Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Uhh, Burns ain’t the defensive coach anymore
WTF
We need to update our website?

I mean.
Our website says we only have 3 senior coaches (Burns as defence, van Berlo as midfield and Nicks as senior.................Would explain why our forwards look like headless chooks)

WTF
We need to update our website?

I mean.
Our website says we only have 3 senior coaches (Burns as defence, van Berlo as midfield and Nicks as senior.................Would explain why our forwards look like headless chooks)
ADELAIDE’S 2024 COACHING STRUCTURE
Matthew Nicks – Senior Coach

Scott Burns – Forwards and Senior Assistant Coach

Nathan van Berlo – Midfield Coach

Jack Hombsch – Backs Coach

Michael Godden – SANFL and Coach Development

Marco Bello – Head of Development

Matthew Wright – Development Coach

Chelsea Randall – Development Coach

Andrew McPherson – Development Coach

We also added Sam Baulderstone in as a part-time ruck coach too, but I'm not sure if he does game days.

ADELAIDE’S 2024 COACHING STRUCTURE
Matthew Nicks – Senior Coach

Scott Burns – Forwards and Senior Assistant Coach

Nathan van Berlo – Midfield Coach

Jack Hombsch – Backs Coach

Michael Godden – SANFL and Coach Development

Marco Bello – Head of Development

Matthew Wright – Development Coach

Chelsea Randall – Development Coach

Andrew McPherson – Development Coach

We also added Sam Baulderstone in as a part-time ruck coach too, but I'm not sure if he does game days.
If that's our coachign panel, and what I've seen hus far.

Sack Nicks, Burns, van Berlo, Wright and Randall.

All you campaigners saying Buckley can piss off. He's a loser. If he didn't win anything with Collingwood and all the advantages and resources they have, what the hell makes you think he'll succeed at Adelaide?

I wouldn't stress. He moved to Victoria for a reason. He is never moving back to Adelaide even if we offered more money than any other coach. Plus I doubt he will ever consider coaching again, let alone a club thats not Collingwood.

I wouldn't stress. He moved to Victoria for a reason. He is never moving back to Adelaide even if we offered more money than any other coach. Plus I doubt he will ever consider coaching again, let alone a club thats not Collingwood.

He moved to Victoria 30 years ago.

I can’t see him giving up his cushy Fox/SEN gig, he seems well liked and he’s probably getting well paid. Why would he go back to the stress of coaching unless he gets a blank cheque (which we probably couldn’t give him anyway if we sack a head coach contracted to 2026)?

I can’t see him giving up his cushy Fox/SEN gig, he seems well liked and he’s probably getting well paid. Why would he go back to the stress of coaching unless he gets a blank cheque (which we probably couldn’t give him anyway if we sack a head coach contracted to 2026)?

Come on, It's Nathan Buckley.

He's no Garry Lyon.

If there ever was a personality that would give all that up for the challenge, it's Buckley.

Buckley, but he won’t leave his media gig
Sadly for us, but lucky for him, he isn't stupid enough to take on such a s**t gig as coaching this dickless club. No way they'd allow him to surround himself with the personnel required, nor give him enough power to sort things out. I want Nicks gone, but I think we're spinning our wheels regardless while the rest of the club remains as shitful as it is.

We took Dawson who'd received the type of player development you'd expect from a quality club like Sydney and are turning him into an also-ran. We absolutely stink from top to bottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly for us, but lucky for him, he isn't stupid enough to take on such a s**t gig as coaching this dickless club. No way they'd allow him to surround himself with the personnel required, nor give him enough power to sort things out. I want Nicks gone, but I think we're spinning our wheels regardless while the rest of the club remains as shitful as it is.

We took Dawson who'd received the type of player development you'd expect from a quality club like Sydney and are turning him into an also-ran. We absolutely stink from top to bottom.
I think Dawson is simply out of form, playing in a system that doesn’t allow him to show his strengths - he’ll be a great player when he has good system around him (who knows when that will be). But I agree with the rest

Come on, It's Nathan Buckley.

He's no Garry Lyon.

If there ever was a personality that would give all that up for the challenge, it's Buckley.
Why didnt he then? He could have taken an assistants role and maybe worked his way back to senior coaching. Instead he took the easy path of doing media instead. Doesn't look like a guy who wants a challenge to me.

it doesnt matter. after what will be billed as an in depth, worldwide, all encompassing search leaving no stone unturned, it will be nathan van berlo.

it doesnt matter. after what will be billed as an in depth, worldwide, all encompassing search leaving no stone unturned, it will be nathan van berlo.
Could see Van Berlo getting it if we have no money to spend because we're paying out Nicks. I doubt he'd get the role otherwise.

Why didnt he then? He could have taken an assistants role and maybe worked his way back to senior coaching. Instead he took the easy path of doing media instead. Doesn't look like a guy who wants a challenge to me.

He coached for 10 years, why didn't he immediately jump back in as an assistant? Serious question? Lazy *.

You're presenting it like he's been in the media for 10 years, he last coached in 2021.

In recent years he's had a divorce and has kids in Victoria, next year those kids are 17 and 19. Time might be right for a move.

I don't know if he would be interested but if there ever was someone that would leave the comfort of the media it would be him. The guy is notorious for how driven he is. It's just a weird accusation to direct at him, specifically.

If the timing was right for him, I'm not sure how many realistic options would be available in Victoria.

Just butting it.

You guys should be all over Hayden Skipworth?

Would take him at Port in a minute.

Ok hear me out:
Malcolm Blight - Magarey medalist.
Nathan Buckley - Magarey medalist.

Malcolm Blight - Moved to Victoria.
Nathan Buckley - Moved to Victoria.

Malcolm Blight - Becomes a Brownlow medalist, club best and fairest and Plays in multiple grand finals.
Nathan Buckley - Becomes a Brownlow medalist, club best and fairest and Plays in multiple grand finals.

Malcolm Blight - Becomes a coach but coaches the team to multiple losing grand finals.
Nathan Buckley - Becomes a coach but coaches the team to multiple losing grand finals.

Malcolm Blight - Breaks from coaching, works in the media.
Nathan Buckley - Breaks from coaching, works in the media.

Malcolm Blight - Returns home to SA and coaches the Crows to 2 x premierships
Nathan Buckley - ???

I’m not saying anything, but I’m saying everything.
Yes, different players, different coaches but very similar trajectories.
I know I’m stretching, but it’s certainly better than what we’ve got now.

Nathan Buckley, Get onboard.

could we? Could We? COULD WE?
Probably not.

Last edited:
The problem this club will always have is you can’t just get rid of Nicks, there are so many positions that would need to be vacated first/announced as staggered departures for any real change to occur.

These are the dominos that would need to fall for it to actually happen;

First Mark Ricciuto after 10 bloody years would need to step down as Football Director & resign/announce departure date from the Board. I do though unfortunately envision a scene much like Charlton Heston holding on to his gun occuring…
tenor.gif

If that departure were to happen though the other Board members would then need to decide if that role is now redundant and doesn’t need replacing.

Olsen can then move on to announcing one of those more ‘phoney’ internal reviews into club practices like list management, recruitment, development ect., after this is conducted is when they’d need to announce Hamish Ogilvie is finishing up after x amount of years of service…

Justin Reid would be the next to make a judgement call on but probably would just survive for the moment as you can’t get rid of both Ogilvie & Reid at the same time but you’d hope he sees the writing on the wall and is not there for too much longer either.

A couple of weeks after the review is when they can come out and start saying those classic post-review lines like “things kept on popping up in the review regarding x” like the s**t Roo said after Sanderson’s bloodletting. They can say they couldn’t ignore the findings ect. only then Nicks could be let go with his big settlement like Pyke before him.

Burns & van Berlo can then be announced eventually as not having their contracts renewed either. Marco Bello probably touch and go to keep his job as head of development too.

The club would need to find a new Head Coach & multiple Assistant Coaches post-season and then a new National Recruitment Manager post-draft.

It just seems so unlikely all that occurs in one go even though it should, Tim Silvers has spent so much time blowing smoke up Nicks’ arse he’d be totally reluctant to make that call and John Olsen is turning 79 in June and will probably announce his own departure before he turns 80 and whether he wants to go through all that trouble before he leaves is another big question mark. He’d more than likely look to just take the easy road into the sunset given his past decision making evidence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back