News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, its like every choice is in isolation and has no consequences.

We have Max King, we will get Ben King, because we have Max King.

This is before we look at anything they can do on the field for us.

If Naughton is Carey ( which he is not or wont be) then Max is Plugger, Dunstall and Hudson all rolled into one. Bing is only as good as Buddy and Riewoldt unfortunately.
Yep coffield at the Dogs vs Naughton at St kilda in their development system would completely change the form of the players. Similarly we take Petracca we may not get Steele. Constantly making sliding doors analysis is so problematic. Never takes into account development, luck, injuries etc etc.

The fact is every analysis of the draft that says we took this player instead of somebody else. I get it but they never acknowledge ok fine Coff not Naughton but every other team passed on Paton and Wilkie and Highmore, Marshall, Sinclair , Byrnes and Leo. So it works both well.

If Naughton was the next Carey then I guess that makes Max the next John Coleman after Friday night :)

Not sure I agree with that take on Coff, second half of last year he was outstanding, almost AA level good.

He had a couple of early games where he did what Max did and tore games apart. Sitting on shoulders and kicking everything that came near him. Max is getting that hype now too. If he does it a couple of more times he will get comparisons to greats. That's how it works.

Coffield had a great 2020 but he has gone backwards to the point of finding it hard to hold down a spot. Highmore looks way out in front and if we are looking for KPB I'd say he's almost done at the Saints, he's probably on the trade table next year unless he does a Dunstan.

I'm really happy with Coffield think he will be a very good player
But my god Richo was nothing but a disaster for Stkilda, he alone set the club back years
Last year on form it looked as if we made the right call taking Coff but this year it looks diabolical. I still hold out hope for Coff. We just need to find his best spot but the onus is on him now to become a good player. I think the coach staff will have a pretty deep heart to heart with him at the end of the year and ask him who he wants to be as a footballer. May be the kick up the arse he needs

He had a couple of early games where he did what Max did and tore games apart. Sitting on shoulders and kicking everything that came near him. Max is getting that hype now too. If he does it a couple of more times he will get comparisons to greats. That's how it works.

Coffield had a great 2020 but he has gone backwards to the point of finding it hard to hold down a spot. Highmore looks way out in front and if we are looking for KPB I'd say he's almost done at the Saints, he's probably on the trade table next year unless he does a Dunstan.

No way in the world can you write a kid off at 21 , Pettracca looked bog average at 21 , Parish looked like a spud at last year at 23yrs of age.
Coffield will be one of our best players whether it is playing as a halfback , Wing or midfield I don't know but he is one of the most talented players in the side and because he has gone off the boil you don't flog him off - the kid ● Ranked 4th in Marks Per Game in 2020
We kept guys on our list like Dunstan who is slow and can't kick , so I think Coffield is more than safe considering he has scope to be better than Del Santo.
I also rate him higher than Hunter Clark so lets see what happens in a couple years before writing players off.

Most of our young draft guys still have not fully developed body wise and this is why we have to be patient because Hunter Clark and Coffield fit into the category - Gresham only just started to get his acted together in the midfield before he got injured so it has basically taken him until he is 24 to get the endurance to perform as a midfielder and still then he has not cemented his spot in there yet.

Have faith.

Doesn't seem to be a player that is very adaptable and his intercept marking is his thing. Highmore is Coffield last year but probably already looking better. If we get Pats back we have Clark (maybe mid), Webster, Wilkie, Howard, Hill, Allison, Sinclair, Connolly, Maybe Clav and Joyce plus Gibcus and Battle, Long, Mc Kenzie, Geary etc all may need a spot in the back 6. Coffield need to reinvent himself as a mid and over take a bunch of first picked guys or leap frog guys like Highmore playing his role and do it better or hope that Highmore drops off. To me he's going to have to have to turn it around pretty quickly because under Lethlean we don't seem to get sentimental.

No way in the world can you write a kid off at 21 , Pettracca looked bog average at 21 , Parish looked like a spud at last year at 23yrs of age.
Coffield will be one of our best players whether it is playing as a halfback , Wing or midfield I don't know but he is one of the most talented players in the side and because he has gone off the boil you don't flog him off - the kid ● Ranked 4th in Marks Per Game in 2020
We kept guys on our list like Dunstan who is slow and can't kick , so I think Coffield is more than safe considering he has scope to be better than Del Santo.
I also rate him higher than Hunter Clark so lets see what happens in a couple years before writing players off.

Most of our young draft guys still have not fully developed body wise and this is why we have to be patient because Hunter Clark and Coffield fit into the category - Gresham only just started to get his acted together in the midfield before he got injured so it has basically taken him until he is 24 to get the endurance to perform as a midfielder and still then he has not cemented his spot in there yet.

Have faith.

Not writing him off, just think he's now set himself back a long way and is going to have to make a up a heap of ground. Highmore is playing his role as well as he did if not better. He has to leap frog him or Wilkie. We have a lot of defenders.

Doesn't seem to be a player that is very adaptable and his intercept marking is his thing. Highmore is Coffield last year but probably already looking better. If we get Pats back we have Clark (maybe mid), Webster, Wilkie, Howard, Hill, Allison, Sinclair, Connolly, Maybe Clav and Joyce plus Gibcus and Battle, Long, Mc Kenzie, Geary etc all may need a spot in the back 6. Coffield need to reinvent himself as a mid and over take a bunch of first picked guys or leap frog guys like Highmore playing his role and do it better or hope that Highmore drops off. To me he's going to have to have to turn it around pretty quickly because under Lethlean we don't seem to get sentimental.
It makes for an awkward situation when a lot of players and their depth fall/rise to equal levels. Hard to decide which player is “depth” and which deserves to be in the team.

Coffield , Hunter Clark basically were put at halfback to get them into the game , same as what they have done to Hill atm and it's good Lethlean is not sentimental because we will have a few of the guys that should of be moved on this year Geary , Lonie.

Unless we get a great offer for Coffield I wouldn't be trading him, he hasn't had a great year but he's shown he has the potential to be a great player and leader for us, I thought he was one of our best players against West Coast that helped keep us in it when they were all over us in the 2nd quarter.

I think he has the talent to play other roles than just the intercept defender role that Highmore has nailed down this year so it doesn't have to be a case of picking one or the other, they could end up both playing in the same team and even if they don't having one of them for depth isn't a bad thing.

It makes for an awkward situation when a lot of players and their depth fall/rise to equal levels. Hard to decide which player is “depth” and which deserves to be in the team.
We basically have our backline in place except for a true CHB - could it be Battle I do not know.

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Highmore - XXXX - Sinclair
Hill - Steele - Billings
Higgins - Battle - Butler
Gresham - King - Membery

Marshall - Crouch - Jones

Coffield / Clark / Byrne / Connolly / Bytel

Hunter Clark I feel will mainly be used as a mid next year
Coffield will either play at half back or rotate off a wing

I fully expect Dunstan is gone and Ross will be lucky to keep his place in the side.
Ryder will naturally be in the team next year but we need to pick up a ruck - Pittonett from Carlton would do , has no contract.

Yeah the HAWKS will love a player like COFFIELD they will turn him into a weapon! I can just see him in poo brown and urinal yellow!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Naughton was the next Carey then I guess that makes Max the next John Coleman after Friday night :)

Not sure I agree with that take on Coff, second half of last year he was outstanding, almost AA level good.

Fallen off a cliff and has found a very shaky ledge half way down. He looks trapped, and personally I'm not convinced he wants to be there. Very disappointing year. The end of the season can't come quick enough for him.

Seriously? That’s rubbish.
His year was not as great as last year
(where he showed plenty). He’s battled some injury and just as he was looking good again he got injured again.
But on the trade table? He’s pick number 8 who is 21 years old. You must be kidding?

Its a 'beautiful anxiety', when the list improves and each element improves... but not all to the same degree in exactly the same time frame!

Coffield , Hunter Clark basically were put at halfback to get them into the game , same as what they have done to Hill atm and it's good Lethlean is not sentimental because we will have a few of the guys that should of be moved on this year Geary , Lonie.
Surely not COFFIELD though!

Coff has all the tools. He'll get there.

If taking naughton meant we passed on Max King then I’m happy with Coffield.
What those articles often skip was Naughton was regarded as the best key back in the draft. We take him - do we get Doogs?

I see (less angry) Goddard in Coff so I'm fine with the pick.

I don't know whether he looks and sounds a bit like Ross Lyon did as a player but I have a lot of faith not only that Coffield will work out long term, but that he'll be a strong club leader, maybe even captain.

He's an immature kid right now in an inconsistent flaky team with little leadership. When/if he figures out what he wants to be and realises that he, along with other young guys around him, could grab this club and march it towards glory, you'll see a very different Nick Coffield. One that will be much more valuable to us than a KPP who is second banana to Max King. I am confident he'll drive standards at our club as a senior player and won't take any rubbish. He just has to grow up first.

Nick's a slow burn though, be patient. Today, the news is about Isak Rankine being dropped after underwhelming form. Development isn't linear.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back