Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone's playing career and where they were taken in the draft has no bearing on whether they have the skills to develop and nurture talent. Thats a completely different skillset. Hopefully Goddard has it but if he does, it won't be because he was drafted number 1 twenty years ago.
Disagree with that, someone's playing career absolutely gives them the full understanding of what it takes to develop talent and play the game at a high standard. BJ will know everything it takes to be an elite player based on his career as an elite player.

The Draft position was only evidence of the fact that he knows how to work hard once he's been drafted, that Draft position doesn't mean anything, but what he did after being drafted does.

The thing I see most or what frustrates me the most is our forward 50 entries, we get the ball enough, but we don't get the ball inside 50 enough and then our conversion is horrible, we run into each other, (bigs and smalls) we bomb it to the hotspot, we fly for contested marks in packs etc.

Back in 2008, Clarkson with Boyle, Franklin and Roughead, played a rotating forward line, which I can only explain through this video.

I can see these ideas working in the AFL, with either 3 tall forwards ala Hawks 2008, or 5 or 6 forwards so long as each forward is a genuine attacking option, the idea works around creating space for teammates, but it requires everyone to park the bus in regards to ego.
I would see it best with a line up of three talls King, Membrey/Sharman/Battle, Marshall/Hayes/Heath, and I'd need the smalls to be able to take a mark, so 3 out of Snags, Gresham, Owens, a resting mid, Windhager, Steele, Wood or even DMac, with no room for a defensive mid, nor Butler who is just not good enough overhead.

Everyone gets to run to space, because everyone is creating space behind them, defenders have to play their man, everyone knows what they are doing and why, no one gets sucked to the ball, if the defenders go to one man there's always a loose man that can be honored and when we lose possession we're set up for a zone defence in the forward line, it rewards players that read the game and are unselfish.

Anyone with thoughts or ideas?

The thing I see most or what frustrates me the most is our forward 50 entries, we get the ball enough, but we don't get the ball inside 50 enough and then our conversion is horrible, we run into each other, (bigs and smalls) we bomb it to the hotspot, we fly for contested marks in packs etc.

Back in 2008, Clarkson with Boyle, Franklin and Roughead, played a rotating forward line, which I can only explain through this video.

I can see these ideas working in the AFL, with either 3 tall forwards ala Hawks 2008, or 5 or 6 forwards so long as each forward is a genuine attacking option, the idea works around creating space for teammates, but it requires everyone to park the bus in regards to ego.
I would see it best with a line up of three talls King, Membrey/Sharman/Battle, Marshall/Hayes/Heath, and I'd need the smalls to be able to take a mark, so 3 out of Snags, Gresham, Owens, a resting mid, Windhager, Steele, Wood or even DMac, with no room for a defensive mid, nor Butler who is just not good enough overhead.

Everyone gets to run to space, because everyone is creating space behind them, defenders have to play their man, everyone knows what they are doing and why, no one gets sucked to the ball, if the defenders go to one man there's always a loose man that can be honored and when we lose possession we're set up for a zone defence in the forward line, it rewards players that read the game and are unselfish.

Anyone with thoughts or ideas?
My thoughts are that we clog up our own forwardine and we are our worst enemy.

Our high Half Forwards and CHF don't push up to open up space behind them. Max notoriously doesn't lead, but often doesn't have the space ahead to lead into.

Ultimately we're lazy and clog up our own forwardine. As a former defender, that's absolutely ideal, it means defenders can slide off and be third man up (see Stewart against us), or slide off and double-team Max (see every team against us).

We need more space, more movement and quicker wheel-and-go instinctive entries from beyond the 50. Those three things all work together and I suspect we'll see it in 2023.

Have to say watching that video with Mattaes and seeing Goddard in the Saints polo I actually felt really emotional. The club has been s**t since we turfed him, seeing him there in Saints gear looking fit and passionate it just feels like things are right in the world again. Have the feeling he will be an absolutely outstanding pick up for us working with our young boys.

I'm just absolutely glowing right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back