Training 2023 Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In the west.

“O’Meara, 29, immediately got work some strapping on his left ankle by a trainer before jogging the ground.”

Why does the west insist on turn off the grammar checker?

Fremantle Dockers track watch: Jaeger O’Meara, Brennan Cox spark injury concerns eight days out from round one​

A star recruit and a key pillar in defence were hurt at Fremantle training. ELIZA REILLY reports from the Dockers’ last big session before round one.

A summer that had largely gone to plan was rocked on Saturday after Fremantle suffered several injury scares at training just eight days out from round one.

Prized recruit Jaeger O‘Meara and key defensive pillar Brennan Cox both spent time with the physios during Saturday’s session.

Cox, who has endured an interrupted summer due to a knee infection suffered in a skateboard accident, was the first to seek attention. The key defender completed Freo’s warm-up but as the group was being addressed by coaches, Cox retreated and ran the length of the square by himself.

He then left the track and sought the opinion of physios on the sidelines, gesturing to his hip/back. Cox completed some run throughs and was able to return to the session.

At the same time, O’Meara limped from an in-tight handballing drill on the far side of Victor George Kailis Oval. The midfielder had his ankle heavily strapped there on the ground before jogging back to the headquarters side of the oval for further assessment.

O’Meara was able to return to some stoppage work later in the session but it may be a watch and wait to see how the veteran recovers ahead of main training later in the week.
Forward Josh Treacy also (knee) also received some attention from the physios but was able to continue training.

Talented trio pushing for round one​

Michael Walters, Luke Ryan and Michael Frederick all appear close, if not certainties, to be considered for round one selection despite missing Freo’s pre-season clashes.

Walters has been battling an Achilles issue but, after warming up in rehab, the veteran was able to join in with the main training group.

Frederick has all but overcome a quad issue that sidelined him for around two weeks. The speedy forward was right in the thick of the session and looks to have locked in his round one spot.

Luke Ryan and Michael Frederick both look set to feature in round one. Picture: Daniel Carlson/AFL Photos
And Ryan has also returned to main training in the past week after missing both scratch matches with a back issue. The defender looked slightly proppy early on during the warm-up but he continued training.

Banfield takes the lead​

Bailey Banfield’s standing within the playing group continues to rise as the forward attempts to find a permanent place in Freo’s line-up.

Banfield was the Dockers’ go-to medical sub last year, starting on the bench in nine games. But his form and unwavering attitude saw him rewarded with a multi-year contract extension.

After Fremantle had finished their warm-up, Banfield pulled the group in and delivered a short but impassioned speech as the Dockers enter their final phase of preparation for 2023.

Banfield’s address focused on forging a strong connection within the group and making every moment count as the days tick down until round one.

He will offer a valuable alternative when our game plan is stomped by the competition and our ball movement needs a little je ne sais quoi
Nice Taylor, this board will be better off for a bit of French.

I don't know what it translates to.
Définition de je ne sais quoi en anglais. French for 'I don't know what': a pleasing quality that cannot be exactly named or described: Although he's not conventionally attractive, he has a certain je ne sais quoi that makes him popular with the ladies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, other clubs had that on the table for him too, so we had to offer the 2

I just hope it was a base contract, otherwise we would look a bit muggish
I'm not against having him on the list and I doubt he's a significant salary cap issue. Nothing wrong with depth.

This season I want Treacy to get as many opportunities as possible, and for Amiss to continue to develop.

Before Corbett I would prefer opportunities going to Sturt and Kuek, and it is pretty established that Banfield is ahead of all of the players mentioned above.

If I was Corbett I would be sharpening my defensive skills or my running power. Can he be a swingman? Can he pinch hit in defence if we get injuries? Can he play wing? Can he be the ideal sub?

As a tweener he is an interesting player and may struggle if he has a single pathway to the best 23.

I'm not against having him on the list and I doubt he's a significant salary cap issue. Nothing wrong with depth.

This season I want Treacy to get as many opportunities as possible, and for Amiss to continue to develop.

Before Corbett I would prefer opportunities going to Sturt and Kuek, and it is pretty established that Banfield is ahead of all of the players mentioned above.

If I was Corbett I would be sharpening my defensive skills or my running power. Can he be a swingman? Can he pinch hit in defence if we get injuries? Can he play wing? Can he be the ideal sub?

As a tweener he is an interesting player and may struggle if he has a single pathway to the best 23.
I agree he shouldn't be getting games ahead of any of those players

I wasn't a massive fan of getting him tbh, just don't see why we would play him over Sturt/Amiss when 2 players go down, only chance for him is a massive injury crisis tbh

Strengthens Peel a little bit I guess

I can see a possible future where Sturt has been moved off the ball by his opponent too frequently when leading up to help up move the ball out of defense, to which the club decide to try Corbett in that role.

Yep I agree, a poorly performing Sturt plus some injuries to Walters / Switkowski / Frederick / Shultz quickly open the doors for a Corbett, although he will still need to battle Banfield as well. Being in the system for a bit gives him an advantage over an Emmett or anyone like that.

People tend to underestimate the impact that injuries will have on spaces in the team at this time of year.

Yep I agree, a poorly performing Sturt plus some injuries to Walters / Switkowski / Frederick / Shultz quickly open the doors for a Corbett, although he will still need to battle Banfield as well. Being in the system for a bit gives him an advantage over an Emmett or anyone like that.

People tend to underestimate the impact that injuries will have on spaces in the team at this time of year.

I don't see Banfield and Corbett competing for the same position. Corbett is a very different player to Walters, Switta, Freddy, Schultz and Banfield imo.

I can see a possible future where Sturt has been moved off the ball by his opponent too frequently when leading up to help up move the ball out of defense, to which the club decide to try Corbett in that role.
Sturt has proven he can push off big defenders and has footy smarts so I don't see that being an issue.

I am bullish on Corbett but he has had an interrupted pre season and we know how that can impact a player's performance (i.e. Treacy). He will have to work his ass off to get a look at the b22 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back