Roast 25 Years without an AFL Premiership

The 25 Biggest Club Changing Moments of the last 25 Years

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We were bookies favourite for the flag in 2003, before injuries destroyed the season

It’s one of the things that gets lost in the Craig hype, that we were a loaded team he took over

The biggest material change in our late 2003 / 2004 to 2005 turn around was Simon Goodwin's return to fitness in his prime. People tend to forget how good he was in that period.

We were bookies favourite for the flag in 2003, before injuries destroyed the season

It’s one of the things that gets lost in the Craig hype, that we were a loaded team he took over

I think we were pretty good at the pointy end, but I think the bottom six were very questionable, and he really did nothing to address that at all.

Between the club’s ability to shoot itself in the foot, the AFL’s propensity to penalise us for anything they possibly can, and the inbuilt biases in the league it’s no wonder it’s been 25 years.

I’m in my mid 30s and consider there to be a very strong chance I’ll never see another Crows flag in my lifetime. Even if we are the best team all year, odds are we’ll still have to go and beat a Victorian team away from home in the GF which will always be a less than 50/50 shot regardless of how good we are.

2005 was the worst, we were the best team in the back half of the season with 10 wins in a row.

BUT the AFL being the AFL we have to travel to Perth continually on the last round of the season and did so this year.
We beat West Coast away in the final round to cement us not facing our bunny Sydney the next week.

That 2 year period was a cruel game of rock paper scissors, where we couldnt beat west coast, sydney couldnt beat us but sydney could beat west coast.

2012 was a false dawn.
2017 was our crescendo as a team before a rebuild was needed.

We're never going to get a crop of youngsters that talented again though.

We really need SA to start churning out some decent young players again, instead of the slop we've produced in the last couple of years (apologies to Max).
2015. Milera, Burton, Redman, Williams, Dawson
2016. Hayward, Cox, Rioli, Graham
2017. Fogarty, Bailey, Petty, Ballard
2018. Rankine, Rozee, Lukosius, Sparrow, Wilkie, Chandler
2019. Pickett, Day, Close, Frederick
2020. Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Powell, Jones, Cook, McCreery
2021. JHF, Wanganeen-Milera, Aleer,
2022. Michalanney, Phillipou, Barnett
2023. Delean, McCabe
2024. Draper, Welsh, Hargrave, Camporeale
2025. Sharp

Last edited:

2017. Fogarty, Bailey, Petty, Ballard
2018. Rankine, Rozee, Lukosius, Sparrow, Wilkie, Chandler
2019. Pickett, Day, Close, Frederick
2020. Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Powell, Jones, Cook, McCreery
2021. JHF, Wanganeen-Milera, Aleer,
2022. Michalanney, Phillipou, Barnett
2023. Delean, McCabe
2024. Draper, Welsh, Hargrave, Camporeale
2025. Sharp

How many of those were taken with first round picks?

A lot of them are speculative later picks

16. 6 seasons. That's decent.
2024 looks like SA will have 4 or 5 with 3 rated top 10 currently.

It's okay.

I remember looking a while back and finding out that you'd be generally better off passing on a top rated SA player and taking the next best Victorian midfielder or key forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's okay.

I remember looking a while back and finding out that you'd be generally better off passing on a top rated SA player and taking the next best Victorian midfielder or key forward
I don't think that's fair over the past 5 years.
In a theoretical 2027 state of origin side it would look bloody impressive IMO.
2007 to 2016 was bad.

FB. Michalanney, Petty, Cox
HB. Redman, Ballard, Milera
C. Dawson, JHF, Wanganeen-Milera
R. Thilthorpe, Day, Rozee
HF. Bailey, Lukosius, Pedlar
FF. Rankine, Fogarty, Pickett
B. Phillipou, Hargrave, Draper, Sharp
S. Hayward

Last edited:
I don't think that's fair over the past 5 years.
In a theoretical 2027 state of origin side it would look bloody impressive IMO.
2007 to 2016 was bad.

FB. Michalanney, Petty, Cox
HB. Redman, Ballard, Milera
C. Dawson, JHF, Wanganeen-Milera
R. Thilthorpe, Day, Rozee
HF. Bailey, Lukosius, Pedlar
FF. Rankine, Fogarty, Pickett
B. Phillipou, Hargrave, Draper, Sharp
S. Hayward
Which Draper?

Believe it or not he was actually lighter when he was playing for Adelaide, but most of that weight probably came off the lower half, he did look a bit more top heavy.
It’s the hoops vs vertical stripes

Curb Your Enthusiasm Reaction GIF

i'm not sure if it counts as a mistake but one of the sins i thought was john reid not celebrating the club and the state.

he would always blame the state because he preferred not to pay market wages so we didn't attract anyone.

even since port has got their act together and started attracting players it became harder to spin that line but you still hear people today say no one wants to come to Adelaide

Carey‘s first pre-season with the club was horribly botched (another feather in the AFC’s cap).

He said that the club was obsessed with running and had him do more running than he’d ever done his whole career, and he blew out his back and hamstrings, which plagued him for most of that year.

He still played pretty well despite that, the skills and the nous were still there… he just wasn’t robust anymore, the body wouldn’t allow it.
there used to be an interview on YouTube where he was diplomatic saying maybe age got him but said essentially that he/they over did the running and got a back injury which he had never had before.

there used to be an interview on YouTube where he was diplomatic saying maybe age got him but said essentially that he/they over did the running and got a back injury which he had never had before.

That was the ironic thing, when the club recruited him all the talk was why would you recruit this 31yo with dodgy shoulders… but his shoulders were fine by that point in his career, most of the injuries he had at the Crows were brand new injuries as a result of the club’s mismanagement.

I don’t know if Neil Craig had anything to do with it, but I’m choosing to imagine that he did.

Back