BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
Its exciting to see how well the team is performing. I dont want to get to cocky but its been a long time since we could all get excited about our teams performances. Some good wins (Ports, Blues, Saints and Freo) one close victory (Hawks) and four losses all of which we could have won. So I am getting excited. BUT the best thing is that its not all about our senior/experienced players that are driving this. Its revolves around our younger players. Jones, TT, Rachelle, Pedlar, Soligo, Murray, Hinge, Michalanney, Rankine, Ned, Shoenberg, Fogarty, Parnell, Sholl, Butts, All 23years of age or younger.

Then we still have player's like Gollant, Keane, Newchurch, Borlase, Nankervis, Worrell, Taylor, Cook and even Hately. All still 23 or younger. So of these 9 players who will be the ones that will step up. Who of them can be aor next up and coming stars.

For the past 5 years we havent had much to crow about but looking at our current group there is plenty to get excited about. Even tonight on AFL 360 when Robinson said he thought the Crows could go all the way THIS YEAR ......things are looking up.

So who in our reserves is our next star.

Gollant is pretty decent. Not star, but should hold a spot on some team next year. Hopefully ours

Well barring injury, Worrell was going to be in the 1’s this year. So put his aside

Out of these guys that you list: Gollant, Keane, Newchurch, Borlase, Nankervis, Worrell, Taylor, Cook and even Hately

Nankervis is the next one that will catch people’s eye. He is looking very slick in the 2’s - always has time and space, and makes good decisions.

Yes, exciting to have some good young talent coming through but we shouldn't underestimate the stabilizing influence and hardness that our experienced players also provide. Great blend of a good pool of emerging youth and experience.

I see Nank and Worrell easily being top 22 players and making an important contribution given some time and supposing we can keep these two Vic boys. The one not listed in the OP who I think has enormous upside is Billy Dowling. Another bigish bodied mid who can both run and accumulate. Could be a bargain at pick 43. If he is half as good as Dawson who was originally snared at pick 56 we will have done very well!

We need to find 5 more players over the next two years. Plenty of guys on the list in the magoos who can take the step, hopefully.
We do that, and our top end talent keeps on the trajectory they are on, we are contending for a while. That's enough depth to cover injury and form fluctuations as well.
Cook is the one I'm keen to see take the next step. He's got all the talent in the world if he can just put it all together.
He's got all the moves, the vision and the disposal. I hope he does whatever it is he needs to, he has a massive toolbag.

It's probably the one downside to not being injured, there are a few kids.

I've liked Cooks year in the twos. Nank looks to me to have A-grade potential, as does Dowling (he just reminds me of Soglio). Gollant could be a solid third tall for a team. Taylor looked very good last year, though this is looking to be a lost campaign. Worrell looked like a star last year and would probably be best 22 if not for injuries (though, Max would be plying his trade in the twos if that was the case).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after reading the posts its clear that most feel we have a good mix of young talent on the field already. On top of that most seem to believe we have a good band of youngsters in the two's. Someone mentioned that with few injuries this will limit the opportunities for these young players in the two's to get a game. So how do we create the chance for exposure. I guess we could manage some of the older players which could give opportunity or we might get a spate of injuries (no thanks).

This begs the question of delisting players. Normally this would revolve around older players or some obvious individuals who wont make it. Smith, Tex and even Sloane being the elder statemen are playing well and deserve their spot in the team. So who do we move on.

Surely we cant get rid of players who haven't had the chance to play in the one's. Players like Keane, Bond, Dowling, Nankervis, Taylor or Brown would be retained.

That leaves only a few. Seedsman, Crouch, Hately, Hamill, McAdam, Himmelberg, Borlase or McPherson who arent getting a game due to not breaking into the one's or who are injured.

I have no idea of who has a contract that runs past the end of 2023 but there are going to be some really tough decisions to be made at the end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back