Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks got Gippsland players this year - so they could potentially get Busch, Duursma, Williamson.
McRae did but she was top-age.
Matser played at Casey as have most in the past. They have a crossover at Pakenham for zones with Eastern which would make it interesting though.

Last edited:
McRae did but she was top-age.
Matser played at Casey as have most in the past. They have a crossover at Pakenham for zones with Eastern which would make it interesting though.
I had thought Hawthorn had another Power on their development list, but, upon checking, it was actually Jess Guy-Toogood rather than Alexei.

Hawthorn have certainly claimed a relationship, though:
We've got partnerships with the Eastern Ranges and Gippsland Power as well as the Eastern Footy League.

Jets are Bulldogs responsibility

Okay.

So would that mean this:?

Geelong: Obvious.
Footscray: Jets.
Essendon: Cannons.
Kangas: Tassie.
Carlton and Richmond: Knights.
Collingwood: Chargers.
St Kilda or Melbourne: Stingrays.
Hawthorn: Ranges and Power.

Richmond: Rebels.

Okay.

So would that mean this:?

Geelong: Obvious.
Footscray: Jets.
Essendon: Cannons.
Kangas: Tassie.
Carlton and Richmond: Knights.
Collingwood: Chargers.
St Kilda or Melbourne: Stingrays.
Hawthorn: Ranges and Power.

Richmond: Rebels.
Dogs: Jets and Rebels
Tigers: Bushrangers
Carlton: Knights
St Kilda: Sandringham + Frankston LGA Stingrays
Dees: Stingrays

I can see with Essendon their midfield will be elite from day dot, but I wonder if focusing so much on that, what they will do around the ground. Might be a bit raw in those areas.
If they get who you envision, will it actually be an elite midfield, or a midfield of elite players with similar qualities and experience and very little balance. 2019 Bulldogs are suddenly coming to mind, for some reason.

What if Essendon's two best goal-kickers end up being--to pick two totally random names--Danielle Ponter and Sophie Abbatangelo. That probably ought to lead down the path of playing a Fremantle fast-paced style, at which point I question how much resources need to be concentrated on acquiring young prolific contested ball-winners.

I had thought Hawthorn had another Power on their development list, but, upon checking, it was actually Jess Guy-Toogood rather than Alexei.

Hawthorn have certainly claimed a relationship, though:
Yeah they will have the Pakenham end players most likely. Matser being a Korumburra player will be zoned to Casey (like she was today). So will come down to where they come from IMO. Like the Stingrays.

Of course at the end of the day players can opt to go to any VFLW club if they and the club agree. Often it will suit those minutes and role more than anything else. Matser for example would struggle for game time behind Tamara Luke, but the ability for Casey to have more flexible rucks enabled her to play there (just one example but location the main thing).

Just a question regarding Port Adelaide's means of recruiting.

What SANFLW clubs can they pick from?

Which SANFLM clubs were the Port Adelaide men's side picking from early on in the piece?
While the rules haven’t been confirmed, I assume it will be open slather. They can’t really reduce it when both teams are located in similar places (and not covering as much ground as the Academy sides). I presume they will announce any rules over the coming months though. Both sides have Academy’s, but they won’t link them to that, as the majority of Port’s best are the year after they come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Separate question.

When will we see the first signings filing through?
Considering Erin Phillips could be the first signing for Port (and most signings will be from other clubs) you presume post-season. Remember Kearney being the first expansion signing? That was just after the post-season awards.

AFLW U17 NT CHAMPIONSHIPS:

Last night the first of the next batch of Under 17 Championships clashes took part in Alice Springs with the best future talent of the NT on show. There was only six draft-eligible players for the sides in the game, and my top two players I was hoping to watch were J'Noemi Anderson (2022 AFLW Draft) and Annabel Kievit (2023 AFLW Draft) are both with the Suns playing on Sunday. The other player I came in with some promise was Grace Whittaker (2023) who caught my eye last year in this game and she did not disappoint.

Not going to lie, the overall standard of the game is not great, but you can also lend that to the fact that the majority of players are not eligible for up to 2, 3 and even four years AFTER next year. That's right, there was a couple of 13-year-olds running around in the match. So with those expectations in mind, I was really keen to see how Whittaker performed, and if any others stepped up. Here's the score/goals/bests.

TEAM BAIRD 3.2 | 4.5 | 7.5 | 7.7 (49)
TEAM PONTER 3.1 | 4.1 | 6.4 | 7.6 (48)

GOALS:

Baird:
K. Campbell 3, S. Sa’anga 2, E. Stark, M. Baldwin.
Ponter: R. Shelford 3, H. Maher, L. Stewart, K. Munyarryun, G. Whittaker.

DC BEST:

Baird:
K. Zerafa, E. Stark, K. Campbell, E. Gikas, S. Sa’anga
Ponter: G. Whittaker, R. Shelford, H. Maher, T. Graham

--

Grace Whittaker (Southern Districts)

Behind Kievit, Whittaker was my second choice for the 2023 AFLW Draft from an NT perspective, and after a slow first half - she was playing forward in a side that did not have a lot of forward half possession - she was moved into the ruck where she dominated. I counted at least 12 touches in the third term when she went in there, with her leap and second efforts impressive. I think what stands out for Whittaker is her smarts and ability to sidestep opponents in traffic. As a taller player with a good leap, she is a class above at this level in the air, and clever enough at ground level to win the ball. Don't get me wrong I'm not projecting her as a high prospect, but as one who I would personally like to see tested at a higher level (NAB, eventually Allies) if possible. Worth noting too she is born on December 30, 2005 so only two days inside the 2023 eligibility.

Kierra Zerafa (Waratah)

A more raw version of Whittaker who knows how to use her height. Started in the ruck and was best on ground in the first half. When Whittaker moved in there she was beaten, but then once Whittaker moved out, she took control again. A good leap, able to get her hands free in congestion and finds space around the ground. Laid a good tackle on a smaller player at half-back to lock it up too in the third term. At this level a lot of players are still learning kicking technique, but Zerafa actually has it down pat which is impressive.

Rania Shelford (Alkamilya)

Here's a talent. She's a 14-year-old (07-born) forward with some high-level athleticism that in an elite program could take off. Unfortunately it will be difficult to see too much of her due to being an Alice Springs-based product playing in the Central Australian Football League. I had a quick look and she's a terrific athlete (literally competes in athletics) and that is easy to see. She slotted three goals, and her second one she started about 10m behind her opponent, got in front of her, turned her goalside and ran in and kicked it. Her third she actually had multiple efforts, laid a tackle and converted the set shot. I'd love to see her playing NTFL at least, but again she's 14, so still has many years to go, but one that I'll note down for the future.

Emma Stark (St Mary's)

A versatile talent who spent time up both ends, and is one to watch as a 2024 AFLW Draft talent. One of the few who appeared to be clean at ground level, and adapted to the roles at both ends, with the smarts to lead out inside 50 and take a grab, and use good technique with her kicking. Like all these prospects is still raw, but one who is at least in the NTFL with another couple of years of development, and I think will be one I'll keep tabs on over her journey. Just liked what I saw, and looked composed too.

--

What about next year's draft?

The only prospect I would be comfortable in assuming will be in the draft frame at this stage is J'Noemi Anderson. The Sandringham Dragons prospect is still raw, but more developed than her other NT-04 talents, and the Suns have already brought her in to play the Queensland game as well (higher level), which is good. I wouldn't have her in the top-end of the draft, but if she nominates Queensland for the Suns to pick her up, she could be a long-term project for them. I didn't mind her at Allies, though she stood out more than she did at NAB League, and I think next year she will have more opportunities and an increased midfield role. A good size at 171cm too.

--

MATCH REPORT:

Also on the topic of AFLW U17s Championships, it hasn't really been well promoted so perhaps briztoon this is the best chance if the Lions board didn't know, but the Lions and Suns U17s sides are doing battle tomorrow. Ella Smith isn't playing, but Mullins (Lions) and Gee (Suns) my top prospects from the state are, as well as Fleur Davies (sister of Giselle). It's on YouTube which is great, and there's always a few more who pop up along the way (about half a dozen were 19s squad members this year).

Then, if we consider that, historically, School Sports Australia has hosted the Australian Football U12's games, then we'd also think about prospects for 2027 and, given that some years have had 11 year olds playing alongside the 12 year olds, this would be beefed up to 2028.

This means that we'd be thinking about possible 2029 debutantes.

Footy is continuous.

Then, if we consider that, historically, School Sports Australia has hosted the Australian Football U12's games, then we'd also think about prospects for 2027 and, given that some years have had 11 year olds playing alongside the 12 year olds, this would be beefed up to 2028.

This means that we'd be thinking about possible 2029 debutantes.

Footy is continuous.
Yeah as a rule of thumb I don’t really look at much below V/Line Cup level as so much changes including body development, sport preference, harder to track given the pyramid pathway opens right up etc.

Thats 2007-born next year which blows my mind. To already have 08 players running around in rep games is crazy.

Yeah as a rule of thumb I don’t really look at much below V/Line Cup level as so much changes including body development, sport preference, harder to track given the pyramid pathway opens right up etc.

Thats 2007-born next year which blows my mind. To already have 08 players running around in rep games is crazy.

Certainly makes you feel old hey.

These 2008 born players would form the next wave of AFLW development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back