Resource 2021 Financials Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Its coming up soon, so time for a new thread.

Most clubs will report between mid november and the end of the year. AFL reports will come out some time in March.

As always Im grateful to everyone here on Bigfooty and on my twitter feed who has had meaningful contributions in these threads over the last few years. Folks like RussellEbertHandball, Prince Imperial, dave10, Rob have been invaluable with their input over the years, others have assisted with obtaining annual reports in the early years, and still others have assisted with constructive criticism and great questions, particularly Kwality lol

This has always been a colloborative effort. If you see something that is incorrect, please let me know so I can fix it.

Previous Years threads:
Last years Annual Reports
Older Reports and associated Documents Post here.

Trackers

2021 Reports Table

2020 Reports Table

2019 Reports Table

Last edited:
With all the Victorian clubs having reported their result (or in the Demons' case having given their forecast), it's fair to say that they collectively have had a fantastic year on the finance front particularly given that the state was the worst affected by Covid and restrictions.

None of the non-Vic clubs have yet reported, but you'd have to think there would be results just as good and even better and my guess is that the Lions are going to have a bumper outcome.

These results certainly vindicate the League's decision to continue to have dramatically reduced football department expenditure and they certainly do the Tasmanians' case no harm.

Question. Why doesCarlton get around $3.0M more than Essendon and Hawthirn in AFL distributions? Carlton are an unassisted club so it makes no sense to me.

Some key takeouts from financial results to date:

- Most clubs reporting strong operating profits built on lower cost bases (soft cap reduced) and return of some crowds and match-day revenue

- Total ‘statutory’ profits have grown substantially and built on government grants and donations for facility upgrades

- As club facility upgrades move to completion, cash on hand will revert to ‘property, plant & equipment’ which is now starting to give rise to large amortisation and depreciation charges

- Cash surpluses across the clubs underlying much improved operating performances and underlying improved balance sheet positions.

- Club total equity and cash reserves have grown substantially. Note however these cash reserves will be committed to capital expenditure once facility expansions occur.

- Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon (Windy Hill), Western Bulldogs and Collingwood all to commence new major facility upgrades over next 12-24 months.

Question. Why does Carlton get around $3.0M more than Essendon and Hawthorn in AFL distributions? Carlton are an unassisted club so it makes no sense to me.

Wookie is right about the AFLW - for comparison North state in their report that they received $883K for this.

There are two other strong possibilities in my assessment:

1. Clubs in their financial statements categorize income differently. The Blues may well be including signage rights from Marvel in their AFL income whilst Essendon include this under marketing income and Hawthorn just don't get this revenue source. By way of comparison, North and the Saints specify these amounts ($922k and $1317k respectively) as AFL income in their statements but my club does not and it seems to be included under the commercial category.

2. The AFL is providing more disequal funding to Carlton because their stadium deal at Marvel is worse than Essendon and worse than what MCG clubs get. It was reported that Essendon got a cracker of long term deal when the stadium commenced and whilst the AFL improved deals for tenant clubs in 2018 there still might be a significant gap. The last time the AFL reported disequal funding amounts in its annual report was for 2018 and they were giving Carlton $1.2m and $1.7m more than Essendon and Hawthorn respectively.

Wookie is right about the AFLW - for comparison North state in their report that they received $883K for this.

There are two other strong possibilities in my assessment:

1. Clubs in their financial statements categorize income differently. The Blues may well be including signage rights from Marvel in their AFL income whilst Essendon include this under marketing income and Hawthorn just don't get this revenue source. By way of comparison, North and the Saints specify these amounts ($922k and $1317k respectively) as AFL income in their statements but my club does not and it seems to be included under the commercial category.

It also includes things like AFL and MCC club support membership funds - we dont get breakdowns of this anymore.

2. The AFL is providing more disequal funding to Carlton because their stadium deal at Marvel is worse than Essendon and worse than what MCG clubs get. It was reported that Essendon got a cracker of long term deal when the stadium commenced and whilst the AFL improved deals for tenant clubs in 2018 there still might be a significant gap. The last time the AFL reported disequal funding amounts in its annual report was for 2018 and they were giving Carlton $1.2m and $1.7m more than Essendon and Hawthorn respectively.

Included are the following other distributions to the clubs throughout the season, including, but not limited to, AFLW, travel subsidies, prizemoney, AFL membership-related distributions, AFL commercial partner payments, AFL-facilitated stadium payments and licensing distributions.

I'm surprised the other Victorian clubs and fans are not pissed off at the extra $20 million a year St Kilda has been getting from the AFL for the past few years (other Melbourne clubs get a lot less)
This is to a badly managed St Kilda Football Club that is STILL $12 million in debt even with the massive AFL handouts and this extra money has allowed them to recruit some very handy players that could have gone to other clubs!
If St Kilda were run as a normal business they would have been wound up decades ago!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised the other Victorian clubs and fans are not pissed off at the extra $20 million a year St Kilda has been getting from the AFL for the past few years (other Melbourne clubs get a lot less)
This is to a badly managed St Kilda Football Club that is STILL $12 million in debt even with the massive AFL handouts and this extra money has allowed them to recruit some very handy players that could have gone to other clubs!
If St Kilda were run as a normal business they would have been wound up decades ago!

It would be nice of the AFL to be transparent with the games many fans, spending their own dollars that makes the game the financial powerhouse that it is.

Great to see clubs debt free, but is there a carrot for staying that way?

As for the Saints, are there are still players owed money from an earlier episode in club history (1970s) that has been deleted from searching eyes & Mr Google.

Fair few exaggerations in there but don't let facts get in the way of a good story. The distributions have been at most $10m per year more than the least subsidised clubs, and significant chunks will continue to be taken out of the debt following the $4m this year.

Assets wise the club has rarely been in a better position with Moorabbin now being a fantastic facility and only continuing to improve.

Yes the club has been poorly run over much of its history (anything pre-1990 not really relevant here) but a number of significant steps in the right direction have been taken in the last 3-4 years.

Sydney Swans had a Statutory Net Profit of $54,598

- Operating Profit of $2,308,667 prior to the inclusion of $2,254,069 of expenses relating to our development at the Royal Hall of Industries.
- Able to repay the loan incurred to the AFL during 2020 before 31/10/2021 and are debt free
- Operating Revenue increased year on year by 39% to $42.5million
- Sponsorship and Hospitality revenue of $15.2m (up from $10.8m in 2020)

Last edited:
Sydney Swans had a Statutory Net Profit of $54,598

- Operating Profit of $2,308,667 prior to the inclusion of $2,254,069 of expenses relating to our development at the Royal Hall of Industries.
- Able to repay the loan incurred to the AFL during 2020 before 31/10/2021 and are debt free
- Operating Revenue increased year on year by 39% to $42.5million
- Sponsorship and Hospitality revenue of $15.2m (up from $10.8m in 2020)

:thumbsu:
Had to google the development at the Royal Hall of Industries, so to save others:

Last edited:
It would be nice of the AFL to be transparent with the games many fans, spending their own dollars that makes the game the financial powerhouse that it is.

Great to see clubs debt free, but is there a carrot for staying that way?

As for the Saints, are there are still players owed money from an earlier episode in club history (1970s) that has been deleted from searching eyes & Mr Google.
I know a lot of players had to pay their own tax that St Kilda did not pay on their behalf inc Alan Jeans and Rex Hunt two that were mentioned at the time!
They are by far the worst performing on the field (26 wooden spoons 1 premiership) and badly financially managed of any club in VFL/AFL history

'Kennett also answered a question about poker machines, and said the club remained committed to getting out of them “at a time that advantages the club.”

He said the club had to think about the “financial implications” to the club and to find replacement streams of income.'

'Kennett also answered a question about poker machines, and said the club remained committed to getting out of them “at a time that advantages the club.”

He said the club had to think about the “financial implications” to the club and to find replacement streams of income.'

So basically they're going to keep making money operating the poker machines until there comes a time when they can make more money by selling the poker machines.

How noble of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back