Roast 25 Years without an AFL Premiership

The 25 Biggest Club Changing Moments of the last 25 Years

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Like, he also slid into a ******* square post.
Yep, and was absolutely killing it in that game

Also had some weird neck injury the year after

We actually managed Andrew McLeod's knee bone-on-bone stuff for years, even though there were initial thoughts that it could end his career prematurely. 300+ gilt-edged games later...

I don't think we were burning out older guys with ridiculous running requirements (at that stage anyway)

Yep, and was absolutely killing it in that game

Also had some weird neck injury the year after

We actually managed Andrew McLeod's knee bone-on-bone stuff for years, even though there were initial thoughts that it could end his career prematurely. 300+ gilt-edged games later...

I don't think we were burning out older guys with ridiculous running requirements (at that stage anyway)

McLeod basically didn't run at all at the end of his career, did most of his training on the bike I think.

Doesn't mean that was universalised.

The following clubs have won not just one but multiple premierships since our last:

Brisbane (4)
Sydney (2)
West Coast (2)
Geelong (4)
Hawthorn (4)
Collingwood (2)
Richmond (3)

That's seven clubs. Only these clubs' supporters have been waiting longer than us for a premiership:

Carlton
Fremantle
St Kilda

Not exactly illustrious company. We've blown so many chances, most notably 2017. At least one of those five prelim seasons could easily have been a flag season.

The following clubs have won not just one but multiple premierships since our last:

Brisbane (4)
Sydney (2)
West Coast (2)
Geelong (4)
Hawthorn (4)
Collingwood (2)
Richmond (3)

That's seven clubs. Only these clubs' supporters have been waiting longer than us for a premiership:

Carlton
Fremantle
St Kilda

Not exactly illustrious company. We've blown so many chances, most notably 2017. At least one of those five prelim seasons could easily have been a flag season.
We've also been waiting basically as long as notoriously well run clubs North Melbourne and Essendon

Brisbane (4)
Sydney (2)
West Coast (2)
Geelong (4)
Hawthorn (4)
Collingwood (2)
Richmond (3)

Carlton
Fremantle
St Kilda

Brisbane only three isn’t it

Walshy was a unique cat. He had a very different way of looking at things. Would his style have yielded long term results? Or would his intensity have burned himself or the players out? Our list back then was only ripe for a few years, thanks to our big gap in talent from the Tippett sanctions. Would we have had that same rise before ultimately falling apart? Hard to imagine a bigger "what if".
That stupid camp wouldn't have happened on Phil's watch

Brisbane (4)
Sydney (2)
West Coast (2)
Geelong (4)
Hawthorn (4)
Collingwood (2)
Richmond (3)

Carlton
Fremantle
St Kilda

For some perspective - Sydney have won 2 flags in 90 years. Collingwood 3 premierships in 65 years. Richmond waited 37 years between flags. Geelong waited 45 years between premierships. Melbourne were 57 years. Dog similar. Dont get me wrong, we have let premierships slip (05, 06, 17), but we are hardly the lone rangers here.

For some perspective - Sydney have won 2 flags in 90 years. Collingwood 3 premierships in 65 years. Richmond waited 37 years between flags. Geelong waited 45 years between premierships. Melbourne were 57 years. Dog similar. Dont get me wrong, we have let premierships slip (05, 06, 17), but we are hardly the lone rangers here.
Those facts make me feel slightly better, but it's frustrating to see almost every drought broken except ours.

Anything before 1990 is just Victorian nonsense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those facts make me feel slightly better, but it's frustrating to see almost every drought broken except ours.
I agree. Watching games like today kill me, especially since I feel at our best we arent far off. Guess only point I was making was that for all the deserved negative talk on here..and trust me we have kicked own goal after own goal..premierships are extremely hard to win..even for the “benchmark” clubs…

Another year, another team that isn’t the Crows wins the flag.

Hard not to feel flat, proper premiership drought territory now at 25 years.

Adelaide Crows players who have won a Premiership in the last 25 years:

Wayne Carey - 1999
Scott Welsh - 1999
Sean Wellman - 2000
Tyson Stenglein - 2006
James Podsiadly - 2011
Martin Mattner - 2012
Jack Gunston - 2013, 2014, 2015
Jake Lever - 2021
Patrick Dangerfield - 2022
Tyson Stengle - 2022
Billy Frampton - 2023

If only 2005, 2006, 2012, 2016 or 2017 went right, just one game right. We could have been a powerhouse of a team because winning one gives you a good reputation.

We'll probably never be at the level of a Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast, Geelong or Sydney. Expect these 6 clubs to win at least half of the premierships over the next 20 years. Maybe you can throw Carlton into the mix and surely Essendon are due for some better years ahead eventually.

Teams like GWS, Brisbane Lions, Adelaide and Port will be regular finals contenders but struggle to break through the barrier. But maybe I'll be wrong and there is a surprise around the corner.

I genuinely believed who won the 2006 prelim vs WCE would have won the flag. Yes west coast only won by a point the following week but we had Sydney’s measure through that period. I felt like that was as big a missed opportunity as what 2017 was, west coast were a super team who probably could have won more than the 1 flag in that era but we were probably just as good and should have won that game at home.

I also wonder what might have happened if the Phil Walsh episode never occurred, although that’s a bigger tragedy than any football story.

Back