Game Day HOME GAME: Adelaide v Geelong - FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if we traded one of Smith or Laird when they were actually good?

The decline was obvious, and their peak was useless due to the state of our list.
Yeah we all said it. Sadly we could run the club better. In saying that a drunk off the street could probably run it better.

Why was the coach insisting on playing short asses (Murph and Pedler) on Stewart .Man him up with a taller player . Should have bought in Nankervis who is agile and can mark and just said follow Stewart and be by his side all the time and make it hard for him . Stewart being the smart player he his would drag you to the ball and you would get your own possessions .

Were you watching? There IS NO system going forward. It’s a chook lotto. Sure we got it in there lots but there was no system. With the amount of forward entries we had, we should have won by six goals. We are a rabble under burns.
I agree the fwd setup is terrible, but why are you blaming only Burns? What about our backs bombing it long every time. What about our mids inability to get it out of the contest to the outside?

I guess the good thing about our start to the year, is that it is becoming impossible even for our hard-headed club to ignore that we have absolutely no system up forward.

We can't simply rely on individual brilliance to win matches of football. Watching Geelong hit up forwards on the lead with ease all night while we bomb it into giant packs of players was infuriating for me to watch, hopefully it was at least somewhat galling for Nicks and co.

Same issue two weeks in a row, in wet weather and in dry weather, on the road and at home. Our players get the ball, they look up and they just see a dozen players filling our forward line, shrug their shoulders, and just kick it into the sky. And after the inevitable turnover the opposition just calmly dabs a pass to a leading forward in a one-on-one contest.

I agree the fwd setup is terrible, but why are you blaming only Burns? What about our backs bombing it long every time. What about our mids inability to get it out of the contest to the outside?

Our backs did a good job working the ball around, but there was no movement up ahead. You can't just kick to someone static, it will get shut down. The players ahead need to create opportunities for attacking play.

The midfielders got it out of the contest plenty. We won plenty of clearances. But then they rarely had good leads to kick to.

Our problem is always ahead of the ball. If the ball is in defence, our midfield players don't create free options. If the ball is in the midfield, our forwards don't create space and lead into it. Everyone just finds their spot and stands there waiting for the long bomb. You can't win a game of football that way.

Forward line need to watch how Modra lead at the footy, or did a double back lead. Where the ball is kicked relatively to his lead.

Whens the last time you saw a crows player do a double back lead??

We either are only streaming back towards goal or standing still waiting for the ball to come down from space while we wrestle with two defenders.

Do you know what's hard to defend? Forwards always on the move, constant leads up and back, a double back a straight lead followed by a cut 45 ball side.

This isn't ******* rocket science U11 netballers know how to lead towards a ball better

Just got back from the game. First game I've been to live since 2019. I was disgusted. No flare or fluency in our game. Constantly we let the ball get over the back. When there was a turnover, our players would often barely be getting out of first gear to get back and defend, whereas Geelong would quickly block up our forward line. Stewart was always where the forward should be, I don't know why we didn't put a lockdown forward on him in the first quarter. Most our CBA's were Laird, Crouch, Dawson - we needed to throw in some of our younger guys soon to add some flare and creativity here. A lot of our players were double grabbing/overrunning the ball - Geelong wanted it more and were cleaner. They also were not afraid to use the centre or actually lead.

One of the good things Nicks did was sub Berry off for McHenry - he did a really good job of taking the game on and we instantly looked better. Reckon it show's our balance is off more than anything. Berry's grunt work was OK but he was double grabbing everything, compared to Crouch who was extremely clean handling the ball. Would give Berry a few more chances but TBH I don't think he will make it as an AFL mid.

Those two posters as well - horrid. Absolutely momentum destroying.

Because last year our forwards were strong and had a workable system. All of a sudden we’re s**t. What’s the one change that’s been made? Hint: RAHILLY out BURNS in.

Why was the coach insisting on playing short asses (Murph and Pedler) on Stewart .Man him up with a taller player . Should have bought in Nankervis who is agile and can mark and just said follow Stewart and be by his side all the time and make it hard for him . Stewart being the smart player he his would drag you to the ball and you would get your own possessions .
We could have played Burgess on him or we could have done 20 other things better than putting Pedlar on him. Pedlar is a mid who switches forward. The players also tried to pick out Stewart which was also very dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I listened to Triple M while spending 25 minutes just getting out of the carpark and they mentioned Tom as BOG and asked Roo his thoughts. Some dickhead tried to cut in so I was distracted but I think the problem - if I have this right - was that we went slow and wide which allowed Stewart to position himself to intercept.

ie going down the guts fast allows us to identify multiple targets which Stewart cant anticipate.

Thats the role of Murphy and Pedlar to make themselves a target.

You are right once the defence identified the slow entry a tall should have gone to Stewart - poor leadership back there

Because last year our forwards were strong and had a workable system. All of a sudden we’re s**t. What’s the one change that’s been made? Hint: RAHILLY out BURNS in.
Who is our defensive coach - I admit I cant recall who got the job - wait isnt it the Port guy?

Berry was just as rubbish

Yeah Berry was poor, but at least he was affecting play somewhat.

Murphys only meaningful input was to slow down play on the HBF, then direct traffic forward with expert hand signalling before bombing it to nobody(one time = 2 bnf votes).

We need more expert hand signalling from dear leader.

th-3555275570.jpg

Last edited:
Jack Hombsch on that post game show thing “we know we’re still a good side”…. Ah no you’re not dude. Would’ve run out of bath tub water/cool-aid at West Lakes this pre-season.
That's just one of those empty statements coaches say when they don't have anything else to say.

We seem to only have 3 players who can run with ball in hand at pace. The rest either insta-pass the ball like its a hot potato, or play stick-in-the mud and wait for pressure before hoiking it down the line off a couple of slow steps.

What drills/gameplan have we been playing all off-season is what I want to know. Expanded leadership group, but nobody wants to take an ounce of responsibility.

Jones did put some good games together last year and looked good, been ordinary so far this year but his best is better than Berry

Jones showed plenty last season and looked as though the penny had finally dropped. Has taken 3 steps backwards since his injury.

Wouldnt surprise me if hes made the sacrificial lamb this week.

Just got back from the game. First game I've been to live since 2019. I was disgusted. No flare or fluency in our game. Constantly we let the ball get over the back. When there was a turnover, our players would often barely be getting out of first gear to get back and defend, whereas Geelong would quickly block up our forward line. Stewart was always where the forward should be, I don't know why we didn't put a lockdown forward on him in the first quarter. Most our CBA's were Laird, Crouch, Dawson - we needed to throw in some of our younger guys soon to add some flare and creativity here. A lot of our players were double grabbing/overrunning the ball - Geelong wanted it more and were cleaner. They also were not afraid to use the centre or actually lead.

One of the good things Nicks did was sub Berry off for McHenry - he did a really good job of taking the game on and we instantly looked better. Reckon it show's our balance is off more than anything. Berry's grunt work was OK but he was double grabbing everything, compared to Crouch who was extremely clean handling the ball. Would give Berry a few more chances but TBH I don't think he will make it as an AFL mid.

Those two posters as well - horrid. Absolutely momentum destroying.
From what I seen of our chasing I would swear we either weren't putting in 100% or we were fatigued from the week before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back