Training 2022 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Much better to use your own eyes instead of paying any attention to disposal efficiency imo. Sure they’ll be occasions where people think my opinion that I’ve come to from watching games is bs but I would consider paying too much attention to disposal efficiency as lying to myself.

The stat itself is flawed to begin with and even if it wasn’t it takes no consideration whatsoever of
1.) the difficulty of the disposal, and
2.) the impact on future disposals and the likelihood of said disposal being part of a scoring chain.

When used in isolation disposal efficiency almost tells us zero as to whether a player is a good kick imo.

Champion data do try and do that, they usually just keep most of those stats private.

"So based on where you are, how much pressure you’re under and what sort of kick you’re trying to hit – whether it’s to a lead, or just going to a pack, or a one on one – how often you should hit the target versus how often you actually did."

Edit:

"Most kicks: Luke Ryan (277)
Best short kick: Sam Switkowski (+13.2%)
Best long kick: Lachie Schultz (+12.5%)
Best kick under pressure: Travis Colyer (+14.3%)
Best kick for goal: Andrew Brayshaw (+19.5%)
Best overall kicking efficiency: Mitch Crowden (+10.8%)

Some interesting names appear here for the Dockers, with Switkowski, Schultz and Colyer all in the elite category for ball use by foot. Interestingly, Brayshaw, who has had his fair share of struggles in front of goal prior to 2021, is Fremantle's best in that department this year, while skipper Nat Fyfe is the club's worst"

Edit 2:
Best short kick: Chris Mayne (+8.7%)
Best overall kicking efficiency: Jordan Clark (+10.4%)
Best kick for goal: Lachie Weller (+11.7%)

Last edited:
Thread is pretty much for all things pre-season, not just training reports and reports on training reports. The line is drawn on politics / COVID (to save peoples eyes from unimaginable pain), but friendly discussion on players and football related stuff (like DE) is more than allowed, its encouraged

If you wish to only see training reports, I have started threadmarking them. There should be a drop down box for threadmarks (basically a bookmark) where you can jump straight to a report, that way, you can jump in the thread and head straight to a training report OR discussion on the training reports.

Hope that helps

Champion data do try and do that, they usually just keep most of those stats private.

"So based on where you are, how much pressure you’re under and what sort of kick you’re trying to hit – whether it’s to a lead, or just going to a pack, or a one on one – how often you should hit the target versus how often you actually did."

Edit:

Some interesting names appear here for the Dockers, with Switkowski, Schultz and Colyer all in the elite category for ball use by foot. Interestingly, Brayshaw, who has had his fair share of struggles in front of goal prior to 2021, is Fremantle's best in that department this year, while skipper Nat Fyfe is the club's worst"

Edit 2:

Champion data is always good for a laugh.

Edit:

Edit 2:
Often these stats don't tell us about what we would characteristically define as the best kick technically, but more about what decisions they're making with their disposals during a game. It'd help if they were less proprietary with their definitions and more open/transparent.

Fair enough. I don't see them as unrelated. Pre-season is when we are trying to get an insight into how players, coaches and game plan are coming together. I've also felt that the club has been inclined to look at disposal as more important over recent drafts, in line with evolving game plan requirements. Pre-season is a good time to gauge that development.
I wasn’t having a go, 😁 it’s a valid and moderately interesting pre season subject of discussion. But I think everyone would agree that training reports are waaaaaay more interesting.

Training report - Match sim 02/02
I went to training this morning and watched a long match sim. I sat in the outer where there is now some grass on the slope and some small gum trees. It was very pleasant, if somewhat windy.

It is quite hard to pick up the players as many are in caps, have new haircuts etc, but I will do my best.

2 teams, purple and white. Purple seemed to have more of the best 22, with a starting midfield of our Sean, Caleb and, I think, Andy, although Andy swapped to white part way thru. Purple had Tabs, Lobb, Sonny and Sturt up forward so a significant part of a starting forward line.

At the time that I left things were close to equal on the scoreboard.

Caleb was the dominant midfielder on the ground. Brodie did a couple of nice things, including a good goal and looked serviceable. Meek in white held his own against our Sean and drifted forward to kick a goal. Switta had some good moments. Erasmus got a bit of the ball and looked okay. Western kicked a couple of goals and looked lively. Sonny looked fit and moved well. Connor kicked a long goal but had little of the ball other than that. Tucker got a bit of the ball, and looked reasonable.

Alex played on Tabs and Tabs looked quite good early. Tabs ran laps later in the match sim, looked fine, just management I would think. Rory rolled his ankle or something and did not come out for the last stanza (I left about that time). Brennan played back much to my disappointment.

No sign of Fyfe. Mundy, Treacy and Amiss in the rehab group.

On balance I would say there was a focus on quick ball movement and skills were ordinary in quite windy conditions.

I went to training this morning and watched a long match sim. I sat in the outer where there is now some grass on the slope and some small gum trees. It was very pleasant, if somewhat windy.

It is quite hard to pick up the players as many are in caps, have new haircuts etc, but I will do my best.

2 teams, purple and white. Purple seemed to have more of the best 22, with a starting midfield of our Sean, Caleb and, I think, Andy, although Andy swapped to white part way thru. Purple had Tabs, Lobb, Sonny and Sturt up forward so a significant part of a starting forward line.

At the time that I left things were close to equal on the scoreboard.

Caleb was the dominant midfielder on the ground. Brodie did a couple of nice things, including a good goal and looked serviceable. Meek in white held his own against our Sean and drifted forward to kick a goal. Switta had some good moments. Erasmus got a bit of the ball and looked okay. Western kicked a couple of goals and looked lively. Sonny looked fit and moved well. Connor kicked a long goal but had little of the ball other than that. Tucker got a bit of the ball, and looked reasonable.

Alex played on Tabs and Tabs looked quite good early. Tabs ran laps later in the match sim, looked fine, just management I would think. Rory rolled his ankle or something and did not come out for the last stanza (I left about that time). Brennan played back much to my disappointment.

No sign of Fyfe. Mundy, Treacy and Amiss in the rehab group.

On balance I would say there was a focus on quick ball movement and skills were ordinary in quite windy conditions.
Legend. Thank you!

Can I ask did you notice if Sturt managed to get involved during the match sim?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listed as 195cm now on the FFC site, so 3cm taller than Mundy at 192. 1cm shorter than Amiss who’s listed as 196cm
Interesting because whenever Amiss and Tabs are near each other at training, I reckon I can see a significant height difference towards Tabs i.e. I thought Amiss is only just key position height.

Training Report - Duffield 02/02

Fremantle Dockers recruit Will Brodie on track for early midfield opportunity after impressive match sim​

Headshot of Mark Duffield

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Wed, 2 February 2022 2:27PM
Mark Duffield

Fremantle recruit [PLAYERCARD]Will Brodie[/PLAYERCARD] has been pushing for midfield minutes.
Fremantle recruit Will Brodie has been pushing for midfield minutes. Credit: Simon Santi/The West Australian

Fremantle recruit Will Brodie looks bound for an early season opportunity at AFL level after a strong performance midfield in a hard fought practice match at Cockburn on Wednesday morning.
Brodie kicked two critical goals from the midfield as his White team fought of the Purple team’s down breeze finish to win by a point over four twenty minute quarters which were interrupted by a time out halfway through each.
Blustery conditions at Cockburn meant the game was frequently scrappy but the big bodied Brodie’s performance as Andrew Brayshaw’s main support for White was an eye catcher.

In the dying seconds of the game he also won several critical contested possessions to deny Purple late chances to attack.
Brodie, 23, the ninth player taken overall in the 2016 national draft, left the Suns for greater opportunity at the end of the 2021 season after playing 25 games over five seasons. Gold Coast had sought to progress the careers of blue chip youngsters like Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson in their midfield and Brodie played just five games in 2021 as a result.
[PLAYERCARD]Will Brodie[/PLAYERCARD] has pushed into the Dockers midfield during training.
Will Brodie has pushed into the Dockers midfield during training. Credit: Simon Santi/The West Australian
The Dockers received Brodie and the pivotal number 19 selection in the draft that netted Matt Johnson in exchange for swapping a future second and fourth round pick for two future fourth round picks.
Lloyd Meek, who also played for the White team, had the better of the ruck duel against a trimmed down Sean Darcy early before Darcy fought back after half time. Meek took several marks around the ground and got forward for a goal after a contested mark and goal before Darcy’s stoppage work got Purple rolling after half time.
Joel Hamling missed the game for personal reasons to attend to a family matter but even without him the match highlighted the Dockers defensive riches. At one end Hayden Young, Heath Chapman, Griffin Logue and Luke Ryan held the fort for Purple while at the other end Alex Pearce, Jordan Clark, Brennan Cox, Nathan Wilson and Brandon Walker. James Aish was also absent nursing some achilles tendon soreness.
Other good signs for the Dockers were Sam Sturt who played for Purple and led positively to kick two goals in his first match practice of the pre-season. Forward Matt Taberner also got through two quarters of game time and took a strong contested mark in the opening term.
Meanwhile captain Nathan Fyfe and veteran David Mundy continue to train away from the main group, although Fyfe ran very powerfully and looks to be in good shape to resume full training when the club declares him ready for full body contact.

Fremantle Dockers recruit Will Brodie on track for early midfield opportunity after impressive match sim​

Headshot of Mark Duffield

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Wed, 2 February 2022 2:27PM
Mark Duffield

Fremantle recruit Will Brodie has been pushing for midfield minutes.
Fremantle recruit Will Brodie has been pushing for midfield minutes. Credit: Simon Santi/The West Australian

Fremantle recruit Will Brodie looks bound for an early season opportunity at AFL level after a strong performance midfield in a hard fought practice match at Cockburn on Wednesday morning.
Brodie kicked two critical goals from the midfield as his White team fought of the Purple team’s down breeze finish to win by a point over four twenty minute quarters which were interrupted by a time out halfway through each.
Blustery conditions at Cockburn meant the game was frequently scrappy but the big bodied Brodie’s performance as Andrew Brayshaw’s main support for White was an eye catcher.

In the dying seconds of the game he also won several critical contested possessions to deny Purple late chances to attack.
Brodie, 23, the ninth player taken overall in the 2016 national draft, left the Suns for greater opportunity at the end of the 2021 season after playing 25 games over five seasons. Gold Coast had sought to progress the careers of blue chip youngsters like Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson in their midfield and Brodie played just five games in 2021 as a result.
Will Brodie has pushed into the Dockers midfield during training.
Will Brodie has pushed into the Dockers midfield during training. Credit: Simon Santi/The West Australian
The Dockers received Brodie and the pivotal number 19 selection in the draft that netted Matt Johnson in exchange for swapping a future second and fourth round pick for two future fourth round picks.
Lloyd Meek, who also played for the White team, had the better of the ruck duel against a trimmed down Sean Darcy early before Darcy fought back after half time. Meek took several marks around the ground and got forward for a goal after a contested mark and goal before Darcy’s stoppage work got Purple rolling after half time.
Joel Hamling missed the game for personal reasons to attend to a family matter but even without him the match highlighted the Dockers defensive riches. At one end Hayden Young, Heath Chapman, Griffin Logue and Luke Ryan held the fort for Purple while at the other end Alex Pearce, Jordan Clark, Brennan Cox, Nathan Wilson and Brandon Walker. James Aish was also absent nursing some achilles tendon soreness.
Other good signs for the Dockers were Sam Sturt who played for Purple and led positively to kick two goals in his first match practice of the pre-season. Forward Matt Taberner also got through two quarters of game time and took a strong contested mark in the opening term.
Meanwhile captain Nathan Fyfe and veteran David Mundy continue to train away from the main group, although Fyfe ran very powerfully and looks to be in good shape to resume full training when the club declares him ready for full body contact.
We're in pretty good shape if Meek lifts his game to the point where he's challenging Darcy. Would be hard to believe that kind of meteoric rise after his performance against St Kilda though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back