News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to the podcast.
Couple of points
Simple ethos - trade for needs, draft for talent.

NWM too good to pass up

Confirmed what we all know about the draft pick strategy hoping to get the NGA's after pick 20.

Wanted a ruckman (can't remember his name) but knew he wouldn't be there in the second so used it last year and picked up heath in the mid season.

The last point is interesting. have been tracking the NGA's for a couple of years, knew at trade time last year that the second rounder could be used on Higgins, we then went for heath in the MSD, wouldn't live trade with Richmond 11 for 17 & 28 as we wouldn't have got who we wanted @ 17 and 28 would have been chewed up by an early big on Mitch.

Long term thinking netted us from this draft picks, Higgins, NWM, Owens, Windhager, trade a 4th to downgrade to get Adams (whom that had been tracking for a couple of years), then Peris (ran a 10.9 @ age 15, Nova reckons he could run a 10.5 now, RL background holds the record for his school in RL for most tackles in a game (26)) and Kyle another indigenous lad.

A pretty good haul from an average hand to play.

That sounds way better than "Hey guys i found this guy with the same name as Nick Winmar....our sucker supporters will like that "

Couple of points

NWM too good to pass up

Confirmed what we all know about the draft pick strategy hoping to get the NGA's after pick 20.

Wanted a ruckman (can't remember his name) but knew he wouldn't be there in the second so used it last year and picked up heath in the mid season.

The last point is interesting. have been tracking the NGA's for a couple of years, knew at trade time last year that the second rounder could be used on Higgins, we then went for heath in the MSD, wouldn't live trade with Richmond 11 for 17 & 28 as we wouldn't have got who we wanted @ 17 and 28 would have been chewed up by an early big on Mitch.

Long term thinking netted us from this draft picks, Higgins, NWM, Owens, Windhager, trade a 4th to downgrade to get Adams (whom that had been tracking for a couple of years), then Peris (ran a 10.9 @ age 15, Nova reckons he could run a 10.5 now, RL background holds the record for his school in RL for most tackles in a game (26)) and Kyle another indigenous lad.

See the thing you picked up on, and some others too to their credit, is that this list management team is in a different league in comparison to their predecessors. And I’d add, 99% of us here.
They’re playing chess while the rest of us are playing draughts.
Strategic, patient, long term thinkers with just a light entrepreneurial touch to spice things up.
I posed the general question of when did a team last hit all its targets in the one draft, I got no idea but I reckon we might have just scored a clean sheet.
Even allowing for the attempt to trade up to bid on Gibcus. That was more a Hail Mary than anything.
So….
Did you have fun last weekend looking at football club financial reports?
Or did you do something much more fulfilling?

See the thing you picked up on, and some others too to their credit, is that this list management team is in a different league in comparison to their predecessors. And I’d add, 99% of us here.
They’re playing chess while the rest of us are playing draughts.
Strategic, patient, long term thinkers with just a light entrepreneurial touch to spice things up.
I posed the general question of when did a team last hit all its targets in the one draft, I got no idea but I reckon we might have just scored a clean sheet.
Even allowing for the attempt to trade up to bid on Gibcus. That was more a Hail Mary than anything.
So….
Did you have fun last weekend looking at football club financial reports?
Or did you do something much more fulfilling?
However, previous to this, I am unsure if we got such expansive coverage on the strategy.

However, previous to this, I am unsure if we got such expansive coverage on the strategy.
I can remember interviews with Trout post draft and trade periods.
Just operated on a completely different plain compared to these guys.
Once Libba was interviewed and asked what he admired most about Trout.
The answer was he admired him for his work ethic.
I remember thinking what a backhanded compliment that was.
He rated how hard he worked higher than his football or player knowledge.
Said a lot by not saying much.
Of course back in those days I thought the sun shone out of Trouts backside.
How naive and gullible was I?

Couple of points

NWM too good to pass up

You've gotta look at what they've had to work with the last 3 years and seriously impressed.
I understand it's all potential but let's just look at it for one moment.
Byrnes
Connolly
Allison
Highmore
Sharman
Heath
NWM
Owens
Windy
Adams
Peris
Kyle

Again it's too early but there's a butt load of talent there for very little. 5 already demonstrated AFL quality.

Last edited:
Saints to host the Pies Friday night round one. Very happy about that.

But I'm most happy that I won't have to watch Tigers vs Blues first up, as the worst "tradition" in AFL. GF rematch Wed night hopefully becomes the new norm.
Absolutely agree, when they announced the whole Vic extravaganza idea I was bracing for a Sunday twilight Saints-North opener. Much better result!

You've gotta look at what they've had to work with the last 3 years and seriously impressed.
I understand it's all potential but let's just look at it for one moment.
Byrnes
Connolly
Allison
Highmore
Sharman
Heath
NWM
Owens
Windy
Owen
Peris
Kyle

Again it's too early but there's a butt load of talent there for very little. 5 already demonstrated AFL quality.
Agree. Still trying to figure out how we snagged a "ready to go" Sharman.

Agree. Still trying to figure out how we snagged a "ready to go" Sharman.
because we lucked into it, Sharman was never seen as ready to go, dare say it but if we hadn't had so many injuries he may be another Jack Mayo.

because we lucked into it, Sharman was never seen as ready to go, dare say it but if we hadn't had so many injuries he may be another Jack Mayo.
Turn out he was as ready to go as Jamarra Ugle-Hagan! Who would have thought?!

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, and it probably deserves its own thread, but the Saints won the VBFL premiership (the blind football league). I’m happy to claim any cup won by a team under the Saints name.
Congrats to everyone involved.

Officially Premiers: AFL Blind Saints claim maiden VBFL Premiership
St Kilda’s AFL Blind side has secured its maiden Premiership at today’s Energy Safe Victorian Blind Football League Grand Final.
PRESENTED BY

Pepper Money

By Chris Nice - 4 hrs ago
VBFLA2.jpg

St Kilda’s AFL Blind side has secured its maiden Premiership at today’s Energy Safe Victorian Blind Football League Grand Final.
The Saints were the dominant force for the entirety of proceedings, racing away to a 64-point win in the 17.33 (135) to 11.5 (71) result at Action Indoor Sports Centre, Tullamarine.
Skipper Shannon Jones’ side hit a 74-point lead at three-quarter time, with a series a 12-point Bulldogs goals in the final term – courtesy of the competition’s mercy rule – trimming down the final margin.
TOGETHER WE RISE: BECOME A 2022 MEMBER TODAY

Young midfielder Oscar Stubbs was a standout for the Premiers and was awarded the 2021 Best & Fairest award off the back of his strong campaign.
The Saints went undefeated throughout the fast-tracked season – closing out the year with 11 consecutive wins – which resumed in mid-November after COVID-19 interruptions brought the competition to a halt.
The dominant patch comes after the Saints finished the condensed 2020 VBFL Season without a win to their name.
St Kilda’s AFL Blind team now joins the club’s AFL Wheelchair side in securing Premiership honours, with the latter claiming their inaugural flag in December 2020.
More to come.
ST KILDA 5.13 9.24 13.31 17.33 (135)
BULLDOGS 1.5 5.5 7.5 11.5 (71)
St Kilda AFL Blind 2021 Premiers
Shannon Jones (C)
Ingrid McKenna
Travis Zimmer
Lachlan Kosic
Oscar Stubbs
Peter Robinson
Peter Hyczka
Kadek Artayana
Absent:
Matt Horsey (injured)
Lawrence Raja

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be wrapped if he can make a go of it

Former top-10 draft pick Nathan Freeman has been given a chance to find his way onto a third AFL list and is hoping to finally showcase his talent at the top level.

Freeman, 26, will train with Gold Coast over the summer with the potential to be added to the club’s list via the pre-season supplemental selection period.

Would be wrapped if he can make a go of it

Former top-10 draft pick Nathan Freeman has been given a chance to find his way onto a third AFL list and is hoping to finally showcase his talent at the top level.

Freeman, 26, will train with Gold Coast over the summer with the potential to be added to the club’s list via the pre-season supplemental selection period.

The GC board is quite bullish on him.

I think the club might be looking for someone to fill in for Rowell if he breaks down again, especially now that Greenwood has gone.

The GC board is quite bullish on him.

I think the club might be looking for someone to fill in for Rowell if he breaks down again, especially now that Greenwood has gone.
If Freeman gets a guernsey before him, I would really feel for Constable if he was stuck in the two's again! At Gold Coast of all places...

I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, and it probably deserves its own thread, but the Saints won the VBFL premiership (the blind football league). I’m happy to claim any cup won by a team under the Saints name.
Congrats to everyone involved.

Officially Premiers: AFL Blind Saints claim maiden VBFL Premiership
PRESENTED BY

Pepper Money

By Chris Nice - 4 hrs ago
VBFLA2.jpg

The Saints were the dominant force for the entirety of proceedings, racing away to a 64-point win in the 17.33 (135) to 11.5 (71) result at Action Indoor Sports Centre, Tullamarine.
Skipper Shannon Jones’ side hit a 74-point lead at three-quarter time, with a series a 12-point Bulldogs goals in the final term – courtesy of the competition’s mercy rule – trimming down the final margin.
TOGETHER WE RISE: BECOME A 2022 MEMBER TODAY

Young midfielder Oscar Stubbs was a standout for the Premiers and was awarded the 2021 Best & Fairest award off the back of his strong campaign.
The Saints went undefeated throughout the fast-tracked season – closing out the year with 11 consecutive wins – which resumed in mid-November after COVID-19 interruptions brought the competition to a halt.
The dominant patch comes after the Saints finished the condensed 2020 VBFL Season without a win to their name.
St Kilda’s AFL Blind team now joins the club’s AFL Wheelchair side in securing Premiership honours, with the latter claiming their inaugural flag in December 2020.
More to come.
ST KILDA 5.13 9.24 13.31 17.33 (135)
BULLDOGS 1.5 5.5 7.5 11.5 (71)
St Kilda AFL Blind 2021 Premiers
Shannon Jones (C)
Ingrid McKenna
Travis Zimmer
Lachlan Kosic
Oscar Stubbs
Peter Robinson
Peter Hyczka
Kadek Artayana
Absent:
Matt Horsey (injured)
Lawrence Raja

I watched the game! It was really interesting to see how the VBFL works, and I kept on found myself yelling out ‘go saints!’ unexpectedly - great viewing. Always nice to beat the doggies as well - cheers for posting (I also assumed someone already had).

I watched the game! It was really interesting to see how the VBFL works, and I kept on found myself yelling out ‘go saints!’ unexpectedly - great viewing. Always nice to beat the doggies as well - cheers for posting (I also assumed someone already had).

My Boss used to umpire cricket games for the blind.
Some of the guys were completely blind, where others could sort of see a bit.
They had a rattly ball, and they had to bowl underarm in a way that it bounced towards the batsman.

Apparently was a lot of fun, and no-one took it too seriously. For example , the bowler probably actually wanted the batsman to connect.

My Boss used to umpire cricket games for the blind.
Some of the guys were completely blind, where others could sort of see a bit.
They had a rattly ball, and they had to bowl underarm in a way that it bounced towards the batsman.

Apparently was a lot of fun, and no-one took it too seriously. For example , the bowler probably actually wanted the batsman to connect.

Yeah, I subbed for the local blind team when younger in training instances as they used the local ground behind me. Best sweepers in Aus and at least that ball was black, about 3x the size with I think like 4 bells inside and if you got hit on one of those sweeps it goddamn killed so you kept well back and just didn't treat anything as "proper" cricket and more just an event to allow everyone to partake regardless.

We were generally allowed to bounce it, but not in any extravagant fashion so long as it rolled by 1/2-3/4" way just to "simulate" the ball sounds and the way it can move directionally to audio instances. So think like a slinky before then rolling, but never in a "gameday" situation.

I can remember interviews with Trout post draft and trade periods.
Just operated on a completely different plain compared to these guys.
Once Libba was interviewed and asked what he admired most about Trout.
The answer was he admired him for his work ethic.
I remember thinking what a backhanded compliment that was.
He rated how hard he worked higher than his football or player knowledge.
Said a lot by not saying much.
Of course back in those days I thought the sun shone out of Trouts backside.
How naive and gullible was I?

We just have to hope that Libba has the talent identification part down pat now. He hasn't had much to work with and so far King is his only really top line player which wasn't his first choice. He's definitely hit above average with late picks. Paton and Byrnes both best 22 or close to it and Sharman was an absolute lottery win. Coffield and Clark still on the borderline and coming into the right age to start to take off.

My kid started at the NGA academy and Trout came to present to them about drafting. I was outside watching them train and standing near him and he was on the phone constantly. He certainly looked flat out.

We just have to hope that Libba has the talent identification part down pat now. He hasn't had much to work with and so far King is his only really top line player which wasn't his first choice. He's definitely hit above average with late picks. Paton and Byrnes both best 22 or close to it and Sharman was an absolute lottery win. Coffield and Clark still on the borderline and coming into the right age to start to take off.

My kid started at the NGA academy and Trout came to present to them about drafting. I was outside watching them train and standing near him and he was on the phone constantly. He certainly looked flat out.
My fingers are crossed.
It’d be great to do a 2018 Port as it would set the Club up for years.

My fingers are crossed.
It’d be great to do a 2018 Port as it would set the Club up for years.

It's amazing how many sides nailed a couple of drafts and saw a steep rise. Hawks really built over a couple of years with Buddy, Roughy and Jordan Lewis in one draft with Clinton Young off the rookie list that year and Mitchell and Hodge in 2001 with Campbell Brown as well. Crapped up quite a few around that time as well. Collingwood similarly build up off the back of a few solid drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back