Women's Footy AFLW season 2023 - Season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

What can Brazill give us towards a flag? Good player, but how long realistically can she stick around?
Welp, pessimism over,
WE *IN NAILED IT!!

Very Geelong men's team strategy it seems from someone who didn't follow it this year
Here's hoping it works like 2022
Great observation.

Cats attitude since Cook started was give the team every chance to win a flag.

Makes them stay competitive all the time.

Because of the nature of the WA draft, would be looking for Irish players, code hoppers especially college basketball, and trade in players.

Great observation.

Cats attitude since Cook started was give the team every chance to win a flag.

Makes them stay competitive all the time.

Because of the nature of the WA draft, would be looking for Irish players, code hoppers especially college basketball, and trade in players.
even further,
what we have done has not worked. (that covid year we were robbed)
so let's do something different that we have seen others succeed with.
Next target: Jess Schleisher (unsure or spelling) ex- Willetton girl

We need to win more moments, and that's more likely with senior bodies but I think we are a couple of seasons away from being in full rebuild mode ourselves.

Our three highest impact players are all over thirty.
It feels a little “all in” on that premiership by 2025, before Turbo, Antonio and Tighe all hang up the boots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going to assume the three new recruits slot straight into our starting lineup, given we have given up 2 players and our first 4 picks to bring them in! Anyone got a B22 for our women’s team?
I'll give it a shot

FB Philipa Seth,Emma O'Driscoll

HB Sarah Verrier,Laura Pugh, Madeleine Scanlon

C Gabby Newton, Kiara Bowers,Orlagh Lally

HF Hayley Miller, Makaela Tuhakaraina, Aisling McCarthy

FF Mikayla Morrison ,Aine Tighe

FOL Mim Strom, Dana East, Angelique Stannett

INT Ash Brazill, Gabby O’Sullivan, Megan Kauffman, Jae Flynn, Jessica Low,

I plugged in all the new recruits. Missing back up ruck and arguably a little slow in the midfield. i think its either Kauffman or Brazill. I doubt we will play both

I'll give it a shot

FB Philipa Seth,Emma O'Driscoll

HB Sarah Verrier,Laura Pugh, Madeleine Scanlon

HF Hayley Miller, Makaela Tuhakaraina, Aisling McCarthy

INT Ash Brazill, Gabby O’Sullivan, Megan Kauffman, Jae Flynn, Jessica Low,

I plugged in all the new recruits. Missing back up ruck and arguably a little slow in the midfield. i think its either Kauffman or Brazill. I doubt we will play both
I forgot Ebs! argggh

Gibs is 178cm, we brought her in last year.
Take two

F Jae Flynn, Emma O'Driscoll

HB Sarah Verrier, Laura Pugh, Madeleine Scanlon

HF Hayley Miller, Serena Gibbs, Aisling McCarthy

INT Makaela Tuhakaraina, Gabby O’Sullivan, Megan Kauffman, , Jessica Low, Ebony Antonio

AFLW star Aisling McCarthy opens up on Fremantle trade after tough season for West Coast Eagles​

Aisling McCarthy has revealed that her move from West Coast to Fremantle was more than a year in the making. After first turning down the Dockers, one big factor changed her mind, writes ELIZA REILLY.

4 min read
December 15, 2023 - 9:00AM

Aisling McCarthy has opened up on joining the Dockers, revealing the move from West Coast to Fremantle has been more than one year in the making. Picture: Getty Images

Aisling McCarthy has opened up on joining the Dockers, revealing the move from West Coast to Fremantle has been more than one year in the making. Picture: Getty Images

Aisling McCarthy’s move from West Coast to Fremantle has been more than one year in the making.
But after initially turning down the Dockers to dedicate herself to developing the Eagles’ next generation of midfielders, the Irishwoman admitted that the added leadership took its toll on her own game.
So, for the first time in her career, McCarthy decided to be selfish. And that meant requesting a trade to Fremantle after four seasons and 31 games at West Coast.
“I really grew as a player at the Eagles and developed some leadership qualities being in the leadership group and helping those young players develop,” she said. “But I think I still have a lot of growth in my own footy.
“I think being on a list that’s more mature and gives me the opportunity to bring my strengths means I might not have as much of a load to carry. Maybe I can concentrate on my own performance and getting the best out of myself a little bit more than if I was on West Coast’s list.
“I learnt a lot from the Eagles and developed as a person and a player. But going forward, I’ll have more time to focus on myself and develop the areas of my game I want to work on.”
The Irish, especially in the AFLW, are known to be loyal. It’s why McCarthy initially decided to stay at the Eagles after crossing paths with former Fremantle coach Trent Cooper while back home in Ireland.

“When Trent Cooper was involved, I definitely had conversations but I thought I was in a good position at the Eagles and really wanted to help develop a young side,” she said. “But I struggled a lot personally this year.
“It was a hard year on the park for us. And I thought something different would help me get the best out of myself.
“It’s not an easy decision. When the season was unfolding, I was fully committed to the Eagles and putting my best foot forward for them.
“When I started reflecting on my career and my footy, I thought a change might be something that could invigorate my footy and help me get the best out of myself going forward.”
McCarthy met with Fremantle coach Lisa Webb and former Head of AFLW Bob Murphy at the end of the year and the two parties aligned on one key goal.
“I started to have those conversations with Fremantle and they had a clear vision of where they want to go and how they’re going to get there,” she said. “They don’t shy away from wanting to improve on the last couple of seasons and get back into finals.
“I haven’t played finals throughout my career and that’s a big goal of mine. If I bring my strengths, hopefully I can help get the club back into finals footy and that’s something that motivated me and helped make up my mind.”

Fremantle is also in need of a player like McCarthy given that only one Dockers midfielder, Dana East, ranked in the top 50 for contested possessions in the AFLW this year.
“One thing they mentioned was the way I play my footy,” she said. “Being a bigger body, I’m a point of difference to what they already have on their list.
“They had several players go through that inside midfield position this year but there’s obviously something I can bring.
“My inside midfield craft, I think I can continue to develop that. I’ll learn a lot from Turbo (Kiara Bowers) and Hayley (Miller) in that regard. I also want to get a bit more footy on the outside and link up with the forwards. Also my power and speed, I want to continue developing that.
“I’ll be putting my hand up to play midfield minutes but I can play forward as well.”

Moving to a new club can be daunting but McCarthy jokes she knows “half of the list already.” The 27-year-old played Gaelic Football with now teammates Aine Tighe and Joanne Cregg at the University of Limerick before moving to Australia.
She played against Orlagh Lally. McCarthy also counts Amy Mulholland as one of her closest friends after the pair met in Perth through mutual connection Parris Laurie.
The only thing McCarthy has to prepare for is the prospect of facing her former side in next year’s derby.

“I suppose that was something that played a bit on my mind throughout the process,” she said. “But at the end of the day, it’s a career and you need to do what’s best.
“Letting the Eagles know was quite difficult because I’m obviously grateful for everything they’ve done for me across four years at the club. Once it was all confirmed on Friday, it was definitely a weight off my shoulders.
“When I reached out to the Eagles girls, they understood my position and I got a somewhat blessing. I’ll still always be friends with them but that put my mind at ease.”

AFLW star Aisling McCarthy opens up on Fremantle trade after tough season for West Coast Eagles​

Aisling McCarthy has revealed that her move from West Coast to Fremantle was more than a year in the making. After first turning down the Dockers, one big factor changed her mind, writes ELIZA REILLY.

4 min read
December 15, 2023 - 9:00AM

Aisling McCarthy’s move from West Coast to Fremantle has been more than one year in the making.
But after initially turning down the Dockers to dedicate herself to developing the Eagles’ next generation of midfielders, the Irishwoman admitted that the added leadership took its toll on her own game.
So, for the first time in her career, McCarthy decided to be selfish. And that meant requesting a trade to Fremantle after four seasons and 31 games at West Coast.
“I really grew as a player at the Eagles and developed some leadership qualities being in the leadership group and helping those young players develop,” she said. “But I think I still have a lot of growth in my own footy.
“I think being on a list that’s more mature and gives me the opportunity to bring my strengths means I might not have as much of a load to carry. Maybe I can concentrate on my own performance and getting the best out of myself a little bit more than if I was on West Coast’s list.
“I learnt a lot from the Eagles and developed as a person and a player. But going forward, I’ll have more time to focus on myself and develop the areas of my game I want to work on.”
The Irish, especially in the AFLW, are known to be loyal. It’s why McCarthy initially decided to stay at the Eagles after crossing paths with former Fremantle coach Trent Cooper while back home in Ireland.

“When Trent Cooper was involved, I definitely had conversations but I thought I was in a good position at the Eagles and really wanted to help develop a young side,” she said. “But I struggled a lot personally this year.
“It was a hard year on the park for us. And I thought something different would help me get the best out of myself.
“It’s not an easy decision. When the season was unfolding, I was fully committed to the Eagles and putting my best foot forward for them.
“When I started reflecting on my career and my footy, I thought a change might be something that could invigorate my footy and help me get the best out of myself going forward.”
McCarthy met with Fremantle coach Lisa Webb and former Head of AFLW Bob Murphy at the end of the year and the two parties aligned on one key goal.
“I started to have those conversations with Fremantle and they had a clear vision of where they want to go and how they’re going to get there,” she said. “They don’t shy away from wanting to improve on the last couple of seasons and get back into finals.
“I haven’t played finals throughout my career and that’s a big goal of mine. If I bring my strengths, hopefully I can help get the club back into finals footy and that’s something that motivated me and helped make up my mind.”

Fremantle is also in need of a player like McCarthy given that only one Dockers midfielder, Dana East, ranked in the top 50 for contested possessions in the AFLW this year.
“One thing they mentioned was the way I play my footy,” she said. “Being a bigger body, I’m a point of difference to what they already have on their list.
“They had several players go through that inside midfield position this year but there’s obviously something I can bring.
“My inside midfield craft, I think I can continue to develop that. I’ll learn a lot from Turbo (Kiara Bowers) and Hayley (Miller) in that regard. I also want to get a bit more footy on the outside and link up with the forwards. Also my power and speed, I want to continue developing that.
“I’ll be putting my hand up to play midfield minutes but I can play forward as well.”

Moving to a new club can be daunting but McCarthy jokes she knows “half of the list already.” The 27-year-old played Gaelic Football with now teammates Aine Tighe and Joanne Cregg at the University of Limerick before moving to Australia.
She played against Orlagh Lally. McCarthy also counts Amy Mulholland as one of her closest friends after the pair met in Perth through mutual connection Parris Laurie.
The only thing McCarthy has to prepare for is the prospect of facing her former side in next year’s derby.

“I suppose that was something that played a bit on my mind throughout the process,” she said. “But at the end of the day, it’s a career and you need to do what’s best.
“Letting the Eagles know was quite difficult because I’m obviously grateful for everything they’ve done for me across four years at the club. Once it was all confirmed on Friday, it was definitely a weight off my shoulders.
“When I reached out to the Eagles girls, they understood my position and I got a somewhat blessing. I’ll still always be friends with them but that put my mind at ease.”
DESTINATION CLUB!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back