Preview Gold Coast Suns v Adelaide Crows, Saturday 16th of March, People First Stadium, Gold Coast, 7.40pm Adelaide time.

Who will be the sub?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I get why people are assuming Soligo is going to be the sub, but donā€™t rule out Pedlar - I suspect the inclusion of Berry means Bez will split time between half forward and inside midfield, which may relegate Pedlar to the vest.

There is no way newly minted Leadership Group legend Lachie Murphy is going to be sub either, so thereā€™s another forward half player that might push Pedlar out of the 22 for this game. Throw in Keays, Rankine, Rachele - itā€™s definitely on the cards.

Itā€™s a toss up between Pedlar and Soligo for mine. Personally theyā€™d both be in my starting 18, let alone 22, but here we are.

If Soligo is named as sub, itā€™s got Tom Lynch in Tassie vibes because heā€™s clearly in our best dozen players, so if heā€™s in the vest itā€™s because he isnā€™t fit, and if he isnā€™t fit he shouldnā€™t be named at all.

So yeah, Iā€™ll go with Pedlar as sub as a prediction.
Donā€™t rule out Hinge is my mail

Would mean Soligo and Sholl on wings and Jones in defence

Has Butts shrunk. They have him listed now at 195cm. He was 200cm before.
There is something wrong with the AFC website with regards to the players profiles. I have noticed their weight is missing for many of the players. Definitly closer to 200 rather than 195. I have seen him variously listed at 199cm and 198 cm. I have also seen a 200cm measurement of him published somewhere also.

There is something wrong with the AFC website with regards to the players profiles. I have noticed their weight is missing for many of the players. Definitly closer to 200 rather than 195. I have seen him variously listed at 199cm and 198 cm. I have also seen a 200cm measurement of him published somewhere also.

Somewhere between 195 and 200cm looks right based on the team photo

1710469645553.png

I think clubs and the media have been told not to publish the players weights
Players are apparently that fragile these days they may have mental health issues if their weight was known.
Clayton Oliver likes this

The weight thing is a new rule not to publish weights of players

Hey guys, who is most likely to keep their spot in the side once Tex is back between Burgess and Gollant?
I know Burgess did some backup ruck work in the suns VFL the last couple years, would that give him the
slight edge over Gollant?

Definitely Burgess is more likely than Gollant. I doubt Gollant would be considered if Tex wasn't out. Burgess is more of a replacement for Thilthorpe who will be out for half the season.

Of course, if Burgess posts donuts and Gollant kicks a bag, that will change pretty quick.

A new season of challenges awaits. If we want to play finals and then we've got to earn it. I know I keep saying this. After been booted out of the 8 last year, there is two ways this season could go, make or miss.

Without Walker, a good test for this young team (also older players like Smith, Crouch). Midfield really needs to shine and the forwards need to take their chances when they get them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win this without Tex or Thilth, it will instil huge confidence in the group and go a long way in getting us into the top 8.
Also the fans will have a little bit more trust in the team, I don't think anyone has trusted this team since the week between the PF 2017 and the GF 2017

Our current core as it stands right now is made up almost entirely of players we had before the rebuild, and Dawson

Our starting midfield is O'Brien, Laird, Crouch (all pre-rebuild players) and Dawson. Our two main KPFs are Walker and Fogarty (pre-rebuild). Our KPDs are Butts (pre-rebuild) and Murray (SSP)

Seven of our eight leadership group players are pre-rebuild

We simply have not finished transitioning our top draft picks we "purposely kneecapped" the side for into core players. Thilthorpe is currently our third tall forward, we've got Pedlar and Rachele in largely fringe forward roles, Curtin, Cook and Edwards can't make the team, Michalanney is a back pocket and Soligo (who we contracted for 6 years) is firming as the sub

So far the rebuild has mostly been adding players around the edges of what we already had, not transitioning the core.

The rebuild won't be done until the players we rebuilt for make the team theirs
I can't believe everyone just let "Fogarty and Butts are pre-rebuild players" and Rankine not even being mentioned slide. Thilthorpe was clearly not going to be third tall pre-injury and no s**t we play an elite undersized lock down defender in the back pocket.

Also "7 out of 8 leadership group players are pre-rebuild" is just an insane thing to say. Like what, Hinge and Keays are pre-rebuild players? Please.

Last edited:
This game is huge for the belief of the group.

We win and the confidence of the team immediately lifts.

We lose and the doubt creeps in.

This is a game we should be winning if we are serious about playing finals.

I can't believe everyone just let "Fogarty and Butts are pre-rebuild players" and Rankine not even being mentioned slide. Thilthorpe was clearly not going to be third tall pre-injury and no s**t we play an elite undersized lock down defender in the back pocket.

Also "7 out of 8 leadership group players are pre-rebuild" is just an insane thing to say. Like what, Hinge and Keays are pre-rebuild players? Please.
Absolutely ridiculous post by Scorpus , be critical sure but donā€™t make things up

Not even sure heā€™s got that starting midfield correct , canā€™t remember last time Matt started in mid for premiership points

Pretty sure not at all last year , could happen though

We literally got rid of alot of our older non elite seniors after 2019

Just have a few older senior players and the rest are rebuild players

Without 3 best 22 Key Position players?

Our 2 key forwards and a Key Defender not available isn't going to be an easy assignment especially given it's against a team obviously on the up and at almost full strength, only best 22 player missing for them is Lachie Weller.
Then it's on their home deck in conditions likely to be in their favour.

Bookies have the right team favourite.
For our growth as a side, if we're serious about the next generation stepping up wanting to embrace and/or exceed the expectations, then this is the type of game that if we snag would bring the belief that we have the depth to challenge.

Our team still looks capable to win this game.

Not sure they will, however. Hence why I've tipped GC!

Back