Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
aaaa

Yea I heard that all last year about Rowell and Aderson, not playing against men,
A lot of SA kid play SANFL and WAFL and Don't make it in the AFL, And never underestimate the TAC cup, one of the best comps if not the best outside the AFL for talent.
You don’t think for comps those two are getting an accurate hit out and they should be playing against players their own age in TAC? Seriously have a think about it.

Why he no Rowell, Yea I believe he Good but without playing much I don't believe he go before pick 5
In a COVID free year, I would have rated him Higher, But based on 2029 I rate Hollands way Higher. Plus Hollands is the type of Player the Crows need.
If we're talking working inside the contest Phillips' game is not that far off Rowell at all, just hasn't developed his outside game to Rowell's levels. And you seem to be forgetting (conveniently) Phillips would likely have dominated the NAB League/APS football similar to Rowell last year and that's without even factoring in the Nationals.

check the actual players that played on mcdonald in those 7 wafl games. yes 7 games cos thats all we are talking about. 3-4 of the games he played on other 18-20yos who were also in league. 1 game he did do really well on a big body experienced defender. but the game he was against DGBarraa he got pantsed. im far from convinced. its not like this was a 22 game season in wafl league team and hes the main man.

TT slightly different from what i know had to cover ruck a fair bit cos the westies ruck went down with injury. didnt get chance to kick many goals when rucking before he then got injured.

theres no right answer normally we put up with the slops. as we had such a sh*t year we all want to make sure they fet it right
The predominantly forward/mid you are spruiking would be getting monstered with little numbers in those league.
Please try and balance your argument as it’s having little effect with my opinion of the number one pick.

JUH kicking is a worry I wouldnt even bid with 1 or 2 just in case
Reid not for me either - the others yes would have been interesting to see

my fear with phillips is he admits he developed young, and could throw his weight around and rely on that. weve seen this before once they hit AFL level and its very different. i also dont think he is our needs. bruhn might be if still there with 8 or whatever it turns out to be 12-14 most likely after FA and NGA
Don't believe we will bid but I cannot see him getting past North or Sydney without a bid.
I am Also wondering how much that 10,000 bonus for the 1st pick will play out.
This year is a different year we have not seen the Kids from the TAC comp, and there no late bolters ar kid improving there a lot, I can see teams picking for need more in the top ten because there is no true top ten, without a TAC comp.

If we're talking working inside the contest Phillips' game is not that far off Rowell at all, just hasn't developed his outside game to Rowell's levels. And you seem to be forgetting (conveniently) Phillips would likely have dominated the NAB League/APS football similar to Rowell last year and that's without even factoring in the Nationals.
Philip is one of those players that needed 2020 Tac Cup to prove his value as a number 1 pick, but Base on 2019 I will go with Hollands as number 1.

Philip is one of those players that needed 2020 Tac Cup to prove his value as a number 1 pick, but Base on 2019 I will go with Hollands as number 1.
What a load of bullshit, I can easily counter that argument with Elijah Hollands needed the 2020 NAB League to prove he was truly a legitimate midfield prospect beyond any doubt, not just a super clever medium forward.

The predominantly forward/mid you are spruiking would be getting monstered with little numbers in those league.
Please try and balance your argument as it’s having little effect with my opinion of the number one pick.

Hard disagree. How vic-centric the rising star award has been (namely in how many recruits from Victoria have won/placed compared to recruits in the WA/SA pathways, and against their contribution to the draft pool) indicates that there is no advantage for a player to come through the SANFL/WAFL system and play against grown men in their draft year when compared to the NAB league system.

The only reason McDonald or Thilthorpe would have any advantage is they've played football this season, whereas Victorian recruits have not.

you pick who you want

Hard disagree. How vic-centric the rising star award has been (namely in how many recruits from Victoria have won/placed compared to recruits in the WA/SA pathways, and against their contribution to the draft pool) indicates that there is no advantage for a player to come through the SANFL/WAFL system and play against grown men in their draft year when compared to the NAB league system.

The only reason McDonald or Thilthorpe would have any advantage is they've played football this season, whereas Victorian recruits have not.
The Nationals have always been the best indicator of where the pecking order sits, so you're mostly right on that.

What a load of bullshit, I can easily counter that argument with Elijah Hollands needed the 2020 NAB League to prove he was truly a legitimate midfield prospect beyond any doubt, not just a super clever medium forward.
Not Bull but wait and see guess one off us will be proven wrong, s
Just a question if It is bullshit can I ask this question Why are all the Phantom Drafts rating Hollands Higher than Philips,
My point is, if we had seen a TAC comp this year then Phillips would have elevated himself higher up the order and the Phantom Draft would have reflected that.
And remember this conversation stated out about Hollands over McDonald as the Crows 1st Pick,

Hard disagree.
expect nothing less.:D

How vic-centric the rising star award has been (namely in how many recruits from Victoria have won/placed compared to recruits in the WA/SA pathways, and against their contribution to the draft pool) indicates that there is no advantage for a player to come through the SANFL/WAFL system and play against grown men in their draft year when compared to the NAB league system.
It does indicate. There hasn’t been many recently. Mainly drafted through u/18. Someone with numbers would set that straight. Hold my scotch.
Victorian recruits would still have well designed programs this year. Even a year off hard contact benefits for the reset and there’s still loads factoring in mock drafts. Not a hindrance at all.

Not Bull but wait and see guess one off us will be proven wrong, s
Just a question if It is bullshit can I ask this question Why are all the Phantom Drafts rating Hollands Higher than Philips,
My point is, if we had seen a TAC comp this year then Phillips would have elevated himself higher up the order and the Phantom Draft would have reflected that.
And remember this conversation stated out about Hollands over McDonald as the Crows 1st Pick,
I've said right from last year Elijah Hollands was my pick as the No.1 player for 2020 draft (check my posting history if you don't believe me) then he did his ACL which makes anyone with sound judgement think twice about that and certainly brings McDonald, Thilthorpe and several others closer in my thinking on that score.

The point is at this time Hollands is more a proven Forward/Midfielder than a Midfielder/Forward and sure the indications were there he'd furnish into an excellent midfielder/forward but then the ACL and Covid intervened.

I'd still take Hollands with our first but I'd be far more confident doing that if we attain pick 2 as well if Brad leaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Nationals have always been the best indicator of where the pecking order sits, so you're mostly right on that.
How many don’t play nationals and still get drafted and have great careers. Pecking order, sure, results, there’s just as many that don’t. Another great potential numbers study.

Thilthorpe was projected to go top 5 in this year's draft after McDonald but given his recent injuries he could possibly slide to pick 8 but North, Hawks and Fremantle need a key forward and one of them will pick McDonald.
McDonald will go at either 1 or 2. I can guarantee us or North will take him. North must take the best KPF that is available after telling Brown to piss off.
Now if we get 1 and 2 it's a no brainer that we take Hollands and McDonald but if it's just pick 1 I feel it will come down to whether there is a player that the club rates that is fairly close to Hollands that will be available at pick 8(although there are no guarantees they will be). If there is and if they are worried about Hollands knee I think they may go McDonald at 1. Still feel we are a good chance to get pick 2.

Last edited:
How many don’t play nationals and still get drafted and have great careers. Pecking order, sure, results, there’s just as many that don’t. Another great potential numbers study.
Just as many that don't?

Surely you're not serious barring injury intervening?

I've said right from last year Elijah Hollands was my pick as the No.1 player for 2020 draft (check my posting history if you don't believe me) then he did his ACL which makes anyone with sound judgement think twice about that and certainly brings McDonald, Thilthorpe and several others closer in my thinking on that score.

The point is at this time Hollands is more a proven Forward/Midfielder than a Midfielder/Forward and sure the indications were there he'd furnish into an excellent midfielder/forward but then the ACL and Covid intervened.

I'd still take Hollands with our first but I'd be far more confident doing that if we attain pick 2 as well if Brad leaves.
I not knocking you And I know you wanted Hollands,
I Just strongly believe that because there was no TAC cup or nationals a lot of Vic Kids had not had a chance on improving the positions, and I believe the Crows need a midfielder, My Bias at this time is for Bigger Bodies mids, but that my Bias.

However, with Draft Combine Coming up late OCT,
Question is Vic Combining the Country and Metro players in the combine or holds a separate one, I am Of the understanding each state will hold there own
Also, see Hollands Name on the list, Have you heard if he going to be a Participant or there for the interviews.

Just as many that don't?

Surely you're not serious barring injury intervening?
Yeah obviously there’s fab players that miss through injury.
But how many of the 22 from each state at nationals get drafted every year? Not all of them. There are outliers and mature agers that end up on lists as well. There’s a lot of players that keep on persevering after U/18 level and get on lists.
Yes Bicks I’m overreaching by saying just as many, but it’s not just all u/18 that the pin is pulled.
If you equaled it out and asked every player on an AFL list today it won’t be all national state carnival.
Other pathways have got them there as well. That’s just a bit I’d point out.

Yeah obviously there’s fab players that miss through injury.
But how many of the 22 from each state at nationals get drafted every year? Not all of them. There are outliers and mature agers that end up on lists as well. There’s a lot of players that keep on persevering after U/18 level and get on lists.
Yes Bicks I’m overreaching by saying just as many, but it’s not just all u/18 that the pin is pulled.
If you equaled it out and asked every player on an AFL list today it won’t be all national state carnival.
Other pathways have got them there as well. That’s just a bit I’d point out.
Mate you're just plain wrong, take 2019 Sam Philp pick 20 and then all the way to pick 41 Francis Evans...even most of the late picks were in the Nationals squads other than the mature agers taken. Also if not invited to the National Combine there's very little chance you get drafted.

Mate you're just plain wrong, take 2019 Sam Philp pick 20 and then all the way to pick 41 Francis Evans...even most of the late picks were in the Nationals squads other than the mature agers taken. Also if not invited to the National Combine there's very little chance you get drafted.

So, there is no other pathways other than national u/18?

Provide we don't "spread" the salary cap anymore, this doesn't work anymore with FA introduced with even Geelong scaping this with Dangerfield earning over $1M now.
Pretty much every club runs with a studs and duds strategy for their salary cap.

So, there is no other pathways other than national u/18?
Of course there is but if you don't make the National State squads numbers dictate that you're massively up against it be that right or wrong them's the facts.
Same goes for the National Combine which is also a good indicator of your chances of getting drafted.

Of course there is but if you don't make the National State squads numbers dictate that you're massively up against it be that right or wrong them's the facts.
Same goes for the National Combine which is also a good indicator of your chances of getting drafted.
Thanks for your input here.
I had an impression that the entire 2020 AFL playing ranks were more diverse pathway wise.

It's getting healthier but will be really healthy in 12 months. We have Jenkins(still paying half his wage 2021), Gibbs(payout counted in 2021 cap), Walker, Lynch(free agent 2021), Smith(free agent 2021), Talia(free agent 2021), Seedsman, Laird(free agent 2021), MCrouch(free agent 2021) out of contract end of next year. Out of that list Laird, MCrouch, Smith, Talia are likely the only ones that will be recontracted but the club may also allow Smith and Talia to leave as free agents. Obviously we need to sign up Doedee, McAdam, O'Brien, Gollant, Worrell, Schoenberg, Keays, McPherson, Fogarty?(if he improves next year), McAsey?.
Anyone actually know what Jenkins is on at Geelong?..

Rumours are he was willing to accept a very small contract there (around $200k)

if we are only paying half that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back