Training 2022 Training Reports

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
IF Brodie has a good career at Freo it is a bonus. Pick 19 is what we wanted, taking Brodie out of GC’s salary cap was the price for it.

The situation with pick 19 came about because GC weren’t using pick 19. How the AFL let a club get in the situation where the first pick in the second round wasn’t useable is beyond me.

Anyway my point is the Brodie rumours started as early as August. Seems too much of a coincidence that a Victorian at GC was rumoured to be coming to Freo, then it actually happened. It was going on for months. We just took advantage of the situation of club clearly desperate to clear salary cap space and list spots at the same time.

I’m not sure pick 19 was what we wanted as such - we probably never ask the question if we weren’t chasing Brodie in the first place. It was just something that popped up and was too good not to pursue.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was talk it was going to be as a Delisted Free Agent, where GC would delist Brodie on the agreement we’d pick him up and pay his contract.

The situation with pick 19 came about because GC weren’t using pick 19. How the AFL let a club get in the situation where the first pick in the second round wasn’t useable is beyond me.

Anyway my point is the Brodie rumours started as early as August. Seems too much of a coincidence that a Victorian at GC was rumoured to be coming to Freo, then it actually happened. It was going on for months. We just took advantage of the situation of club clearly desperate to clear salary cap space and list spots at the same time.

I’m not sure pick 19 was what we wanted as such - we probably never ask the question if we weren’t chasing Brodie in the first place.
It was very much right time at the right place, GC had arranged to offload pick 19 to North Melbourne with some other player (forget their name) anyway said player refused to go so we moved quick to offer a future 2nd for 19 and Brodie.

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’m not sure pick 19 was what we wanted as such - we probably never ask the question if we weren’t chasing Brodie in the first place. It was just something that popped up and was too good not to pursue.
I thought the talk was we were going to try and get him as a delisted free agent but then suddenly pick 19 becomes available and he becomes part of that deal

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought the talk was we were going to try and get him as a delisted free agent but then suddenly pick 19 becomes available and he becomes part of that deal

All of the above…

They were looking to delist him, but would then have his contracted salary on the books.

Bundle him up with pick 19, it then makes sense for both parties.

Simples.

I assume he has some defensive components to his game, and would like to think that if he can’t be the first point extracta that he makes sure the contest is halved. Ie if he can’t extract it the opposition can’t either.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be delisted from Gold Coast to clear space and not be best 18 isn’t a great reflection for young Brodie . Clearly needs to get a running coach and just run to build his tank. Based on the match sim article can play and contest clearly doesn’t have the tank. 2022 should be the year he just runs … and runs, and runs…..then once he’s finished should go for another run. Otherwise a swift delisting come 2023.

They would only delist him if they knew he was going to be picked up elsewhere. If nobody picked him up because they didn't see the value in him or his value on their list was less than what happens to Gold Coast with next year's salary in the 2021 Total Player Payments - they'd have broken the salary cap and the AFL would need to come down hard on them.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
All of the above…

They were looking to delist him, but would then have his contracted salary on the books.

Bundle him up with pick 19, it then makes sense for both parties.

Simples.

I assume he has some defensive components to his game, and would like to think that if he can’t be the first point extracta that he makes sure the contest is halved. Ie if he can’t extract it the opposition can’t either.
Brodie will play inside mid, how many Bulls have elite speed ?
They only need to make the next contest, or be able to read the play.
They need endurance sure, but speed is usually not top of the list for inside midfielders.
Elite hands, strength, tackling, footballer first is what we need and we need to give Will a chance.
We have elite speed on the flanks or wings, but they are useless unless we get our hands on the ball.
It’s funny how good footballers get missed or not rated, or easily dismissed.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
A former top 10 player with several season of development in him, yet still such a big unknown factor to him is pretty interesting. I'm happy to lean in the optimistic direction. Second chances have a lot of power.
Absolutely but he needs to earn his spot. Last season we were too small in the centre, we don't want to be too slow this season as well.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Absolutely but he needs to earn his spot. Last season we were too small in the centre, we don't want to be too slow this season as well.
I wonder if;
  • Cerra leaving.
  • Mundy and Fyfe entering the "now or never " phases of their careers
  • more players getting to be realistic options for best 22.
  • the outlined future vision.

...may lead to changes to our best 22? Slightly more conservative perhaps.

With that in mind it will be interesting to see when Johnson and Amiss debut. Cerra was fast tracked, but I'm not sure Johnson will be to the same extent.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well Fyfe missed games last year, and with him playing a combative style it’s not the smart play.
Will can help, has the size to spread the load and play the percentages.
I’d also expect Erasmus to play midfield minutes.
We need more midfield rotations, even Young, Tucker, maybe in the mix?
It would also be nice to have players in form at Peel, something that rarely occurs.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well Fyfe missed games last year, and with him playing a combative style it’s not the smart play.
Will can help, has the size to spread the load and play the percentages.
I’d also expect Erasmus to play midfield minutes.
We need more midfield rotations, even Young, Tucker, maybe in the mix?
It would also be nice to have players in form at Peel, something that rarely occurs.
It's okay to play bigger bodies in the mid but you will need to compensate with fast wingers imo. The game is getting quicker every year and we can't fall behind.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have noticed that Sturt had been in the rehab group pretty much all pre season so far. It’s over 8 months since his meniscus knee injury and surgery and that should have been well and truly cleared up months ago. That surgery is a 12-16 week recovery normally. I wonder whats affecting him now?
He’s got to be one of the most injury prone players ever listed by Freo

On a separate note it’s promising to see an inprovement in Fyfeys goalkicking. He’s such an outstanding player that he will always get himself 4 or 5 shots a game through his elite contested marking ability if he was played in the forward line. Improving his conversion rate would be massive for us.

FreoMatt

All Australian
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Just on Brodie I know there has been a knock on his fitness and clearly he needs to get as fit as possible, but remember he averaged well over 30+ in the VFL last year and even had a couple of games 40+. I don’t care what level it is but if you get the ball that much either you are standing in the middle with nobody on you and you team mates keep kicking it to you….or you are getting around the ground ok

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just on Brodie I know there has been a knock on his fitness and clearly he needs to get as fit as possible, but remember he averaged well over 30+ in the VFL last year and even had a couple of games 40+. I don’t care what level it is but if you get the ball that much either you are standing in the middle with nobody on you and you team mates keep kicking it to you….or you are getting around the ground ok

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Fair point, he will need to replicate those numbers in the WAFL though as I doubt he will walk straight in round one. JLO rewards players though so I expect an early appearance from Mr Brodie in the season.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
McPherson was the player Gold Coast were going offload first (to North) as a salary dump (before Brodie). But he refused to go.

I think they are playing the long game with Sturt and he is on a modified program for a reason. Same goes with Hamling. We’ll see them in full training at times but other sessions in the rehab group being held back.

As much as I see Sturt as a key figure of our forward line I’d much rather him start the year in the 2’s and building up. Than playing in round one and two before breaking down.

Dayts

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have noticed that Sturt had been in the rehab group pretty much all pre season so far. It’s over 8 months since his meniscus knee injury and surgery and that should have been well and truly cleared up months ago. That surgery is a 12-16 week recovery normally. I wonder whats affecting him now?
He’s got to be one of the most injury prone players ever listed by Freo

On a separate note it’s promising to see an inprovement in Fyfeys goalkicking. He’s such an outstanding player that he will always get himself 4 or 5 shots a game through his elite contested marking ability if he was played in the forward line. Improving his conversion rate would be massive for us.

Thought about this today. Surely it’s not still the knee? I figured he injured himself again and the clubs just not mentioning. Or they’ve wrapped him in cottonwool till deeper into preseason.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm hoping they have a modified program to really build up his body's resilience before putting him into match sims. Might be a change from the old S&C team that they make sure you are 110% before risking players in full contact/sims.....or maybe he is just injured. :think:

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm hoping they have a modified program to really build up his body's resilience before putting him into match sims. Might be a change from the old S&C team that they make sure you are 110% before risking players in full contact/sims.....or maybe he is just injured. :think:
The same could be said of Valente, a debut this year has to be on the cards?
Be a shame to never play in the Purple.
Really feel like this is his last year to prove himself.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The same could be said of Valente, a debut this year has to be on the cards?
Be a shame to never play in the Purple.
Really feel like this is his last year to prove himself.
Based on the preseason reports etc, it seems there’s a decent argument that Valente is currently the last player on the entire list in line for an AFL game, with maybe only Benning and Karl Worner behind him in the overall pecking order.
Doesn’t bode well for him

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will be interesting to see if Erasmus debuts in R1. Jlo has shown himself to be a very conservative coach when it comes to selection. Even serong, as good as he is, didn’t play till round 5 in his rising star winning campaign

Back