2nds 2022 Season in Perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

We were badly hit by injury early in the piece and that filtered down to the Reserves. On top of that the AFL reduced the lists for all AFL clubs and that had an effect. According to Matt Richardson we only played 6 AFL listed players against North when we managed a single goal.

The above factors aside the Port Magpies played a disjointed Hinkley style of game and never seemed to make use of the players they had available. With injuries to Sam Skinner and Jake Pasini we lacked height in defence for most of the year hence the selection of Ollie Lord as a defender. Obviously the SANFL restrictions do not allow us to go out and recruit ex AFL players like the other SANFL clubs can be we may need to get better at recruiting the top up players we are allowed. We seem to go for mid sized midfielders rather than talls.

I realise that it is easy to blame Ken Hinkley for everything that goes wrong but in this instance I think whoever Coaches the Port Magpies is hamstrung by Ken's indirect game plan and his lack of flexibility. The sad fact is that Hinkley, his coaching staff and the AFL listed players have no appreciation of the tradition of the PAFC in the SANFL. They say they know Port but their focus is on the AFL and the SANFL is what it is, a feeder league for the AFL side.

Tbh I am not sure what happens next year as Hinkley will still hold sway and the Port Magpies are really at the mercy of the AFL list management.

We've been over this in other threads but a range of factors has contributed to that result.

Some list management decisions have hurt the sanfl side, injuries have hurt us so we've had a number of games where we've fielded only 5 or 6 AFL listed players and the top ups aren't sanfl reserves standard, and we've experimented positionally.

Lokan is probably cooked and I don't expect him to be coaching the sanfl side next year.

I don't follow the crows list that closely (every time they name a debutant I think they were a sanfl top up player) but they seem to have a good run injury-wise and they have a lot of twilight zoners on their list, guys that are better than sanfl but not AFL standard.

The results are what you'd expect, working with the many limits the SANFL places on us. I'd assume the SANFL, like everyone else, knows Koch likes to do a couple of pretend barks on an issue, before scurrying away, so we'll still be in the SANFL in 2023 with the same shitty conditions. This season should be catalyst to finally get out of the tin pot league and be elsewhere in 2023, but this rounds out the trifecta of inaction (Hinkley and PB's the other two). So yah for us, for floggings in a meaningless comp, that is suboptimal for developing our younger players.

We've been over this in other threads but a range of factors has contributed to that result.

Some list management decisions have hurt the sanfl side, injuries have hurt us so we've had a number of games where we've fielded only 5 or 6 AFL listed players and the top ups aren't sanfl reserves standard, and we've experimented positionally.

Lokan is probably cooked and I don't expect him to be coaching the sanfl side next year.

I don't follow the crows list that closely (every time they name a debutant I think they were a sanfl top up player) but they seem to have a good run injury-wise and they have a lot of twilight zoners on their list, guys that are better than sanfl but not AFL standard.
The Crows are just at that stage of their rebuild where if they picked as many kids as they need they'd be using pick #100 and be locked into them for 2 years

So instead they keep/recruit journeymen to fill the gap til the next few drafts.

Hence they have a better SANFL team without necessarily having better youth.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
We were badly hit by injury early in the piece and that filtered down to the Reserves. On top of that the AFL reduced the lists for all AFL clubs and that had an effect. According to Matt Richardson we only played 6 AFL listed players against North when we managed a single goal.

The above factors aside the Port Magpies played a disjointed Hinkley style of game and never seemed to make use of the players they had available. With injuries to Sam Skinner and Jake Pasini we lacked height in defence for most of the year hence the selection of Ollie Lord as a defender. Obviously the SANFL restrictions do not allow us to go out and recruit ex AFL players like the other SANFL clubs can be we may need to get better at recruiting the top up players we are allowed. We seem to go for mid sized midfielders rather than talls.

I realise that it is easy to blame Ken Hinkley for everything that goes wrong but in this instance I think whoever Coaches the Port Magpies is hamstrung by Ken's indirect game plan and his lack of flexibility. The sad fact is that Hinkley, his coaching staff and the AFL listed players have no appreciation of the tradition of the PAFC in the SANFL. They say they know Port but their focus is on the AFL and the SANFL is what it is, a feeder league for the AFL side.

Tbh I am not sure what happens next year as Hinkley will still hold sway and the Port Magpies are really at the mercy of the AFL list management.
Agreed, injuries to AFL listed players plus too many top ups that weren't even sanfl magoos standard killed this season for the Maggies, plus as you say players out of position, eg Lord.

I'm assuming kok mouthed off to the sanfl because of the lack of quality of top up players available under their draconian rules, but as per usual he has followed that up with sfa!

On the other side of the coin you would be old enough to remember the mid to late 60's and early 70's when the deadlegs, norf and west torrens had their reserves full of players in their late 20's, with some even 30 plus.

Imagine eg being an 18 yo skinny kid trying to get a kick and having to keep an eye out for the whereabouts of Morrie Francou, Hank Lindner and Johhny Graham who would have been looking to add another head to their already very full lists of who they had knocked over.

The deadlegs were the worst on the age front though, back then their magoo's captain had a full head of grey hair and had to be 30 plus, and they had a bloke named McGuiness who was apparently in his mid 30's.

Can anyone who regularly watched the Magpies give a bit of a rundown on how the Power listed players went over the year? I only got to watch two games

Can anyone who regularly watched the Magpies give a bit of a rundown on how the Power listed players went over the year? I only got to watch two games

Motlop: Played 3 games as a mid and was a level above in 2 of them.
Duursma: Played 8 games and struggled due to his neck problem.
Sinn: Disappointing year due to his groin, played 3 games at half back/wing and was thrown forward during his last game.
Finlayson: Played 2 games, kicked a bag of 6 in his 2nd game.
McKenzie: Played 5 games and was pretty solid in those games.
Fantasia: Played 4 games, couldn't get on the park in the first one, was decent in the middle in the 2nd one, and kicked 3 in his 3rd game up forward.
Bergman: Disappointing year after battling a shoulder problem and a mystery illness, played 6 games off half back, including 1 as a key defender.
Georgiades: Played 3 games, kicking 8 goals, above this level.
Williams: Played 18 games, Led the goal kicking with 20 goals, but also played ok in the back pocket the last 2 months.
Farrell: Played 2 games and was a level above.
Hayes: Played 11 games, mostly in the ruck, Was good for the most part, but around the ground work lacking.
Teakle: Played 4 games as a fwd/ruck, Was terrific there bagging 8 goals.
Lycett: Played 1 game in the ruck and was poor, then his season ended.
Lord: Played 18 games, Showed great promise as a CHF, but then went down back in the last 2 months and was badly beaten when he was there.
Skinner: Played 15 games, Was BOG in a trial game, but it didn't carry over into the season at all.
Mayes: Played 11 games and was a great asset in the middle most weeks.
Jones: Played 3 games, I can't really remember how he went in 2 of them, but I remember him being really good at half back in his 2nd game.
Schofield: Played 17 games as a mid/half forward, thought he was a solid contributor but unfortunately got delisted.
Visentini: Played 16 games and had a good first year in the ruck, also went forward in some games and kicked 10 goals.
Jackson: Played 14 games, didn't really look SANFL standard apart from his game against Centrals where he had 17 touches and 2 goals at half forward.
McEntee: Played 9 games at half forward and I wasn't impressed at all.
Dumont: Played 5 games in the middle and I reckon he was pretty good.
Mead: Played 8 games as a mid/half forward, was pretty decent, Was really good against West Adelaide in Loxton.
Frederick: Played 14 games, thought he started the year off alright but dropped off.
Pasini: Played 6 games and showed huge improvement before doing his ACL.
Jase Burgoyne: Played 10 games in the backline and showed better use with ball compared to his few games last year where his defensive efforts were the highlights. Also loves to take some big grabs.

Last edited:
Sinn: Disappointing year due to his groin, played 3 games at half back/wing and was thrown forward during his last game.
Finlayson: Played 2 games, kicked a back of 6 in his 2nd game.
Fantasia: Played 4 games, couldn't get on the park in the first one, was decent in the middle in the 2nd one, and kicked 3 in his 3rd game up forward.
Bergman: Disappointing year after battling a shoulder problem and a mystery illness, played 6 games off half back, including 1 as a key defender.
Williams: Played 18 games, Led the goal kicking with 20 goals, but also played ok in the back pocket the last 2 months.
Hayes: Played 11 games, mostly in the ruck, Was good for the most part, but around the ground work lacking.
Lord: Played 18 games, Showed great promise as a CHF, but then went down back in the last 2 months and was badly beaten when he was there.
Skinner: Played 15 games, Was BOG in a trial game, but it didn't carry over into the season at all.
Jones: Played 3 games, I can't really remember how he went in 2 of them, but I remember him being really good at half back in his 2nd game.
Schofield: Played 17 games as a mid/half forward, thought he was a solid contributor but unfortunately got delisted.
Visentini: Played 16 games and had a good first year in the ruck, also went forward in some games and kicked 10 goals.
Jackson: Played 14 games, didn't really look SANFL standard apart from his game against Centrals where he had 17 touches and 2 goals at half forward.
Mead: Played 8 games as a mid/half forward, was pretty decent, Was really good against West Adelaide in Loxton.
Frederick: Played 14 games, thought he started the year off alright but dropped off.
Excellent summary. I would rather see Lord as a forward. Despite the encouraging assessment of him as a defender by the coaches, I think he looked lost and failed to win the position. Williams has talent but is also best suited to being a forward.

Finlayson: Played 2 games, kicked a bag of 6 in his 2nd game.

Thanks Ross, when you look through that list it gives lie to the SANFL theory that the Port Magpies side will be dominated by AFL listed players. When you look at games played only 7 AFL listed players managed 14 or more games for the Port Magpies. In one game, v North at Prospect we fielded just 6 AFL listed players.

Matt Lokan paid for the lack of success with his job but it has to be said he did not have an easy task. A larger than usual injury toll, the effects of the AFL's Covid protocols plus conforming to the Hinkley doctrine did not help Lokan but that said he had to go.

Last edited:
Rearranging Ross's list from post #9

100+ AFL games experience and age at start of season
31 Motlop: Played 3 games as a mid and was a level above in 2 of them.
29 Lycett: Played 1 game in the ruck and was poor, then his season ended.
30 McKenzie: Played 5 games and was pretty solid in those games.
26 Dumont: Played 5 games in the middle and I reckon he was pretty good.
27 Mayes: Played 11 games and was a great asset in the middle most weeks.

50-99 AFL games at start of season
26 Fantasia: Played 4 games, couldn't get on the park in the first one, was decent in the middle in the 2nd one, and kicked 3 in his 3rd game up forward.
26 Finlayson: Played 2 games, kicked a bag of 6 in his 2nd game.

21-49 AFL games at start of season
21 Duursma: Played 8 games and struggled due to his neck problem.
23 Farrell: Played 2 games and was a level above.
20 Georgiades: Played 3 games, kicking 8 goals, above this level.
20 Bergman: Disappointing year after battling a shoulder problem and a mystery illness, played 6 games off half back, including 1 as a key defender.

11-20 AFL games at start of season
N/A

1-10 AFL games at start of season

21 McEntee: Played 9 games at half forward and I wasn't impressed at all.
21 Frederick: Played 14 games, thought he started the year off alright but dropped off.
20 Williams: Played 18 games, Led the goal kicking with 20 goals, but also played ok in the back pocket the last 2 months.
24 Skinner: Played 15 games, Was BOG in a trial game, but it didn't carry over into the season at all.
20 Jones: Played 3 games, I can't really remember how he went in 2 of them, but I remember him being really good at half back in his 2nd game.

Hadn't played AFL
22 Hayes: Played 11 games, mostly in the ruck, Was good for the most part, but around the ground work lacking.
22 Teakle: Played 4 games as a fwd/ruck, Was terrific there bagging 8 goals.
21 Pasini: Played 6 games and showed huge improvement before doing his ACL.
20 Mead: Played 8 games as a mid/half forward, was pretty decent, Was really good against West Adelaide in Loxton.
20 Lord: Played 18 games, Showed great promise as a CHF, but then went down back in the last 2 months and was badly beaten when he was there.
19 Sinn: Disappointing year due to his groin, played 3 games at half back/wing and was thrown forward during his last game.
19 Schofield: Played 17 games as a mid/half forward, thought he was a solid contributor but unfortunately got delisted.
18 Visentini: Played 16 games and had a good first year in the ruck, also went forward in some games and kicked 10 goals.
18 Jackson: Played 14 games, didn't really look SANFL standard apart from his game against Centrals where he had 17 touches and 2 goals at half forward.

18 Jase Burgoyne - Ross missed him. Played 10 games. His sanfl states page

Number of AFL games played in 2022.

Motlop 14, Lycett 4, Mckenzie 7, Dumont 8, Mayes 3.

Fantasia 1, Finlayson 20.

Duursma 11, Farrell 16, Georgiades 19, Bergman 10.

McEntee 9, Frederick 6, Williams 0, Skinner 2, Jones 14.

Hayes 7, Teakle 4, Pasini 0, Mead 11, Sinn 1, Schofield 0, Visentini 0, Jackson 0, Burgoyne 8.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back