of years.

Defense
I am minority here but I am quite optimistic about our defense. We were very difficult to score against early in the season. It's only when the opposition gets on top us in the middle we struggle as any other defense would under double inside 50.

We are extremely young and inexperienced in defense. Even Collins has played just 38 games. Ballard was still growing, now 197cm. I am confident he can now get stronger and add another 3-4kg and play on the best KPFs if needed besides Collins. Graham also showed progress. Another pre-season in the gym, more games under belt and he will be not far off. He is a great spoiler.

Recruiting Broad would be perfect. We are missing someone like him. He could lock down Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene.

DGB - project player, will not help immediately. Jeffrey could play similar role if we get him. We got interceptors.

For me the replacement for Harbrow and Hanley could be Powell and Budarick. Both will only get better as they mature. Powell showed great promise down back in limited games. Reads game well, great kick, can start our drives too. 3-4kg extra weight next year will help him.

Bowes - I would move him more into midfield.
Luko - more time up the field, wing.

If we go after someone besides Broad I would go only for a ready mature key defender - possibly Talia? Or someone like Payne who is young but his body is ready - once Andrews is back he will be on the Lions bench again.

Midfield
Draft - use pick 5-6 to trade for A player if we can get one. If not draft midfielder with speed and kicking skills. Phillips does look good. Davies comes in too. It does look like we get Atkins on the outside.

Keep one of Brodie/Fiorini as a depth together with Miles. Fiorini for sure is not as bad as he showed this year. I guess Brodie is gone.

This was the first uninterrupted pre-season for Greenwood. Also first time full time inside. He will only get better.

Ready inside midfielders - Greenwood, Swallow, Miller, Bowes, Miles, Fiorini. Bowes did not spend too much time inside but I think he's ready.
Developing midfielders - Rowell, Anderson, Davies, Riordan, pick 5-6. I believe Flanders and Rankine belong there too. It will be interesting to see if we keep Riordan. I liked a lot what he showed in NEAFL before he did ACL. He got good body, some speed, broke the lines, is smart.
Outside - Weller, Ellis, Atkins, Sharp.
If we get a lot of injures we do have players who can run through midfield - Macpherson, Holman, Ainsworth, Lemmens.

Forward
I would still keep Wright as a ruck/forward depth when injuries strike unless he asks for a trade.
Hoping Rosas will be ready to show his talent.

Round 1 2021
Budarick Collins Powell
Broad Ballard Luko

Atkins Greenwood Ellis
Witts Swallow Miller

Corbett Day Ainsworth
Rankine King Sexton

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Weller

Depth
Joyce, Harbrow, Graham, Jeffrey, McLennan, Burgess, Thompson (out)
Smith, Miles, Fiorini, Sharp, Davies, Riordan, pick 5-6
Wright, Lemmens, Rosas, Macpherson, Holman, Farrar

That's 42. I expect only a small list cut this year. Also Suns will hopefully still have the expanded list compared to other teams.

Let's say we will have 46 on the list. Add Murtagh, Conroy, Lake (NT academy), Pescud (Suns academy).

Mostly we now need the team to play and mature together. Most key pieces are there. 1 extra A player to trade in and shuffle players around the edges. Smart list management is a key. With so much elite talent, in coming years we will not be able to keep them all similar to GWS. Hence it's probably logical for someone like Brodie/Fiorini/Wright to go this off-season especially should we be able to attract an elite player.

I like - it's just balancing the books, you can't keep 2MP around on $600k for ruck/forward depth when that money could be used to keep a Rankine / Ben King / Lukosious in a few years by front loading the contract of a potential A grade mid traded in this season.

I like - it's just balancing the books, you can't keep 2MP around on $600k for ruck/forward depth when that money could be used to keep a Rankine / Ben King / Lukosious in a few years by front loading the contract of a potential A grade mid traded in this season.
Nobody really knows the salaries. That daily trade whispers crap from Morris and others is insane. Not sure why people believe it and run with it. What if 2MP is on $400K? Before season started Evans said publicly that we have a space in our cap and will be chasing A grade this off-season and following years.

Im under the belief we have a midfield capable of mixing it with the best.
If we keep Brodie and Fiorini or we don’t.
Another years development into Rowell Anderson Bowes Flanders sharpe and Powell etc
Not to mention the free hot in Davies and Jefferys in the draft.

I would like us to see us go after KP as they take time to develop. And we have youth on our side atm. And our concessions.

I’d be chasing the below.

Logan MacDonald.
Riley Thilthorpe
Denver Grainger Barras
Zach Reid
Or Nik Cox

Yes some are genuine key forwards,
But if they can match Ben Kings stats.
We are onto a winner.

We have the option to send King or Day back.

In 12months time we re- asses where we are at with midfield and KP stocks and team balance.

24662ADA-59AF-4E70-80FD-510BAE4AA9FB.jpeg 024E3DFE-CD04-4CD9-9544-82E68C8DFE3A.jpeg 24239BCD-388C-419F-B42B-67DC5FED4042.jpeg F0676523-DFE7-4E79-A1A5-B1154DF80862.jpeg C10A34E4-DF31-43FF-8FF1-633663F369CE.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back