2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Defense
I am minority here but I am quite optimistic about our defense. We were very difficult to score against early in the season. It's only when the opposition gets on top us in the middle we struggle as any other defense would under double inside 50.

We are extremely young and inexperienced in defense. Even Collins has played just 38 games. Ballard was still growing, now 197cm. I am confident he can now get stronger and add another 3-4kg and play on the best KPFs if needed besides Collins. Graham also showed progress. Another pre-season in the gym, more games under belt and he will be not far off. He is a great spoiler.

Recruiting Broad would be perfect. We are missing someone like him. He could lock down Charlie Cameron, Toby Greene.

DGB - project player, will not help immediately. Jeffrey could play similar role if we get him. We got interceptors.

For me the replacement for Harbrow and Hanley could be Powell and Budarick. Both will only get better as they mature. Powell showed great promise down back in limited games. Reads game well, great kick, can start our drives too. 3-4kg extra weight next year will help him.

Bowes - I would move him more into midfield.
Luko - more time up the field, wing.

If we go after someone besides Broad I would go only for a ready mature key defender - possibly Talia? Or someone like Payne who is young but his body is ready - once Andrews is back he will be on the Lions bench again.

Midfield
Draft - use pick 5-6 to trade for A player if we can get one. If not draft midfielder with speed and kicking skills. Phillips does look good. Davies comes in too. It does look like we get Atkins on the outside.

Keep one of Brodie/Fiorini as a depth together with Miles. Fiorini for sure is not as bad as he showed this year. I guess Brodie is gone.

This was the first uninterrupted pre-season for Greenwood. Also first time full time inside. He will only get better.

Ready inside midfielders - Greenwood, Swallow, Miller, Bowes, Miles, Fiorini. Bowes did not spend too much time inside but I think he's ready.
Developing midfielders - Rowell, Anderson, Davies, Riordan, pick 5-6. I believe Flanders and Rankine belong there too. It will be interesting to see if we keep Riordan. I liked a lot what he showed in NEAFL before he did ACL. He got good body, some speed, broke the lines, is smart.
Outside - Weller, Ellis, Atkins, Sharp.
If we get a lot of injures we do have players who can run through midfield - Macpherson, Holman, Ainsworth, Lemmens.

Forward
I would still keep Wright as a ruck/forward depth when injuries strike unless he asks for a trade.
Hoping Rosas will be ready to show his talent.

Round 1 2021
Budarick Collins Powell
Broad Ballard Luko

Atkins Greenwood Ellis
Witts Swallow Miller

Corbett Day Ainsworth
Rankine King Sexton

Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Weller

Depth
Joyce, Harbrow, Graham, Jeffrey, McLennan, Burgess, Thompson (out)
Smith, Miles, Fiorini, Sharp, Davies, Riordan, pick 5-6
Wright, Lemmens, Rosas, Macpherson, Holman, Farrar

That's 42. I expect only a small list cut this year. Also Suns will hopefully still have the expanded list compared to other teams.

Let's say we will have 46 on the list. Add Murtagh, Conroy, Lake (NT academy), Pescud (Suns academy).

Mostly we now need the team to play and mature together. Most key pieces are there. 1 extra A player to trade in and shuffle players around the edges. Smart list management is a key. With so much elite talent, in coming years we will not be able to keep them all similar to GWS. Hence it's probably logical for someone like Brodie/Fiorini/Wright to go this off-season especially should we be able to attract an elite player.
Agree with basically everything you said.
I wonder if Charlie is really a second tall. I do forget he is only just 21 though and should be able to put on another 6-8kg over the next 2 years. All his energy going into growing upwards rather than outwards still.

I also really liked what Riordan showed. Don't know if we will keep him given the ACL.
I also worry that we have no KPD depth.
Graham is the only key defender not in your team.
Burgess is a 3rd tall.

Im completely ok with delisting GHS, Corey Ellis, Shoenfeld, Dawson, Heron, Murdoch, Towey, Fletcher
Hombsch - I wonder whether he would be decent back up.

I don’t know if Adelaide , North Melbourne , hawthorn or Sydney will be after a Key forward?

They are desperate for midfield depth?
But we are plentiful for midfield depth just young
Yeah, who knows. Sometimes clubs take best available unless they go for needs. I'd love him at the pies. Massive pies fan and we need a key forward lol But clearly.. not gonna get anywhere near him.
Hard to know who will choose him. Crows will go for that SA product, I feel.

I feel Norf will choose him. What young key forwards do they have?

Next season do we stick with:

B. Harbrow, Collins, Buderick
HB. Bowes, Ballard, Lukosius

or do we improve our best 22:

HB. Broad, Mature CHB, Ballard

and move Bowes into the midfield and use Lukosius’s silky skills to roam the wing or half forward line...

What's towey done to you?
I wonder if Charlie is really a second tall. I do forget he is only just 21 though and should be able to put on another 6-8kg over the next 2 years. All his energy going into growing upwards rather than outwards still.

I also really liked what Riordan showed. Don't know if we will keep him given the ACL.
Burgess is a 3rd tall.

Im completely ok with delisting GHS, Corey Ellis, Shoenfeld, Dawson, Heron, Murdoch, Towey, Fletcher

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

and move Bowes into the midfield and use Lukosius’s silky skills to roam the wing or half forward line...

Improve.

harbrow needs to retire.

McLennan or Miller at Back Pocket.
if it’s Miller it opens up a spot in the midfield.

Harbrow is completely cooked. It would be malpractice to have him go around again next year.

I would go with your improve version - Broad to a back pocket (not a rebounding defender any way) for Harbs & rotate a combination of Luko / Bowes / Swallow / Weller as an attacking half back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Ballard as good interceptor he is not Nick Haynes , still lack polish with his decision making and agility is not as good as Ben King .

Get a senior version of
Thilthorpe (Key Forward / Ruck/back )

Harbrow is completely cooked. It would be malpractice to have him go around again next year.

I would go with your improve version - Broad to a back pocket (not a rebounding defender any way) for Harbs & rotate a combination of Luko / Bowes / Swallow / Weller as an attacking half back

Yeh agree with Harbs. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

it maybe a role Lemmens needs to revisit to get back in the best 22?

Possessions1210.3
Goals1.20.85
Score assists4.34.1
Marks53.2
contested marks1.11
Free kick for1.10.7
Tackles1.41.3
Pressure Acts (career numbers for column 1, couldn't get 2019 numbers)9.78.7
1%ers42.3
Hit out win %3633
Hit out to advantage %2826

These are game time adjusted numbers (x20% for this season)
One column is Peter Wright 2019
One column is Sam Day 2020

Can anyone tell me why one guy has played the last 20 games, and one guy hasn't played a single game over that time frame?

Last edited:
Not really up for trading Wright.
I still think he could / should be playing.

I was ok with Sam Day getting the first crack at it.
Surely after 15 games where Day hasn't exactly set the world on fire we should chuck Peter out there. He probably should have played the last 3 games this season.

Day in 2020
- 15 games, 11 goals, 9 goal assists, 8.6 possessions/g, disposal efficiency 69%, 9 free kicks for, 2.7 marks/g, 13 contested marks, 1.1 tackles/g, 3.4 score involvements/g
Career averages - pressure acts 10.2, out win 33% + to advantage 26.4%

Wright in 2019
- 17 games, 21 goals, 5 goal assists, 12 possessions/g, disposal efficiency 70%, 18 free kicks for, 5 marks/g, 18 contested marks, 1.5 tackles/g, 4.3 score involvements/g
Career averages - pressure acts 9.7, hitout win 36% + to advantage 28%

Peter has his deficiencies no doubt but he marks the ball more than Day, he win more free kicks than Day, he kicks more goals than Day. They have to be the KPI's for a KPF right?
Wright has better rucking stats
Their defensive numbers seem pretty similar

Why again does Day get to play the last 20 games and Wright none?
Pick 2 ?

Possessions1210.3
Goals1.20.85
Score assists4.34.1
Marks53.2
contested marks1.11
Free kick for1.10.7
Tackles1.41.3
Pressure Acts (career numbers for column 1, couldn't get 2019 numbers)9.78.7
1%ers42.3
Hit out win %3633
Hit out to advantage %2826

These are game time adjusted numbers (x20% for this season)
One column is Peter Wright 2019
One column is Sam Day 2020

Can anyone tell me why one guy has played the last 20 games, and one guy hasn't played a single game over that time frame?
Same as every sporting club anywhere ever
Coach has favourites and that's not a measurable metric that can come into performance reviews.
So back it in like self interest in a political race because it always gets up
One thing you can't argue with re Sam Day-he has impeccable timing
Just when you think his zero marks and 4 kicks over 5 games will surely bring a change he plays a decent match and everyone raves about him finally fulfilling his promise
Another 5 games ka-ching!

Burgess is a 3rd tall.

I forgot about Hombsh. Yes, I would keep him as depth. He played pretty well with Collins early 2019. Somehow I also left out Bowes :)

Your delisting is probably spot on. Towey and Ace could survive if the international B rookie or whatever it is called is kept. You would hope that AFL announces the list size and cap before the finals so clubs, players can get some clarity.

Same as every sporting club anywhere ever
Coach has favourites and that's not a measurable metric that can come into performance reviews.
So back it in like self interest in a political race because it always gets up
One thing you can't argue with re Sam Day-he has impeccable timing
Just when you think his zero marks and 4 kicks over 5 games will surely bring a change he plays a decent match and everyone raves about him finally fulfilling his promise
Another 5 games ka-ching!
He's definitely had good moments.
But he's goalless in 9/15 games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back