Analysis 2021 Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

With the new direction of the club and an emphasis on youth, Jack turns 30 soon and the rise of LMac & Simpkin as new leaders of the club leads me to believe it'd be the best decision to make 2021 the last year of Ziebell's captaincy, the role must be in-line with the club's vision and if the time has finally come for someone to rightfully hold the mantle, I don't see the point in Ziebell holding onto it just for the sake of making amends for what has been a pretty turbulent run as captain in the broader picture of the club itself.

Keeping it on Jack to me just feels like holdovers from a bygone era.

Last edited:
JZ had to be in the photo otherwise it would cause too much rumour and angst and we don't need that on the day we are presenting our new coach.

Whether JZ remains Captain for one more year is now up to Noble and his thoughts on whether Jy and LMAC need another year out of the spotlight.

I'm thinking that the newbies are ready and the time for change is now - Jy will be 23 when the season starts and LMac 26 - that is old enough - no need to continue with JZ - time for the younger ones to create their own future.

TT is the interesting one - very young for a key leadership role but could certainly be in the broader leadership group.

Zeibel will be capt for 2021, then club will look at his future and injury worries before recontracting him.
Reckon he will hand it over to Jy for 2022

Anyway, I am for retaining JZ or passing on the batten to Tazz for 1-2 years.

I reckon we need next season to evaluate Jy & L-Mac some more.

He wants it and it suits him.

We don't need to be shuffling this stuff around when there is some much flux.

If Luke repeats his 2020 season, he's next imo.

I don't quite see it with Jy as the main man. Don't feel strongly on that and might be wrong.

It's an unpopular choice but I still feel Dumont ticks a lot of boxes for the role.

It's ridiculous,not unpopular. Dumont won't even be in the side come 2022.

He may struggle in 2021 with a decent run with injuries.

We are going to go past plodders like Trent pretty quickly.

This has cluster* written all over it. I actually think it's our biggest onfield issue leading into 2021.

JZ I think would be feeling pretty vulnerable now and I doubt would want to relinquish the security blanket of the captaincy.

It would be the best thing for the club though.

We can't be in a position where we are gifting him games in a position we literally have the most depth in at the club and at the expense of Taylor, Zurhaar or Thomas.

I can't see him being in Noble or the list management teams planning for the midfield either.

What did Noble say today regarding the list? "My biggest initial concern with the list watching them this year was the speed in the midfield..."

Yeah, nah. Look at Mitch Robinson at the Lions. One of the players who is indicative of the role of the modern winger. It's about being disciplined and smart, and imo Dumont is a more skilled, more natural footballer than Robinson will ever be. Three top 5 Syd Barker finishes in a row and there's a far better chance of it being a fourth in 2021 than him not being in the team, and we'll be better for it.

Yeah, nah. Look at Mitch Robinson at the Lions. One of the players who is indicative of the role of the modern winger. It's about being disciplined and smart, and imo Dumont is a more skilled, more natural footballer than Robinson will ever be. Three top 5 Syd Barker finishes in a row and there's a far better chance of it being a fourth in 2021 than him not being in the team, and we'll be better for it.

Robinson is QUICK - they are nothing alike.... Mitch is Savage. Does Jobs. He is their Archer.

Dumont shuffles around, misses targets, can't lockdown anyone remotely quick... sure the odd slow winger, he can keep up and negate but by and large, the best he can hope for is 50:50 - ******* yay.

Frankly we can't have Ziebell, Cunnington and Dumont in the same midfield, I'm not even sure you can have them all the ground at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Noble say today regarding the list? "My biggest initial concern with the list watching them this year was the speed in the midfield..."

The make-up of the Roos' list…

"I think it's in good shape, I really do.
We've got some good talent, we've got a good blend of youth, some good experience that's still there with the skipper (Jack Ziebell), Goldy (Todd Goldstein) and Robbie Tarrant, (Ben Cunnington) and we'll help our young guys graft off those guys........."

This has clusterfu** written all over it. I actually think it's our biggest onfield issue leading into 2021.

JZ I think would be feeling pretty vulnerable now and I doubt would want to relinquish the security blanket of the captaincy.

It would be the best thing for the club though.

We can't be in a position where we are gifting him games in a position we literally have the most depth in at the club and at the expense of Taylor, Zurhaar or Thomas.

I can't see him being in Noble or the list management teams planning for the midfield either.

What do you mean by would not want to relinquish the security blanket of the captaincy. I personally think that is a huge insult to Ziebell. He is a true Shineboner and would always put the team before himself.

I thought.
Just who happened to be at the club on this random off season day.

Simpkin, Bonar, LDU, McDonald and Xerri?

What do you mean by would not want to relinquish the security blanket of the captaincy. I personally think that is a huge insult to Ziebell. He is a true Shineboner and would always put the team before himself.
So you think he will relinquish the captaincy and make every effort to get 110% fit and get a game based on his playing merits?

I know what I was insinuating. Nobody questions Jack's endeavour on the field.

However, he's also soon to be 30. Every player eventually feels mortal on the field and I think Jack is well and truly past that. He hit that shelf life 18 months ago. It's now gone to the point I slightly pity him tbh. His desire and want to impact the contest just doesn't match his physical capabilities. It's evident in how he goes to ground nearly every time he tries to win the ball in a 50-50 situation. He's still on his hands and knee's and 5 seconds later the play and his opponent is 50m away.

A bloke that was captain at 25 whom even the most rusted on North supporters would say his 220 odd games to date probably don't adequately reflect the talent he was when he walked through the door. No B&F's, No flags, No AA guernseys.

Jack is a fairly proud guy and I think deep down inside he would understand the likelihood that his career just about ends when his captaincy ends at this point, without a huge late-career renaissance. I don't think he's ready to give that up.

It's not like it is an outrageous call. He played multiple times this year when he had absolutely no business playing. Rnd 1 a prime example, it was borderline disgraceful considering I watched a major chunk of pre-season and he was barely involved in anything other than stationary drills for 95% of it. A guy that wasn't desperately trying to get out of a rut or placed the team absolutely first would never have played on that occasion. It also wasn't the only time it happened this year.

Last edited:
No i think he will retain the captaincy and make every effort to get 100% fit and get a game based on his playing merits.

They are a conflict of interest.

What was the stat on Coniglio this year? The first captain of an AFL side to be dropped in 30 years?

It just doesn't happen and is a bad reflection on the judgement of the coaching and playing group who appointed him for the season.

I know what I was insinuating. Nobody questions Jack's endeavour on the field.

However, he's also soon to be 30. Every player eventually feels mortal on the field and I think Jack is well and truly past that. He hit that shelf life 18 months ago. It's now gone to the point I slightly pity him tbh. His desire and want to impact the contest just doesn't match his physical capabilities. It's evident in how he goes to ground nearly every time

A bloke that was captain at 25 whom even the most rusted on North supporters would say his 220 odd games to date probably don't adequately reflect the talent he was when he walked through the door. No B&F's, No flags, No AA guernseys.

Jack is a fairly proud guy and I think deep down inside he would understand the likelihood that his career just about ends when his captaincy ends at this point, without a huge turn late-career renaissance.

It's not like it is an outrageous call. He played multiple times this year when he had absolutely no business playing. Rnd 1 a prime example, it was borderline disgraceful considering I watched a major chunk of pre-season and he was barely involved in anything other than stationary drills for 95% of it.
I think there where a few players that play when they should not not just a Jack thing .Cunners just to name 1 At some stage in everyones career every player probably plays at some point when they should not. The compedative beast in them. My point is i have no doubt that jack would not put himself before the club or clubs future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back