News Crows 5 Year Plan: AFL Premiership by 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

The top strategic priorities to be achieved by 2027 include but are not limited to:

1. A premiership for the AFL team
  2. Sustained AFLW success highlighted by a fourth flag
  3. A membership tally of 100,000
  4. Community programs accessible to 100,000 participants
  5. Relocate the entire Club to its new home base by 2026

I've see this somewhere before.

GIF by South Park

The top strategic priorities to be achieved by 2027 include but are not limited to:

Well it's what we all want really.

Look forward to the backlash.

Winning a flag in the next five years is very ambitious
It is, and will require more trades this year with our draft haul. I'm thinking NWM, Will Day, Redman and now why not Himmelberg. That would get us into the 8 by 2024 if we fall short this year.

I've been supporting this game for long enough to know things can change VERY fast

North Melbourne could come out with the same 5 point plan tomorrow, and I wouldn't rule out them accomplishing 4 of them (They aint getting 100k members)

It's a pretty compelling basis to think that the posters on this board that have argued that the club has consistently misjudged how close to being done with rebuilding they are have been correct.

We come out of the re-build without significantly addressing this midfield and the premiership drought will hit 40.

I've been supporting this game for long enough to know things can change VERY fast

North Melbourne could come out with the same 5 point plan tomorrow, and I wouldn't rule out them accomplishing 4 of them (They aint getting 100k members)

I'd have to think that the AFL is the sport with the slowest 'shithouse to premiership' transition times in professional sports, rather than changing very fast.

I'd have to think that the AFL is the sport with the slowest 'shithouse to premiership' transition times in professional sports, rather than changing very fast.
Soccer? Hockey? Baseball?

Yep.

You get a team winning a premiership, trading in players AND getting handed a top ten pick for free.

It's no wonder it's been the same clubs winning everything the last 15 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer? Hockey? Baseball?

I don't follow any of them, but fortunes in soccer can change based upon one transfer window, depending upon the talent- within the natural limits of the club's financial power.

7 years (2020 spoon, to 2027 flag) would be one of the fastest rebuilds in modern AFL history.

West Coast did this from 2010 (first hit bottom 4) to 2018 (flag) in 8 years and I think that was the quickest

Yep.

You get a team winning a premiership, trading in players AND getting handed a top ten pick for free.

It's no wonder it's been the same clubs winning everything the last 15 years.

I think there are league structural difficulties preventing true equalisation.

The most significant is that the gap between maximum and minimum spend in the salary cap is too low. The difference in offers between good and crap clubs to good players are not significant enough to lead to elite player movement, and so players that have the best players keep them. Effectively it takes generational change for the elite teams to cease being so. Teams like ours that have been crap for five years without acquiring an elite midfielder? Bugger all chance of getting there.

7 years (2020 spoon, to 2027 flag) would be one of the fastest rebuilds in modern AFL history.

West Coast did this from 2010 (first hit bottom 4) to 2018 (flag) in 8 years and I think that was the quickest
Premierships
Brisbane 3 years 1998 ---> 2001 (+2002, 2003, and GF in 2004)

Grand Finals
Collingwood 3 years 1999 ---> 2002 (+2003)

Then there's others who were awfully close

Sydney 2020 ---> 2022 was 16th to Runners up
Hawthorn 2004 ---> 2008 15th to premiers
Brisbane 2017 ---> 2019 wooden spoon to 2nd

I think there are league structural difficulties preventing true equalisation.

The most significant is that the gap between maximum and minimum spend in the salary cap is too low. The difference in offers between good and crap clubs to good players are not significant enough to lead to elite player movement, and so players that have the best players keep them. Effectively it takes generational change for the elite teams to cease being so. Teams like ours that have been crap for five years without acquiring an elite midfielder? Bugger all chance of getting there.
The inability of poor teams to pay a star like $2 million because the salary floor is too high is really hurting equalization.

It basically forces teams to sign up mediocre players to fill the cap. And then you get Jack Bowes trades happening to dump it

Reckon we will still be relying on the Women's team for the flag... but hopefully men's team are playing consistent finals from 2024.

The inability of poor teams to pay a star like $2 million because the salary floor is too high is really hurting equalization.

It basically forces teams to sign up mediocre players to fill the cap. And then you get Jack Bowes trades happening to dump it
I would say giving players veto rights is also a massive issue.

Premierships
Brisbane 3 years 1998 ---> 2001 (+2002, 2003, and GF in 2004)

Grand Finals
Collingwood 3 years 1999 ---> 2002 (+2003)

Then there's others who were awfully close

Sydney 2020 ---> 2022 was 16th to Runners up
Hawthorn 2004 ---> 2008 15th to premiers
Brisbane 2017 ---> 2019 wooden spoon to 2nd
Yes, the one club that did it faster did it with huge concessions.

Brisbane's rebuild began in 2010 or perhaps even earlier in 2006 and they still haven't even made a grand final from that build.

Hawthorn attempted a rebuild in the mid 90s that failed and they had to try again.

Sydney hasn't rebuilt having only missed finals 3 times since 2003

You could even say West Coast's rebuild began in 2008 giving them 10 years to a flag

Yes, the one club that did it faster did it with huge concessions.

Brisbane's rebuild began in 2010 or perhaps even earlier in 2006 and they still haven't even made a grand final from that build.

Hawthorn attempted a rebuild in the mid 90s that failed and they had to try again.

Sydney hasn't rebuilt having only missed finals 3 times since 2003
Huge concessions?

They had a grand total of 1 player join from Fitzroy after the "merge".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back