Opinion 2022 Fantasy Player X vs Y vs Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

creamPIES

Debutant
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do we actually think Maynard plays mid? He’s an elite defender so it kind of feels like robbing Paul to pay Peter type thing. JDG currently missing still so I wonder if that potentially pushes him back out if he does start out as a mid this year. Could be a ripper pick but I’m not sure I’m sold yet. Any pies fans want to shed light? creamPIES ?

I’m very confident maynard plays midfield this season. Adams is the only other one with a little bit of grunt, but you can’t rely on him to play a full season. JDG I’m expecting to play majority forward again, hasn’t been training with the group so providing he gets the go ahead, I can’t see him playing anymore then 50% mid, pendles hinted this in a recent interview. Sidebottom and pendles will start to be phased out of the middle to make room for the kids playing hff and hbf respectively. And n.daicos might get a pinch hit thru the middle but I’m expecting him to be solely a half back flanker as they want to develop his defensive ability. Ruscoe has also had a massive pre season training with that bloke darcy and jackson have been, our half back line is probably the strongest on the field, hence the maynard move.

In short form I expect our midfield group to be adams maynard lipinski macrae with j.daicos poulter or maybe hoskin elliot on the wings, expect mcinnes to get a early debut providing his fit, and de goey probably gets the occasional cba.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’m very confident maynard plays midfield this season. Adams is the only other one with a little bit of grunt, but you can’t rely on him to play a full season. JDG I’m expecting to play majority forward again, hasn’t been training with the group so providing he gets the go ahead, I can’t see him playing anymore then 50% mid, pendles hinted this in a recent interview. Sidebottom and pendles will start to be phased out of the middle to make room for the kids playing hff and hbf respectively. And n.daicos might get a pinch hit thru the middle but I’m expecting him to be solely a half back flanker as they want to develop his defensive ability. Ruscoe has also had a massive pre season training with that bloke darcy and jackson have been, our half back line is probably the strongest on the field, hence the maynard move.

In short form I expect our midfield group to be adams maynard lipinski macrae with j.daicos poulter or maybe hoskin elliot on the wings, expect mcinnes to get a early debut providing his fit, and de goey probably gets the occasional cba.
Thanks! That's some solid info. Lots of interesting things there. N Daicos DPP is lovely

creamPIES

Debutant
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks! That's some solid info. Lots of interesting things there. N Daicos DPP is lovely

Yeah I’d be shocked if he doesn’t average 80+, from what I’ve seen on the collingwood board, they already consider him as one of best ball users in our team both sides. He seems extremely confident for a junior too, will have no trouble demanding the ball.

creamPIES

Debutant
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Milera vs bowey vs ruscoe

Ruscoe has the highest ceiling out of the 3 imo, just not sure if I can start another pies player with daicos grundy and maynard already in my team.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Milera vs bowey vs ruscoe

Ruscoe has the highest ceiling out of the 3 imo, just not sure if I can start another pies player with daicos grundy and maynard already in my team.
I rate Ruscoe but is he a definite starter for you guys? I was under the impression he was that 20-26th type player on your list. If he's locked in for a starting spot in the 22 then I think he is serious value

creamPIES

Debutant
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I rate Ruscoe but is he a definite starter for you guys? I was under the impression he was that 20-26th type player on your list. If he's locked in for a starting spot in the 22 then I think he is serious value

IMG_0448.JPG

He looks like a completely different person this year, I think he’s already ahead of noble in the pecking order given nobles kicking is shocking. He also played 6 of the last 7 last year when he was playing 60-70% game time, and looks like he should be able to push that up to 80% consistently, i would be shocked if he didn’t play round 1. I think his ceiling is higher then milera and bowey who are at the same price but with covid running rampant, and crisp, maynard, grundy, daicos, jdg and w.kelly all pretty common picks I can’t see many people taking a punt on him. I’ve got 3 pies players on field(maynard grundy and daicos) and I can’t see any leaving my team, so the question is can I afford to have 4

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
GWS bat way too deep in the midfield. Kelly is a jet but there's every chance he gets played on a HFF. He's way more capable in that role than guys like Hopper, Ward, Green, DeBoer. You'd think with Greene out the first 6 weeks the likes of Taranto, Kelly and Cogs will play a fair chunk forward early.

I don’t think there is any worry with Jelly taking a HFF or being negatively affected by Greene missing.

Greene missed rounds 10,11,18,19 and 22 last year. In those matches Kelly scored 110, 108, 86 in 56% TOG before an injury, a 96 and a 141 playing midfield.

Conigilo played round 18 but not the others and he is much more likely to be a go to up forward than Kelly.

If he stays injury free I think Jelly is locked in for 110 minimum but likely 115+ and is locked in my side.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1309074

He looks like a completely different person this year, I think he’s already ahead of noble in the pecking order given nobles kicking is shocking. He also played 6 of the last 7 last year when he was playing 60-70% game time, and looks like he should be able to push that up to 80% consistently, i would be shocked if he didn’t play round 1. I think his ceiling is higher then milera and bowey who are at the same price but with covid running rampant, and crisp, maynard, grundy, daicos, jdg and w.kelly all pretty common picks I can’t see many people taking a punt on him. I’ve got 3 pies players on field(maynard grundy and daicos) and I can’t see any leaving my team, so the question is can I afford to have 4

Ruscoe now in my back line x vs y - Ruscoe v Millera v Bowey.

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
I don’t think there is any worry with Jelly taking a HFF or being negatively affected by Greene missing.

Greene missed rounds 10,11,18,19 and 22 last year. In those matches Kelly scored 110, 108, 86 in 56% TOG before an injury, a 96 and a 141 playing midfield.

Conigilo played round 18 but not the others and he is much more likely to be a go to up forward than Kelly.

If he stays injury free I think Jelly is locked in for 110 minimum but likely 115+ and is locked in my side.
I think 110 is realistic, would need to have a career year again to go 115+. He is still 870k and priced at 104, so maybe 6 points unders. Does that justify picking him? Potentially for someone looking for a POD. Crazy Leon, Greene out, GWS' deep midfield and Josh's injury history present too many question marks for me at this stage. I see more value in guys priced in the mid 90's who are capable of going 105 (eg Neale, Yeo) or trust someone like a Oliver more in the same price bracket to get to that 115 mark. But if all of our teams were the same the game would be boring!

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think 110 is realistic, would need to have a career year again to go 115+. He is still 870k and priced at 104, so maybe 6 points unders. Does that justify picking him? Potentially for someone looking for a POD. Crazy Leon, Greene out, GWS' deep midfield and Josh's injury history present too many question marks for me at this stage. I see more value in guys priced in the mid 90's who are capable of going 105 (eg Neale, Yeo) or trust someone like a Oliver more in the same price bracket to get to that 115 mark. But if all of our teams were the same the game would be boring!

Im taking a different approach this year and not worrying about the Yeo types in the hope they return to 100+ averages. I never seem to pick them right so prefer just to get my premos in off the bat this year. Who knows, could miss some real gems or bank the early points 🧐

Regardless of my approach this year, I’m not at all sold on Yeo. Looking at his previous years where he’s only averaged over 100 twice, in both those years he still has many games where he goes at 70/80. Then he has a big month where he bangs out 130 each week to increase his overall average. I’m sceptical with his injuries if he will have the same ceiling and therefor will struggle to average above 95 IMO.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Who knows if Crouch 'll even line up Round 1, but hypothetically if he does, which pairing would you guys take and why?

Hall & M. Crouch

VS

J. Kelly & Bowes

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
I wouldn't go Kelly r1 because I suspect he'll be spending more time than usual up forward.

Really? I'd be pretty confident on it being Cogs and Taranto filling the Greene void, tbh - especially given that Taranto performed in that role to aplomb in the latter half of the season.

Kelly is more of a winger/inside mid, which they're not stacked for either, so I honestly see him playing his favored role while others plug gaps. He only did it last season early on because Cogs was unavailable due to injury.

We'll obviously see, but at this stage I'm on board given his incredibly low ownership, his massive ceiling, and the fact that his first 7 rounds dropped his average making him underpriced and a POD

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Who knows if Crouch 'll even line up Round 1, but hypothetically if he does, which pairing would you guys take and why?

Hall & M. Crouch

VS

J. Kelly & Bowes
I'm very wary of guys coming of an interrupted pre-season so Crouch, whist he's in my team ATS, is very much a wait and see, but would be great value if he's OK.

Hall is priced at 109 which is a few points off what he produced last year and in my mind he just has to have 1 or 2 down games to become an upgrade target for me. That being said, he did put up some insane scores last year.

IIRC Kelly played the 1st 6 games last year predominately forward and it was my understanding that he was carrying a niggling injury into the start of the season, I traded him in at round 7 after he was moved back into the midfield and his production from then on was great for a Fwd averaging 110 inc. finals. I think he presents as excellent value priced at 104 and would expect a 110+ average as well as a viable VC/C option.

From all reports Bowes is training with the mids and if he get's the 2nd mid group rotation then he should score quite well with a reasonably high floor but probably a low ceiling. Priced at 80 he scored at 102 for the 1st 8 games last year which is what I'd hope for this year and as a defender that would have had him as top 4 in averages last year.

FWIW I'm chasing value this year, have Bowes and Crouch in my side and I'm seriously looking at Kelly to take Ben Keays spot.

Not sure whether that helps or not regarding your X v's Y.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Hall & M. Crouch

VS

J. Kelly & Bowes
Hall & M.Crouch ......Bowes has so many ???? ....and as someone posted the other day, he gets swung around to different roles

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I'm very wary of guys coming of an interrupted pre-season so Crouch, whist he's in my team ATS, is very much a wait and see, but would be great value if he's OK.
Crouch hasn't had an interrupted PS though ......just a slow build, no hiccups so far .....similar to Milera

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Crouch hasn't had an interrupted PS though ......just a slow build, no hiccups so far .....similar to Milera
Just going off the pod6 podcast....

"Nothing much has changed since his previous injury update, Crouch is a questionable selection in season long fantasy at Round 1 considering he won’t have completed a full pre-season.

He likely slides in single season draft leagues."

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Just going off the pod6 podcast....

"Nothing much has changed since his previous injury update, Crouch is a questionable selection in season long fantasy at Round 1 considering he won’t have completed a full pre-season.

He likely slides in single season draft leagues."
That's just wrong .....the serious PS buildup starts after Xmas break .....Crouc trained most of last year in an attempt to get up, so I don't think fitness is an issue .....the question is; has the recent operation (last season) fixed the groin ?

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That's just wrong .....the serious PS buildup starts after Xmas break .....Crouc trained most of last year in an attempt to get up, so I don't think fitness is an issue .....the question is; has the recent operation (last season) fixed the groin ?
Oh, he's very much on my radar and if he keeps tracking the way he's going then he's a 'must have'. Just wary after a hip and 2 groin operations.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What role will Crouch play after so much time out? Now Laird is a permanent midfielder and imagine Schoenberg is a higher priority for midfield time now too. That leaves a mix between Keays, Sloane, Crouch, Hately (if he plays), Berry and the other youngsters all pushing for that midfield time? Then there’s also the likes of Dawson, Seedsman, Scholl etc taking the wings.

Or will Crouch return to a first pick rotation in the midfield and the others take a step back?

Milo Cyrus

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
What role will Crouch play after so much time out? Now Laird is a permanent midfielder and imagine Schoenberg is a higher priority for midfield time now too. That leaves a mix between Keays, Sloane, Crouch, Hately (if he plays), Berry and the other youngsters all pushing for that midfield time? Then there’s also the likes of Dawson, Seedsman, Scholl etc taking the wings.

Or will Crouch return to a first pick rotation in the midfield and the others take a step back?
If Crouch is good to go, I'd be giving Sloane the flick from the midfield rotations, his time has come.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

This is the problem with Matt Crouch, from a supporter's POV ......he's a one position player only .....Mid

Can't see how you ease Crouch in .....he's either ready or not

Sloane too slow for midfield now ....Hately a stretch .....See Crouch, Keays, Schoenberg, Sloane as the first string midfield .....with Berry, McHenry, Pedlar rotating thru with limited Mid Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back