Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Amazing ratings for an all Melbourne grand final with 2 of the less popular Melb clubs. Lockdown and prime time would help of course, but the game was all but over at the start of the last quarter so that would have lost a few too

Yeah I was surprised by the numbers simply because of who was playing. Change the matchup and you could add a million viewers.

A lot of people seem to underestimate the numbers that work during the day on a Saturday now. It's not the 1980s anymore where shops close at noon and petrol stations are on roster.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I was surprised by the numbers simply because of who was playing. Change the matchup and you could add a million viewers.

A lot of people seem to underestimate the numbers that work during the day on a Saturday now. It's not the 1980s anymore where shops close at noon and petrol stations are on roster.

Or the 1950s for the rest of the country ;)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah twilight is the way to go. Best of both worlds. Is that almost 1 million more than last year in metro areas or am i imagining things?

Only 100k odd more....though that was a shortened game time

Putting the rugby championship up against the AFL gf was a massive flop as expected but probably enough to keep the gf under 4 million.

Also, pretty sure that is the biggest without the swans in it

530 start from now on

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Would the Grand final ratings change that in Victoria much depending on which Melbourne teams are in. I would have thought the large majority of people in the AFL states would watch whatever teams.

Obviously, Sydney and Brisbane GF greatly increase the ratings. Not arguing that.

I am a traditionalist but even I see the benefits of a twilight grand final. Think that is the way the AFL should go to please TV networks and fans like me.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans

There are also millions more playing sport and shopping and just being out about as well!
Sat afternoon is a dead zone for TV ratings if it was so good why don't TV networks program their highest rating shows like The Block and the Voice at that time?
People that push the BS traditional line seem to forget tradition doesn't pay the bills but high TV ratings do and with more than 50% of the AFLs income coming from broadcast rights its important to keep the cash cow happy!
An added bonus of higher ratings is that our great game is exposed to more casual viewers that can turn into fans later on!

The only reason the NRL get decent GF ratings is because it is in Prime Time on as Sunday night.

Play it a 2.30 on a Sat afternoon and see their ratings drop in massively!

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are also millions more playing sport and shopping and just being out about as well!
Sat afternoon is a dead zone for TV ratings if it was so good why don't TV networks program their highest rating shows like The Block and the Voice at that time?
People that push the BS traditional line seem to forget tradition doesn't pay the bills but high TV ratings do and with more than 50% of the AFLs income coming from broadcast rights its important to keep the cash cow happy!
An added bonus of higher ratings is that our great game is exposed to more casual viewers that can turn into fans later on!

The only reason the NRL get decent GF ratings is because it is in Prime Time on as Sunday night.

Play it a 2.30 on a Sat afternoon and see their ratings drop in massively!

THe bottom line is, if the AFL wants to cement itself as the national game, than it needs to play the GF at a time that isn't midday in its second biggest traditional city and, particularly, isn't when people are working and playing sport in the non traditional states.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Sunday, 26 September 2021
Seven’s AFL Grand Final: #1 show of 2021
3.91m viewers nationally, 3.01m in the capital cities
Breaks audience share records in three cities

The Seven Network’s live, free and exclusive coverage of the unforgettable 2021 AFL Grand Final last night scored 3.91 million viewers nationally and 3.01 million in the capital cities, making it the #1 TV program of 2021.

On 7plus, the AFL Grand Final was watched by an additional 197,000 viewers on connected TVs and recorded 32.6 million streaming minutes, up 211% year-on-year.

In the first ever Grand Final in Perth, Melbourne’s triumph over the Western Bulldogs to end a 57-year premiership drought reached 6.34 million viewers nationally and 4.73 million in the capital cities. The average audience of 3.91 million was up 2% on last year’s huge audience and up 33% on the 2019 Grand Final.

Seven’s 2021 AFL Grand Final delivered biggest Grand Final audience since 2016 and the fifth biggest ever.

In only the second time a Grand Final has been held outside of Victoria, Melbourne recorded a Grand Final audience of 1.64 million viewers, up 3% on 2020.

The thrilling match dominated its timeslot with a 77% share of viewers during the game, and an 80% share of 25 to 54s.

Seven recorded an overall prime time commercial network share of 73.5% on Saturday and a 75.9% share in 25 to 54s.

The highest ever prime time commercial shares for any network in OzTAM history were recorded across several capital cities, including Melbourne with an 88.9% commercial share, Adelaide (77.3%) and Perth (76.9%).

Managing Director Seven Melbourne and Head of Network Sport, Lewis Martin, said: “The historic 2021 AFL Grand Final lived up to the hype and delivered extraordinary audiences on Seven. The AFL is a vital part of Seven’s unrivalled sporting content and once again Australia’s #1 winter sport has gripped the nation with another unmissable premiership decider.

“Seven’s prime time coverage, underpinned by our expert commentary and insights, ensured more fans across Australia could enjoy the exciting Grand Final action, live and free. A huge thanks to the fans, players, clubs, AFL and the entire team across Seven Network for making 2021 so memorable despite another year of uncertainty. It highlights once again how our shared love of Australian football continues to bring the nation together.”

Seven’s AFL Grand Final
  • AFL Grand Final: Melbourne v Western Bulldogs 3.91 viewers nationally, 3.01 in the capital cities. Reached 6.34 million nationally
  • AFL Grand Final: Presentations: 3.51 million viewers nationally, 2.67 million in the capital cities.
  • AFL Grand Final: On The Ground: 2.98 million viewers nationally, 2.27 million in the capital cities.
  • AFL Grand Final: Pre-Match entertainment: 1.99 million viewers nationally, 1.46 million in the capital cities.
  • AFL Grand Final: Post Match: 1.62 million viewers nationally, 1.28 million in the capital cities.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
fetchgranny.jpg

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
its well down on the 7.5m who were reached last year.

Market share slightly down as well.

As you know these are only rough estimates as they cannot count how many people are actually (like more than two in a house say) watching so there could have been many more!Even Foxtel with their set top boxes cannot say exactly how many are watching at a given point!

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
From the Age "
Incredibly, 900,000 regional viewers watched Saturday night’s grand final, smashing all three State of Origin matches televised this year, where regional NSW and Queensland have a large number of rugby league followers."

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
I think the framing of a night grand final as 'tradition versus money' over the last decade has done the discussion a disservice. While I personally much prefer the atmosphere of a day grand final and the associated BBQ lunch, I have enjoyed that from a privileged position of not having to work retail or hospitality on a Saturday.

The AFL Grand Final is, IMO, not just a sporting event, but a cultural event. It should be experienced by as many people as possible, and the simple fact is that more people can experience it on Saturday night than on Saturday afternoon.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I think the framing of a night grand final as 'tradition versus money' over the last decade has done the discussion a disservice. While I personally much prefer the atmosphere of a day grand final and the associated BBQ lunch, I have enjoyed that from a privileged position of not having to work retail or hospitality on a Saturday.

The AFL Grand Final is, IMO, not just a sporting event, but a cultural event. It should be experienced by as many people as possible, and the simple fact is that more people can experience it on Saturday night than on Saturday afternoon.
probably not the right thread for this.

But think a 5:30 start time would be just perfect. Several people in the household I watched it at went to bed before the end. If you start at 5:30, the game would be finishing in primetime at around 8:30. Would also allow people to celebrate afterwards and still have the after match concert and all the other festivities which happen in Melbourne on Grand Final day. It is also a good backdrop with the change from day to night during the match and for the people who care about the Half time act; it would still give the spectacular showcase.

Plus, half time BBQ tea. pregame kicks. I am a fan.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
probably not the right thread for this.

But think a 5:30 start time would be just perfect. Several people in the household I watched it at went to bed before the end. If you start at 5:30, the game would be finishing in primetime at around 8:30. Would also allow people to celebrate afterwards and still have the after match concert and all the other festivities which happen in Melbourne on Grand Final day. It is also a good backdrop with the change from day to night during the match and for the people who care about the Half time act; it would still give the spectacular showcase.

Plus, half time BBQ tea. pregame kicks. I am a fan.
Think 4.30pm but yea think it's heading that way.

Was surprised they didn't trial 2.30pm perth time, which is 4.30pm melbourne time to see how audiences reacted to it.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
4.40pm start time. Means the pre game stuff starts before 4 allowing for a late lunch/bbq and the game finishes around 8pm to allow the pubs and clubs to celebrate after. Plus the kids to see the full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back