2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Harbrow playing on in 2021. Retiring end of next season.

No membership for me in 2021

I can only think it must have something to do with coaching and the soft cap limitations.

If it's based on his playing ability then I have grave concerns for the club's ability to evaluate talent. He is the worst player I saw playing AFL this year.

Considering the crap he’s dealt with over 10 years at this club I’m happy to give him another year.

could be vital to the development of budarick etc

I think he will only be retained for standards around the club.

And for Jeffery Rosas Rankine etc to have someone to lean on

Guys, let's not get so up in arms about Harbrow just yet. He's out of contract this year, so if there is still a rookie list, club can delist him and re-draft him as a rookie, and pay most of his salary outside the player salary cap.

Another thing to consider is club could be keeping him to (perhaps partially at least) use him as an assistant/development coach, to save some football department space.

Also, if he retires or gets a long-term injury early enough in the year, it opens up a spot in the mid-season draft (if there is one).

Not ideal, but not the worst thing in the world.

Keeping him around for guys like Rankine, Rosas, Farrar and the incoming Jeffrey is super important the more I think about it. He is highly respected within the community for the work he does with other indigenous children. Gives the young fellas a role model

I don't know why people upset about keeping harbrow, with marceski and Andrew swallow gone ,he could be doing one of their role. People should be more worried about Thompson salary and what role he is playing in the team with ACL instead of Harbrow.

* Harbrow - could be rookie list spot minimum salary
* Thompson - using rookie list spot but get paid main list salary ( max 4 more year )
That rookie list spot could be use to develop academy players or state league mature or AFL delisted players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why people upset about keeping harbrow, with marceski and Andrew swallow gone ,he could be doing one of their role. People should be more worried about Thompson salary and what role he is playing in the team with ACL instead of Harbrow.

* Thompson - using rookie list spot but get paid main list salary ( max 4 more year )
That rookie list spot could be use to develop academy players or state league mature or AFL delisted players.

Think the AFL has put you in a real bind re list positions, only Harbrow, Hombsch , Conroy and Murtagh are out of contract still.

Following may free up a few positions to get the players you need.

Also you need to have enough rookie spots for Davies and other pre selections, given Rosa and Budarick are already on there

Agree with Thompson - delist to rookie, put on LTI - creates a PSS position,

Holman - has to be elevated to main list (3 years on rookie) - delist Hombsch

Murdoch - demote to rookie - delist Murtagh

Conroy - demote to Rookie (category C as qld product)

Last edited:

I can only think it must have something to do with coaching and the soft cap limitations.

If it's based on his playing ability then I have grave concerns for the club's ability to evaluate talent. He is the worst player I saw playing AFL this year.
Definitely to get around the soft cap only.

I'm upset because of the message it sends.

We tolerate players that are cooked beyond all recognition for some unknown sense of loyalty.

If Harbrow thinks he has anything left to offer from a playing standpoint, he is delusional, he completely feel off the cliff in terms of AFL standard

- his work rate was poor
- he could not keep his feet
- could not compete 1 on 1
- could not hit a target
- he always panicked when he got the ball and then get out of trouble with his pace that has now his pace has deserted him, and now just panics and throws the ball away
- nearly all of his possessions were cheapies he called for from inexperienced players (ala Aaron Hall) before botching the possession.

He is just really bad.

The fact the club paid him very well throughout his tenure at the club should mean that they have the right to make a call on his career when it is clear he has nothing left to offer.

I feel for Rischatelli - he was playing 5 times better than Harbrow in his last year and he wasn't even being considered to play games.

Yeah, I think I echo the sentiments of some here saying Harbrow should not be on the list at all.

Absolute warrior for the team and all he has done for us he should have an award named after him, but he is now just taking up the spot of a young bloke who could have ended up being a star for the Suns.

I think keeping him on to mentor is all well and good but does he need to be on the playing list for that?

Well now it is confirmed that next year is his last, I hope it is a Rischitelli type situation where he is mostly a VFL player on the minimum wage on the rookie list and depth for the team, and mentoring behind the scenes, as his efforts this year were not up to an AFL standard.

Yeah, I think I echo the sentiments of some here saying Harbrow should not be on the list at all.

Absolute warrior for the team and all he has done for us he should have an award named after him, but he is now just taking up the spot of a young bloke who could have ended up being a star for the Suns.

I think keeping him on to mentor is all well and good but does he need to be on the playing list for that?

Well now it is confirmed that next year is his last, I hope it is a Rischitelli type situation where he is mostly a VFL player on the minimum wage on the rookie list and depth for the team, and mentoring behind the scenes, as his efforts this year were not up to an AFL standard.
Soft cap cut by a 1/3 and good people have had to be moved on.
We’ll still have more list spots than other clubs and putting him on a rookie list at $150K or so saves soft cap space.
He can instruct on ground in the VFL and more importantly help with mentoring ‘ welfare off ground with indigenous boys.
We still have significant cap space for next year and I think this is a good move.
I doubt he’ll play any AFL.

We don’t need fair weather Members!

If you're a suns supporter and a fair weather member, you must be experiencing all types of mental anguish
Different peoples think differently , you can't actually use must be experiencing , because you are unique and other as well . Maybe using assumption , and what kind of assumption . Mental anguish also have different spectrum .

Different peoples think differently , you can't actually use must be experiencing , because you are unique and other as well . Maybe using assumption , and what kind of assumption . Mental anguish also have different spectrum .
It was a joke peel

It was a joke peel
A joke is also a kind of assumption , some people can take a joke seriously , some people can't , just incase people start to call name again , why not just stated it in the first place. A joke can be use as offensive tool or hidden agenda . Joker like to hide behind the mask in the movie not knowing he got a mental health issues.

Suns football manager Jon Haines said the 32-year-old, who has played 258 AFL games, would stave off retirement and remain on the list in 2021.

“We have had ongoing discussions with Harbs over the last few months,” Haines said.

“He is keen to go on and we are keen to support that as well.

“We know what he offers on field but the impact he has off the field, around the footy club, his connection to culture, his mentoring of the younger players is first class and we love him and we want to support that.

“We will work through what the detail looks like but the intent of all parties is to have another year.”

The ability of Harbrow to play another season comes on the back of an incredible resurgence for the defender.

He conceded to struggling with form throughout stages of 2020 but his experience is key in a young Gold Coast team.

“The body is feeling really good,” Harbrow told News Corp earlier this season.

“We are managing (the groins) and it’s an every day thing. It’s about making sure through the week I’m doing the right strength work and I’m not overloading it.

“I have always felt like I have had to prove myself. There is no getting comfortable. I know I have to work for a contract and that is everyone who comes out of contract, that is the boat we are in. It’s even more motivation to challenge myself."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back