Coach 2022 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree with those saying we don't have a cattle. See a lot of this in the media, it's a hangover from the Richo years that takes a long time to change opinions on. We have a lot of top end talent, we just haven't drafted a lot them ourselves so they don't get viewed the same way. Does our list match Melbourne or Brisbane? No, but it's comparable to the likes of Fremantle and Sydney IMO.
King: Just got the most votes of any player in the comp as the first player picked to start a team from scratch. High draft pick.
Gresham: First round pick, picked for Victoria a couple of years ago in the one of state game.
Billings: High draft pick
Hill: First round draft pick.
Crouch: Pre-selection would have been top 3 in his draft.
Higgins: High draft pick.
Marshall: Non-traditional selection but has star potential and heaps of talent.
Steele: First round draft pick, two time all Australian, top 3 in Brownlow.
Sinclair: Non-traditional pick but universally regarded as all Australian this year (well until the last couple of weeks).
NWM: High draft pick.
Clarke: High draft pick.
Coffield: Not playing obviously but high draft pick.
Wilkie: Non-traditional pick, but one of the most dependable defenders in the comp.
I'm not saying we should be winning the flag this year but giving Ratten a pass cause we have a bad list is inaccurate. For me the sign of a good coaching program is consistency in performance which I haven't seen. Even in the wins this year there have been wild swings in performance within games.

Don't agree with those saying we don't have a cattle. See a lot of this in the media, it's a hangover from the Richo years that takes a long time to change opinions on. We have a lot of top end talent, we just haven't drafted a lot them ourselves so they don't get viewed the same way. Does our list match Melbourne or Brisbane? No, but it's comparable to the likes of Fremantle and Sydney IMO.
King: Just got the most votes of any player in the comp as the first player picked to start a team from scratch. High draft pick.
Gresham: First round pick, picked for Victoria a couple of years ago in the one of state game.
Sinclair: Non-traditional pick but universally regarded as all Australian this year (well until the last couple of weeks).
Wilkie: Non-traditional pick, but one of the most dependable defenders in the comp.
I'm not saying we should be winning the flag this year but giving Ratten a pass cause we have a bad list is inaccurate. For me the sign of a good coaching program is consistency in performance which I haven't seen. Even in the wins this year there have been wild swings in performance within games.

Newsflash:
Where they were picked in the draft does not make them top end talent.
This is known as the "Tambling-Watts" affect.

For example, Higgins came to the Saints because he was not getting a game for Richmond.
If he was such top end talent , he would have been getting a game for Richmond.

When you get a player from another club at bargain basement price, there is a chance they are not top end talent.
When you pick a player in the first round and he spuds it up year after year, he may not be top end talent.

King: Sooks it up when the ball doesn't land on him.
Gresham :Great at getting the ball. Kicks it.....somewhere.
Billings : The next Farren Ray.
Hill : Runs away from seagulls.
Crouch : Less meters gained than Daniel McKenzie. 182nd in the AFL.
Higgins : Lucky to find the sticks.
Marshall : Ruck forward who can't kick goals.
Steele : ummm I'll find something.
Sinclair : ummm OK i like Steele and Sinclair.
NWM : Will be good, unless we can train him.
Clark : Falls asleep while running.
Coffield: We thought he would be good, then he wasn't, then we thought he would be good this year, then he got injured.
Wilkie : Yes our State League players are better than our AFL drafted players.

Jones : Seems to be about as good as Darren Minchington this year.
Ross : Very effective as the worlds slowest outside mid.
Dan : Missing.
Byrnes : Once got 24 disposals , but more than a year ago.
Geary : Old , over the hill, poor disposal, no loss if we need to select him.
Butler : Makes pressure ...lots of pressure....we will win when they change the rules to count pressure instead of goals.
Windhager : Should be good if we don't find a way to make his development go like Byrnes.
Ryder : Our best player, being rested because he's so old.
Howard : A great full back apart from not being accountable and making fatal kicking errors.
Long : Will help Butler win us the "pressure act premiership "
Bytel : might be good...yeah...might be....or injured again...
Owens : Who knows ?
Kent : Smart guy, ECO at the start of the season.
Battle : Our second best ruck?
Adams : Injured VFL player.
Membrey : up the back to try to cover for Dougal.
Webster : Uninspiring tryhard who isn't getting any younger.
Alison : When we picked him first round people here were saying WTF?. Now they are saying WTF?
Lionert : Really tall player, plays like a really short player. Useful if we didn't have Sinclair, Webster, Coffield, Paton, Highmore, Wilkie etc.
Wood : Delisted from North...and we took him and played him. Says a lot.
Paton : Uninspiring
Highmore : a great intercept....other skills TBA.
McKenzie : Sometimes getting 20 disposals this year, so one of his best . Part of his 8 year development plan.
Connolly : Potential to be a vanilla HBF.
Campbell : Good VFL ruck.
Joyce : Drafted as an Irish Rookie, lots of people thought we should delist him until they decided that Howard was worse.
Heath : Skinny Ruck.
Sharman : He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy ( for not kicking the goals he was meant to ).
Peris : Runs fast.
Kyle : Even smarter than Kent.
Hayes : Another state league player who is better than most players we got in the draft.

Ranting Roast over. They deserve it.

Newsflash:

For example, Higgins came to the Saints because he was not getting a game for Richmond.

When you get a player from another club at bargain basement price, there is a chance they are not top end talent.
When you pick a player in the first round and he spuds it up year after year, he may not be top end talent.

Coffield: We thought he would be good, then he wasn't, then we thought he would be good this year, then he got injured.

Butler : Makes pressure ...lots of pressure....we will win when they change the rules to count pressure instead of goals.
Windhager : Should be good if we don't find a way to make his development go like Byrnes.
Howard : A great full back apart from not being accountable and making fatal kicking errors.
Alison : When we picked him first round people here were saying WTF?. Now they are saying WTF?
Lionert : Really tall player, plays like a really short player. Useful if we didn't have Sinclair, Webster, Coffield, Paton, Highmore, Wilkie etc.
McKenzie : Sometimes getting 20 disposals this year, so one of his best . Part of his 8 year development plan.
Joyce : Drafted as an Irish Rookie, lots of people thought we should delist him until they decided that Howard was worse.
Sharman : He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy ( for not kicking the goals he was meant to ).
Hayes : Another state league player who is better than most players we got in the draft.

You can take Kyle off your list... he has walked and severed ties with us.

Newsflash:

Haha nice rant, the players certainly deserve it and all the criticism they are getting on current form.

Obviously where a player is drafted doesn't guarantee how good they will be. My point was that we have had access to as much high end talent as you would expect from a club that has been bog average over the last 5 years within the current system of draft and trading. In fact I think James Gallagher has done a pretty good job of turning over the list from the Richo years.

At some point it comes down to development and coaching and that is where I see the main problem. By the way a bit harsh on Higgins, 1 Richmond wanted to keep him and 2 his was a very unique situation, was well established in the best team in the comp before his brain injury. Was more then living up the draft pedigree and I would say has shown his pedigree on numerous occasions in his time at the Saints, just cant put it together consistently, like the team. Again I see that as a coaching issue.

Haha nice rant, the players certainly deserve it and all the criticism they are getting on current form.

Obviously where a player is drafted doesn't guarantee how good they will be. My point was that we have had access to as much high end talent as you would expect from a club that has been bog average over the last 5 years within the current system of draft and trading. In fact I think James Gallagher has done a pretty good job of turning over the list from the Richo years.

At some point it comes down to development and coaching and that is where I see the main problem. By the way a bit harsh on Higgins, 1 Richmond wanted to keep him and 2 his was a very unique situation, was well established in the best team in the comp before his brain injury. Was more then living up the draft pedigree and I would say has shown his pedigree on numerous occasions in his time at the Saints, just cant put it together consistently, like the team. Again I see that as a coaching issue.

Ok , i'll grant i was a bit harsh on Higgins. .....ummm....was that the only one?

Newsflash:

That's a pissa🤣

Just because some are high draft picks it doesn't me an their output will be that of a high draft pick , Billings sure doesn't give us what a pick 3 should .
Yes we do have some very promising players but we also have a few that are just ordinary and are pumped up way to much on here

Just because some are high draft picks it doesn't me an their output will be that of a high draft pick , Billings sure doesn't give us what a pick 3 should .
Yes we do have some very promising players but we also have a few that are just ordinary and are pumped up way to much on here
Read my reply earlier, my point wasn't that high draft picks guarantee good output it was that we have had access to a lot of high end talent that we should be getting more out of.

Slightly better than our previous pick 3 though:
1c958.ArnolJody.jpg

Read my reply earlier, my point wasn't that high draft picks guarantee good output it was that we have had access to a lot of high end talent that we should be getting more out of.
Yes but high end doesn't mean squat , You can pay a Million for a yearling , it doesn't meant can run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list isn’t incredible but it’s experienced and has plenty of even talent. Probably better over all than Freo and a few others around us. I think a lot of people have their brains stalled in 2018 and have low expectations if anything. If this squad isn’t going to challenge we are in a very bad place. We don’t have much under 21 talent compared to others. If Ratts blows it again we will need to rebuild again.

Jody Arnol? What a blast from the past. Back when having tatts and was not a fashion statement.

You had to be tough playing footy with a girls name.

I often wonder how the top players of the day were Voss, Buckley Hird and Harvs and they all won Brownlows, and went on to coach their teams except Harvey. St.Kilda does not respect their own champions.
Yeah nah, There are reasons why harves is not coaching and it's nothing to do with respect,

Corret me if I am wrong, but the last St.Kilda person to coach us, was Grant THOMAS, and before him Yabby Jeans. And Ken Shelton if you ignore his Carlton career. Now why have,nt we stacked our coaching panel with ex-Saints?

Yeah nah, There are reasons why harves is not coaching and it's nothing to do with respect,
sometimes really really good players make s**t coaches because what made them good wasn't necessarily something you can teach or their strategic brain. If a player is pure talent and physical prowess then they can't really explain how they're good. Imagine Dusty being a coach and trying to teach some players

"yeah just simply get the ball heaps and kick goals its not that hard"

WHat are they then, apart from not being a great public speaker, which is a pathetic reason?
I don't know but he has never been given the main gig so there must be reasons , God you're angry tonight

Corret me if I am wrong, but the last St.Kilda person to coach us, was Grant THOMAS, and before him Yabby Jeans. And Ken Shelton if you ignore his Carlton career. Now why have,nt we stacked our coaching panel with ex-Saints?

Because they are losers?

Saints have a fine tradition with early draft picks.

First we have the, "Not quite all Australian club "
T Brown , R Clarke, A McQualter, J Billings. H Clark? N Coffield?

The "Might have been slightly overrated brigade "
G Merritt
D Healy
A Harvey
B Walton
C Beetham
T Lee

The "Benedict Arnold club"
T Lynch, J Cripps.

And the " Seriously broken , lets delist them club ".
J Smith, P McCartin, M Maguire

Not sure where X Clark fits in.

More than half our early ( ish ) picks in 30 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back