Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
Absurdly early or not, the decision by our recruiters to overlook our most glaring deficiency (a high marking 200cm KEY FORWARD) in favour of a scrapping, mid-sized defender was just plain dumb.

Absurdly early or not, the decision by our recruiters to overlook our most glaring deficiency (a high marking 200cm KEY FORWARD) in favour of a scrapping, mid-sized defender was just plain dumb.
We had like two defenders on the list outside the best 22 in Hamling and Wilson before that draft. We have heaps of forwards, just not seemingly quality ones. We'll see how Keeler and Lemmey turn out, maybe, given they went 12 and 14 picks after Davies, they're not quality ones

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
We had like two defenders on the list outside the best 22 in Hamling and Wilson before that draft. We have heaps of forwards, just not seemingly quality ones. We'll see how Keeler and Lemmey turn out, maybe, given they went 12 and 14 picks after Davies, they're not quality ones
But you know how you find out and also get the benefit of having them play in your team? You draft them.

There was nothing preventing us from drafting any of those guys (or even a collection of them) and finding out.

But you know how you find out and also get the benefit of having them play in your team? You draft them.

There was nothing preventing us from drafting any of those guys (or even a collection of them) and finding out.
But we had a glaring deficiency in defence as well with absolutely nothing in there but a couple of 30 year olds. If they didnt rate Lemmey and Keeler then drafting them ahead of talent they rated higher AND needed for list balance is crazy isnt it?

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dockernut maybe a strong argument could be made for taking one of them over Emmet

Emmett is copping it for no reason. His a strong bodied small with forward craft. Reminds me a bit of Ballas. Had next to no pre season and still a bit underdone. He will kick four for Peel in the next few weeks and we will be screaming for him to be playing in the senior side.

Reidy is absolutely our current Scott Jones. Comes in if Darcy goes down until Knobell is ready to play seniors at which stage he is delisted. If Knobell delivers on his potential we can safely trade Hodor for a first and still have 2 quality rucks.

If one of Draper and Davies plays seniors and the other is a Will Schofield type back up we are in a great position.

Wagner….. I get it but a bad kick is a bad kick. Giro offered no less

Superficially uninspired draft but very sound at a deeper look.

We need quality smalls this year though. Jackson never loses a contest. A crafty small sitting front and centre has me drooling 🤤

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
A KPD at pick 35 or so was a decent call imo.

Alex Pearce is 28 this season. Even if he returns to his best we need to start developing his replacement.

The fact there was a hole in terms of depth post Hamling’s retirement, which tbh is probably this season, only makes the decision make more sense.

I’m honestly not a massive fan of drafting KPFs for the sake of it. We actually have plenty of them but we lack good ones. I’d give Pick 20-odd this year a higher chance of making it than anyone we could’ve got with our picks last year anyway - we better actually draft a KPF now I’ve said that.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
But we had a glaring deficiency in defence as well with absolutely nothing in there but a couple of 30 year olds. If they didnt rate Lemmey and Keeler then drafting them ahead of talent they rated higher AND needed for list balance is crazy isnt it?
I think it is much easier to acquire a ready made defender than it is a forward though. We also seem reconciled to Draper being a defender plus Treacy seems to have potential.

I reckon if the club seriously rated Keeler or Lemmey they would have pressed the buzzer.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Not for us though, we have 2 rucks for the next 10 years, instead he will leave for another pick in the 40s

Just didn't make any sense at the time and especially not now
Players get injured. 3 rucks on a list is fine. Reidy is the strange one

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Players get injured. 3 rucks on a list is fine. Reidy is the strange one
No, Reidy is the one that makes sense

He is the mature backup that no other team is going to come knocking for, can play the fwd/ruck role and cost nothing

We also have Benning and Knobel on the list so that makes 5, then Treacy does the fwd/ruck at Peel

3 rucks, 3 fwd/rucks on the list

Its too much

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, Reidy is the one that makes sense

He is the mature backup that no other team is going to come knocking for, can play the fwd/ruck role and cost nothing

We also have Benning and Knobel on the list so that makes 5, then Treacy does the fwd/ruck at Peel

3 rucks, 3 fwd/rucks on the list

Its too much
I think club came to the decision that Benning was more unlikely than likely to make it. He also was being tried KPD. So forget Benning. Kuek shows excitement but he really is a developing tall forward. He does the very odd boundary throw-in but otherwise plays mobile KPF no guarantee he will make it.

Strange to get all worked up about the selection of Knobel at 42 and Davies at 33. Emmett also playing reasonably well today and he needs time after a disrupted PS.

Also watching Hugh Davies today and he has played well. Good defending and a couple intercept marks. One he didn’t mark but he chopped across and helped a defender out. Although he didn’t mark he got his hands in the way and prevented the mark from leading forward.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I think club came to the decision that Benning was more unlikely than likely to make it. He also was being tried KPD. So forget Benning. Kuek shows excitement but he really is a developing tall forward. He does the very odd boundary throw-in but otherwise plays mobile KPF no guarantee he will make it.

Strange to get all worked up about the selection of Knobel at 42 and Davies at 33. Emmett also playing reasonably well today and he needs time after a disrupted PS.

Also watching Hugh Davies today and he has played well. Good defending and a couple intercept marks. One he didn’t mark but he chopped across and helped a defender out. Although he didn’t mark he got his hands in the way and prevented the mark from leading forward.
I like the Davies pick

Not sold on Emmett but don't really have anything against the pick

The ruck was just the one that has me going wtf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did Emmett show anything today? Mature ager coming into the club via the national draft are not meant to spend the entire year at Peel

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did Emmett show anything today? Mature ager coming into the club via the national draft are not meant to spend the entire year at Peel
Had no pre season and only started showing glimpses of being good in the second half of last year. Went goalless in his first 5 games in the SANFL last year then 17 from his last 9 games. Strange pick to me still though. Doesn't really fill a need at all.

Thought he looked pretty good today though.

Silencer83

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
They put all their eggs into the "we can turn LJ into that" basket and are trying to fast forward the timeline.

LJ is giving more for us this season than Lobb is giving the Bulldogs and a bit less in the forward line than Lobb gave last season in his career best season. It might work out.

The baggage that LJ comes with is the price tag. So he has to become that difference making star or it will be regarded as a failure.

As an avowed doubter, I am seeing improvement from him as the season is progressing. He didn't get a lot of possessions today but was impacting contests and doing little things that helped others. Maybe their crazy plan works out and we are laughing about our doubts in three years time?

kuhni

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
They put all their eggs into the "we can turn LJ into that" basket and are trying to fast forward the timeline.

LJ is giving more for us this season than Lobb is giving the Bulldogs and a bit less in the forward line than Lobb gave last season in his career best season. It might work out.

The baggage that LJ comes with is the price tag. So he has to become that difference making star or it will be regarded as a failure.

As an avowed doubter, I am seeing improvement from him as the season is progressing. He didn't get a lot of possessions today but was impacting contests and doing little things that helped others. Maybe their crazy plan works out and we are laughing about our doubts in three years time?

I see glimpses of this midfield potential. Agile and strong, saw him push through multiple blocks.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Getting better every week. His kicking was much improved and he is tough as. 3 goals was a good return and at least two were set shots that I saw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back