Analysis Adelaide’s Game Plan (or lack thereof)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry for another thread but I think one focussed on the current game plan is warranted given it is the elephant in the room.

I appreciate all the other threads talking about changes to the lineup and midfield mix etc which I all agree with.

But surely at the moment the #1 issue we need to discuss is the game plan.

Issues I am seeing:
  • slow play out of defence
  • long bombs to contests down the line
  • absolutely no attempt to move the ball quickly up the field, nor any attempt to cut back and forth to try and slice through the opposition net
  • long bomb into the forward line when we our only tall forwards are lead up players
  • midfield mix is a factor which could facilitate some change? Eg Rachele, ranks and Peds more midfield time?

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Any different opinions or additional observations?

Sorry for another thread but I think one focussed on the current game plan is warranted given it is the elephant in the room.

I appreciate all the other threads talking about changes to the lineup and midfield mix etc which I all agree with.

Issues I am seeing:
  • absolutely no attempt to move the ball quickly up the field, nor any attempt to cut back and forth to try and slice through the opposition net
  • long bomb into the forward line when we our only tall forwards are lead up players
  • midfield mix is a factor which could facilitate some change? Eg Rachele, ranks and Peds more midfield time?

Yep, he doesn't want to risk losing so his game plan is ultra defence to nullify. Has no interest in taking the game on unless its a counter attack with open players or we win it out the middle. At all times he plans on using the wings. Our long bomb to the forward line is just lazy.

Issues I am seeing:

Well said.

It’s the kick pass slow game that’s killing us. We don’t play on from a mark, we look for the next kick to a player. Then eventually we bomb to a contest which we generally lose or we bomb to opposition defenders.

We are killing our forwards.

All because Nicks wanted to be more defensive and thinks this is the way to do it. He is dumb coach.

Against Gold Coast the commentators were pleading for us to play on from a mark, the only time we attacked we almost snatched it.

If management aren’t asking Nicks what the * is he doing then they are dumb as well. Well actually they are, they re-signed the guy who is going to lead us to another minor round exit.

Well said.

It’s the kick pass slow game that’s killing us. We don’t play on from a mark, we look for the next kick to a player. Then eventually we bomb to a contest which we generally lose or we bomb to opposition defenders.

We are killing our forwards.

All because Nicks wanted to be more defensive and thinks this is the way to do it. He is dumb coach.

Against Gold Coast the commentators were pleading for us to play on from a mark, the only time we attacked we almost snatched it.

If management aren’t asking Nicks what the * is he doing then they are dumb as well. Well actually they are, they re-signed the guy who is going to lead us to another minor round exit.
Good point regarding not playing on at all. You are bang on, Ned god bless him was the only one to play on from a mark!

Players aren't working hard enough and when they do, they work into the same spots.

Saw multiple instances of two players both going for the same mark then stuffing it up

Either the players are confused as to what the game plan is, communication is poor or the game plan just sucks

Players aren't working hard enough and when they do, they work into the same spots.

Saw multiple instances of two players both going for the same mark then stuffing it up

Either the players are confused as to what the game plan is, communication is poor or the game plan just sucks
Certainly looks like there is confusion amongst the players,

Issues I am seeing:

Nailed it with the long bombs into the forward line and long bombs coming out of defence.

Worst part is, it is constant, predictable, so easy to counter, and kills the killer attack style we were developing last season. Highest scoring attack in the AFL last season and now suddenly struggling to score.

WTF! 🤬 The personnel changes are minor so surely something's askew with the coaching.

when a team executes poorly as we are ATM its hard to identify is it more game plan or personnel

my view is it’s more personnel

we need to start playing our most talented 22

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s obvious to everyone that Stewart was killing us supporters and coaches alike, I think the distressing thing is our coaching staff couldn’t combat it, wait till we play against Aliir and see if it happens again

It’s obvious to everyone that Stewart was killing us supporters and coaches alike, I think the distressing thing is our coaching staff couldn’t combat it, wait till we play against Aliir and see if it happens again
Giving the job of quelling the marking Stewart to a small in Pedlar was bewildering.

You need someone who can complete with him in the air.

Nailed it with the long bombs into the forward line and long bombs coming out of defence.

Worst part is, it is constant, predictable, so easy to counter, and kills the killer attack style we were developing last season. Highest scoring attack in the AFL last season and now suddenly struggling to score.

WTF! 🤬 The personnel changes are minor so surely something's askew with the coaching.
Perfect game plan to play right into the Cats' defenders strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point regarding not playing on at all. You are bang on, Ned god bless him was the only one to play on from a mark!
We need to get back to the quick movement that was working for us last year.

It is that simple.

Speed and precision of ball movement was a highlight last year when the team was playing well, so I doubt it's an intentional plan. It seems to be a significant regression and was a massive issue on the weekend though.

Speed and precision of ball movement was a highlight last year when the team was playing well, so I doubt it's an intentional plan. It seems to be a significant regression and was a massive issue on the weekend though.

It's mostly the same team playing though.

After hearing about Nicks wanting to improve our defense it appears like a deliberate change in game plan

At this point I think the WCE at home are the only side I think we could beat. Thats round 11. NM in Hobart rdn7 will be 50-50. :'(

Wow havent seen that…. The coaches have no idea if they say that’s putting work into him…… Nicks that is just embarrassing yourself

Yeah, Nicks’ comments of he’s just too good of a player.. HES WIDE OPEN, Scott wouldv been laughing, prob had Murphy on him and just let him go up to the contest

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back