Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't buy that this is just to straighten him out. It's way too much dirty laundry getting aired way too publicly for it to just be that, like what about the meeting last night? Why would that happen if everything is on the mend?

Why put a player at the "shop front" who has a 7 year deal just to warn them. That can only end badly. Ditto an emergency board meeting to talk to Oliver.

Screams to me that Melbourne got blind-sighted about Oliver being potentially woo'ed away from them and are panicking.

Why put a player at the "shop front" who has a 7 year deal just to warn them. That can only end badly. Ditto an emergency board meeting to talk to Oliver.

Screams to me that Melbourne got blind-sighted about Oliver being potentially woo'ed away from them and are panicking.
Airing dirty laundry isnt going to help

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you think it is still live ?

I honestly don't know, but I expect the worst being a Crows fan.

Airing dirty laundry isnt going to help

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not at all - especially if you're only hopeful he stays.

How I hope the story ends up being that it was that being leaked that pushed Oliver over the edge. Even if it doesn't result in Adelaide getting him.

Until Melbourne say ‘he is a contracted player and will remain at the Demons’ I don’t think it’s done. They could put it to bed with one sentence. But they haven’t.

Saying things like ‘open to him staying’ and talking about areas he needs to improve… sounds like they are posturing they are reluctantly going to let him go vs pushing him out so they don’t lose all power at the trade table.

So you think it is still live ?

I honestly don't know, but I expect the worst being a Crows fan.

I think it's live until Oliver says one way or the other and I think Melbourne are laying the ground work for a departure - whether intentional or not.

What's most curious for me is that we still haven't heard from the MFC, or Clayton Oliver, or his management. The only 3 parties who's opinion actually count for something.

Everything we know on both sides of the rumour is still based 100% on speculation and hearsay from trade radio Journo's. It could flip again with the click of an iPhone.

In fact I'd be surprised if there wasn't several more turns on this road

Well they both find it hard to stay involved in an entire game and both have shown a tendency to avoid a solid contest - I’m a fan of both and hope they are just young and will both be long termers but the concern is there.

Does Thilthorpe struggle with that? His numbers seem to be good when we give him more than 75% game time. Heck, they even look good factoring in when he plays 65% considering the role he's in is not one where he is going to be involved the whole game.

The biggest thing hindering Thilthorpes career is getting off the bench. He'll break out in a big way the moment we give him more responsibility and a more active role in the side.

Sorry I was being “clever” as in they have similar traits - and don’t all 30 odd players train together ?

Not in this part of the off-season.

It's probably bodes well for Cook though - seeing Thilthorpe is a model pro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does he have to say? It’s a nothing story all along, people just went stupid

What does the person who is potentially seeking a trade have to say about a trade that's now a major part of the off-season news cycle?

If it was a nothing story - it takes one tweet to kill it.

Everything that has been leaked today has been about Melbourne PR spin, and at the expense of Oliver’s professionalism at that. It has been full of them being “open to him staying“ and ultimatums given to him, and “he wants to stay”.
At the end of the day they have a 7 year contract so no one can woo him away unless they actually want him traded, so you have to wonder if the club was trying to give him a shock and it blew up in their face when he leaked that he was willing to move.

btw no one says they are “open” to move to another state unless they have given it serious thought, so why would Melbourne giving him an ultimatum change his mind?

This looks like either a botched attempt to pressure Oliver into changing his habits that turned into a PR disaster very quickly or we are seeing the club trying to put a positive spin on the loss of a star player that is about to happen. Will be fascinating to watch.

What does the person who is potentially seeking a trade have to say about a trade that's now a major part of the off-season news cycle?

If it was a nothing story - it takes one tweet to kill it.
Correct .....kill the story ASAP .....doesn't stop backroom discussions from continuing

All that's happening is, Oliver appears to being spoken down to by Melb, like a schoolboy .....that's just the appearance from an outsider

It benefits the media significantly to keep this story going until the last day of the trade period

Sure, but Oliver isn't the media. Nor are the Melbourne Demons.

Those are the two parties it doesn't benefit to have this story keep going.

Until Melbourne say ‘he is a contracted player and will remain at the Demons’ I don’t think it’s done. They could put it to bed with one sentence. But they haven’t.

Saying things like ‘open to him staying’ and talking about areas he needs to improve… sounds like they are posturing they are reluctantly going to let him go vs pushing him out so they don’t lose all power at the trade table.
Also running to the media and saying he has mental health issues is really not cool, you confide in the club so you can get help not so they use it as leverage to get you to stay at or leave the club.

Something smells at Melbourne as whole an two straight sets exit suggests it's more than just Oliver's supposed unprofessional standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back