News Crows 5 Year Plan: AFL Premiership by 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

pretty sure it's in our constitution.

Except it isn't. You are trapped in the Trigg days.

When Walsh came in we made a statement that our window would open in 2017 and thats the year we entered a grand final as heavy favorites.

Over the past 3 years we have openly acknowledged a heavy and full rebuild. The only debate is whether this started at the end of 2019 or end of 2020.

The past 8 years we have either been chasing a flag or doing a complete rebuild.

This is Port Adelaide type self-flagellating. 3 flags in 5 years type BS.

Stop announcing things that always end up being pie in the sky rubbish, like Port does.

Just do the work and you'll get what you deserve. Thanks Kenny.

Imagine being upset that an AFL club came out and said its goal is to win a flag within the next 5 years.

When Walsh came in we made a statement that our window would open in 2017 and thats the year we entered a grand final as heavy favorites.

Over the past 3 years we have openly acknowledged a heavy and full rebuild. The only debate is whether this started at the end of 2019 or end of 2020.

The past 8 years we have either been chasing a flag or doing a complete rebuild.

i never looked at it in the Trigg days, pretty sure it's in our current constitution among a few other missions. Or maybe it was in a recent annual report. I'll chruck.

Last edited:

2020 annual report is where I read it. Little while after Triggy.

935F2544-0D03-4766-81FC-7A18EFB16FE0.png

so we aim to win a premiership.....
revolutionary stuff

why didn't I think of that?!
View attachment 1618904
Yep, I reckon just about every club has that in their plan.

But imagine this board if they’d have stated a realistic goal like achieving a top four finish. Bahaha there’d be cries of “typical, aiming for mediocrity”.

At least we’re not going for 3 out 5 baaahahahaha!

I like the “Earn the Pride”, bit of a slap in the face to “Pride of South Australia” which really we haven’t been.
Starting line to the club song should be changed to ‘Earn the pride of …’ instead of ‘we’re the Pride of…’

Competition has matured and having 2 of the best the game will ever see in peak form will no longer provide the advantage it did. 3 flags occurred in 5 years where Randall and Phillips played out the season. Where they didn't, I don't think we even made finals. Our system isn't what set us apart and it'll just keep falling back into the pack. That said, the fixture has a big bearing too, given they don't even play each other once and there's some really bad sides still.
AFL is also massively encouraging and pushing for as much player movement as possible every year to bring up the new sides as quick as possible and stop any one side dominating for a period like we did too. The fact we kept a few more than expected last year probably pissed people in the AFL off.

I wouldn't call the guy describing it as "Port Adelaide type self-flagellating" as wanting us to "Stop announcing things that always end up being pie in the sky rubbish" as happy with it.

Still not what I'd describe as 'upset'. I think it's wildly optimistic of where this list and club is at and ultimately peaking. I'd prefer that they have a better handle of what they're capable of in the time frame they identify, but these things are meaningless though. Nobody gets held to extra account because something in the 5 year plan wasn't ticked off. I really don't understand why they bother, unless you're a club with a fully voted on board and theRE's a realistic alternate ticket being put together. That's a worthwhile time to dust off a 5 year plan, find and replace 2010 with 2022, adjust a couple of the numerical goals, add a paragraph/column for the AFLW goals and release. It's mostly just an excuse for not being good now and something the rainbow and lollipop brigade will eat up and use as proof that the club is definitely on the right track because our plan isn't to be good now, we're winning the flag in 5 years. Just wait, the apologists will refer to this as we go about arguing where we're going right and wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind it. If we are setting a goal of one flag in 5 years, then say in 2 years if we are just plodding along and doesn’t look like it will be achievable then they are bound to make changes.

Nicks, Hamish and Reid will all need to go.

Also tells me they’ve got some expectation of bringing in some experienced talent in the next couple of years. Realistically draftees in the next 5 years are unlikely to be meaningful contributors to a flag within 5 years. I doubt they think we’ve got a premiership list ready to go.

Then again it could have been a brain fart that looked good on a white board and they ran with it.

I was thinking this too, by putting a plan in place and making it public they are making personnel accountable. The most important KPI is the premiership IMO, so to focus on that, if we are not on track in two years, the coach will have to go. At a basic level, that's finals by 2024, top 4 by 2025-26, then the premiership 2027. There may be other measures such as recruitment of players that are needed to get us there, and if we can't attract players (we are doing a good job so far) then we won't make top 4, so recruitment will be accountable. Are we fit enough (Burgess doing well here too).

I think having a plan means every element is considered, each person's role (outside players) is considered, measured and clear in where we want to be each year.

And I also agree they must be confident that the wheels are in place for player attraction, this is critical, we must have a whole lot of best 22 players lined up from other clubs. I look forward to a real transformation of the club in the next 2 years.

Still not what I'd describe as 'upset'. I think it's wildly optimistic of where this list and club is at and ultimately peaking. I'd prefer that they have a better handle of what they're capable of in the time frame they identify, but these things are meaningless though. Nobody gets held to extra account because something in the 5 year plan wasn't ticked off. I really don't understand why they bother, unless you're a club with a fully voted on board and theRE's a realistic alternate ticket being put together. That's a worthwhile time to dust off a 5 year plan, find and replace 2010 with 2022, adjust a couple of the numerical goals, add a paragraph/column for the AFLW goals and release. It's mostly just an excuse for not being good now and something the rainbow and lollipop brigade will eat up and use as proof that the club is definitely on the right track because our plan isn't to be good now, we're winning the flag in 5 years. Just wait, the apologists will refer to this as we go about arguing where we're going right and wrong.

I just don't think they can win with you.

They don't announce something - Then you just say there is no plan to win a flag. Everyone is happy to just try and eek an existence trying to make the finals.

They announce a goal to win a flag - its wildly optimistic and they don't have a handle on it.

5 years is a long time. I would wager nobody saw us making a grand final in 4 years after 2013.

Don't mind it at all, people at the club putting their necks on the line. As if we look miles off it in a few years they can go.

Got a feeling we might shock a few this year though.
This is putting a lot of faith in our current administration to sack themselves if they don't achieve their goals.

Remember that the members cannot hold the club accountable until the board is fully member elected. The earliest this can happen is 2028, a year after the five year plan ends. And that's assuming the board is willing to become fully elected.

This plan would carry a lot more weight if there were actual consequences for not meeting it. But when we don't achieve it I suspect there will be excuses and shifting of the goal posts because they can't be held accountable by the members

I just don't think they can win with you.

They don't announce something - Then you just say there is no plan to win a flag. Everyone is happy to just try and eek an existence trying to make the finals.

They announce a goal to win a flag - its wildly optimistic and they don't have a handle on it.

5 years is a long time. I would wager nobody saw us making a grand final in 4 years after 2013.

Huh? Basically the same list had gone to the prelim the year before and nearly knocked off the Hawks

There is no right way or wrong way to support the team

This is putting a lot of faith in our current administration to sack themselves if they don't achieve their goals.

Remember that the members cannot hold the club accountable until the board is fully member elected. The earliest this can happen is 2028, a year after the five year plan ends. And that's assuming the board is willing to become fully elected.

This plan would carry a lot more weight if there were actual consequences for not meeting it. But when we don't achieve it I suspect there will be excuses and shifting of the goal posts because they can't be held accountable by the members
So because the members can't vote, it would be better to not have a plan and stated objectives?

I'm quite happy that they've targeted, among other things, a flag by 2027. It means that the decisions they make can be held up against that objective. The members may not be able to vote, but public pressure has instigated change at the club previously (recently), so they will be subject to scrutiny.

We've only heard commercial objectives in the past from our board and admin, it's good that they've set on field success as a target. I don't know what many people here would have been happier with, but I suspect nothing.

I'm glad the narrative seems to have changed from existing to playing finals, to winning the premiership.

This is such a big thing for our club, and the tough rebuild is now being matched by the right goal as the outcome.

I haven't read the plan though, just off what is on here.

WW2 general Omar Bradley once said:

”Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics.”

Okay, I’ll admit, I just wanted an excuse to post that, but it does have a lot of relevance in the corporate world.

Anyone who’s worked in a professional environment knows that strategic plans are 95% corporate wank.

What matters for success is having the right talent in the right positions and then making sure they have excellent morale.

You can have all the strategy in the world, but if you aint got the above, all you got is…

1677711349302.gif

WW2 general Omar Bradley once said:

”Amateurs talk about strategy. Professionals talk about logistics.”

Okay, I’ll admit, I just wanted an excuse to post that, but it does have a lot of relevance in the corporate world.

Anyone who’s worked in a professional environment knows that strategic plans are 95% corporate wank.

What matters for success is having the right talent in the right positions and then making sure they have excellent morale.

You can have all the strategy in the world, but if you aint got the above, all you got is…

View attachment 1619130
It leads me to think we are going hard at targeting players in the future, if it’s just pissing into a fan people will fall off quickly

The time needed to draft, and develop a premiership calibre midfield precludes us winning a flag in the next five years.

It leads me to think we are going hard at targeting players in the future, if it’s just pissing into a fan people will fall off quickly
That big fish we've been talking about for 20 years is about to land

Remove this Banner Ad

Back