Who was more impressive last year - Walker or Curnow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Moe Ron

Debutant
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Olympiacos Empoli
I'm interested in what people will say on this. Last year Charlie Curnow and Taylor Walker battled it out for the Coleman. Curnow scored a total of 78 goals and pipped Walker at the post, who scored a total of 76 goals.

Curnow won the Coleman so that's clear cut. And I actually rate Curnow, he's a dynamic forward, can change games and is exciting to watch, so this is not a dig at him.

My questions is, who was more impressive out of Walker and Curnow?

The reason I ask this question is because of the distribution of goals to other players in each team is different. If you look at the top 10 goal kickers in each team for 2023, the distribution of goals is more evenly spread within the Crows compared to Carlton. Looking at both totals and averages...and averages may be a better stat as a lot of Carlton players played less games):

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 12.58.59 pm.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 12.59.39 pm.png

I'd say both Walker and Curnow would get the best defenders on them most of the time. I'm guessing that the Carlton midfield group is better than ours (I haven't checked the stats for 2023 but just going off of the names) so you'd imagine their inside 50's may be better? (again haven't checked total inside 50's and conversion to goals etc).

So is it more impressive that Walker could kick approximately the same amount of goals with more goal kickers around him, or is Curnow more impressive as a bigger outlier amongst the group of goal scorers at Carlton?

*I think I just need a thread to distract me from our start to the season :sweatsmile:

Easy, Walker. Curnow had a great season, but he also got an armchair ride from the umpires, which Walker did not. It is not even close. I know that the stats alone don't mean everything, I watched most of Carlton's games and to my eye Curnow got a lot of soft ones.

Walker Home and Away 2023:
18 FF
27 FA

Curnow Home and Away 2023:
38 FF
20 FA

I'd like to see goal assist and score involvement stats. I expect Walker might win that one.
Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 11.52.22 am.png

Like it's even on the score assists, but Walker a little ahead in the score involvements (average not total because Walker played less games).

I'm interested in what people will say on this. Last year Charlie Curnow and Taylor Walker battled it out for the Coleman. Curnow scored a total of 78 goals and pipped Walker at the post, who scored a total of 76 goals.

Curnow won the Coleman so that's clear cut. And I actually rate Curnow, he's a dynamic forward, can change games and is exciting to watch, so this is not a dig at him.

My questions is, who was more impressive out of Walker and Curnow?

The reason I ask this question is because of the distribution of goals to other players in each team is different. If you look at the top 10 goal kickers in each team for 2023, the distribution of goals is more evenly spread within the Crows compared to Carlton. Looking at both totals and averages...and averages may be a better stat as a lot of Carlton players played less games):

View attachment 1939820

View attachment 1939821

I'd say both Walker and Curnow would get the best defenders on them most of the time. I'm guessing that the Carlton midfield group is better than ours (I haven't checked the stats for 2023 but just going off of the names) so you'd imagine their inside 50's may be better? (again haven't checked total inside 50's and conversion to goals etc).

So is it more impressive that Walker could kick approximately the same amount of goals with more goal kickers around him, or is Curnow more impressive as a bigger outlier amongst the group of goal scorers at Carlton?

*I think I just need a thread to distract me from our start to the season :sweatsmile:
I made a thread on the main board end of last year:

Got a lot of hate by Carlton fans and Tex-haters for bringing up this similar discussion. 🤣
Embarrassing how some Crows fans on that thread thought the discussion was cringe, when other supporters were chiming in and thinking Tex deserved it more as he had roughly half the amount of free kicks than Curnow.

Tex had a couple years there (when they were hot on "goal assists" or whatever the metric was) where the sum of goals + goal assists was a lot higher than the next person. Those were years he was quite high up in the coleman too.

No AA those years though! I am salty about it. Ra ra VFL.

I don't think that's correct. The years where he was among the 3-4 AA key forwards he was beaten in the combined stat by the AA winners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back