Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Annual report link (pdf) ...

From Brian Cook's email today:-

The Carlton Football Club has today announced a net operating profit of $3,390,993 for 2022, an increase on the $1,282,346 result achieved in 2021.
This significant increase can be attributed largely to our loyal members and supporters, as another membership record was achieved off the back of a 9 per cent growth (81,302 to 88,776), as well as an average home crowd attendance of 49,784 – ranked number one in the AFL.

As a result, the Club generated net revenues totaling $20,069,003 from membership, gate receipts and retail – a 29 per cent increase on the comparable 2019 financial year ($15,570,918), prior to the pandemic.

Our commercial partners also underpinned what was a positive financial result, as revenues grew to $16,565,251, a 28 per cent increase from 2019 ($12,977,330).

$7.2 Mil increase in 'club hospitality venues' on 2021. They didn't separate gaming revenue from bar, bistro and function revenue like they did in previous reports, unless I've missed it.

It's hard to be as enthusiastic about the financial results when you read damning headlines like this.

Used to be a Pokies addict myself, took me a good 5-10 years to finally wean myself of those soul destroying machines

Some of the worst Mental Health episodes and experiences of my life happened cause of those vile machines.

I myself will not take any pleasure or pride in our great club making even one red cent from this pokie/gaming revenue.

I understand the view re: pokies (which are awful things), and wouldn't lose sleep if we did get out of the business, but I don't have an issue with Carlton having them for two reasons. There are a set amount of pokies that will exist and be in use no matter who is getting the profit from them, and nobody loses a cent more because of their association with Carlton (they aren't at a Carlton-branded venue, for example). Just my personal view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, but that's literally how I see it. If the money has to go somewhere (and it does) I'd rather it be Carlton than Bruce Mathieson's pockets or something.

The point is, most other clubs have started to get themselves off/wean themselves off Pokies revenue (I believe Hawthorn are in the process of getting rid of their's)

The toxic effects of pokies addiction is real, I almost became homeless because of it, and attempted self harm during some really dark times of my addiction.

And it's nowhere near as easy or simple to go cold turkey/decide to give up pokies on a whim

We can and must find alternative revenue streams. This money is tainted, no matter what type of spin you put on it.

The point is, most other clubs have started to get themselves off/wean themselves off Pokies revenue (I believe Hawthorn are in the process of getting rid of their's)

The toxic effects of pokies addiction is real, I almost became homeless because of it, and attempted self harm during some really dark times of my addiction.

And it's nowhere near as easy or simple to go cold turkey/decide to give up pokies on a whim

We can and must find alternative revenue streams. This money is tainted, no matter what type of spin you put on it.
Do not play pokies myself, but on your logic blaming the inanimate entity for addiction, welcome to the age of prohibition.
Ban alcohol, no alcoholics.

Join in the chorus guys, or take responsibility for your own actions.

Do not play pokies myself, but on your logic blaming the inanimate entity for addiction, welcome to the age of prohibition.
Ban alcohol, no alcoholics.

Join in the chorus guys, or take responsibility for your own actions.

That's literally not what I am saying.

Also your logic is flawed given alcohol sponsorship in footy was outlawed years ago.

Once again (playing devils apricot here) those that are lauded for getting out of pokies are simply selling the licences for about 8 times the amount that they make each year . With the funds going to consolidated revenue.

If hawthorn are selling their licences for $25 mill ish (which is going to their dingley project) they are no more noble than a club that continues to take the money annually. Unless they give all proceeds to charity. Same as Collingwood who sold theirs and pocketed the proceeds.

Once again (playing devils apricot here) those that are lauded for getting out of pokies are simply selling the licences for about 8 times the amount that they make each year . With the funds going to consolidated revenue.

If hawthorn are selling their licences for $25 mill ish (which is going to their dingley project) they are no more noble than a club that continues to take the money annually. Unless they give all proceeds to charity. Same as Collingwood who sold theirs and pocketed the proceeds.

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

Spot on. Good public relations exercise but that's about it.

Had this same discussion with my Southport Sharks people. I had the opposite viewpoint to this and their answer was straight forward.

"And Rick, where do you think the money goes? It gets invested into other revenue making streams but it all began through pokie revenue. And now somebody else makes that money long term."

Really made me think.

"And Rick, where do you think the money goes? It gets invested into other revenue making streams but it all began through pokie revenue. And now somebody else makes that money long term."

It's Wick not Rick.

Get it right FFS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back