Women's Footy AFLW season 2023 - Season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s looking stronger eh

I’d like Tux in for Runnalls too

Also I think Scanlon to CHB and Brazill to CHF (Morrison to the bench) that’s a hard to match up forward line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new recruits bring a lot of flexibility to our team, Newton has played forward, back and Middle while McCathy can play forward or midfield and Brazill back or forward. We already have Miller, Stannett, O’Sullivan and Antonio who can switch between forward and Midfield and Hertherington can play forward/Ruck like Tighe.
This all means we can keep fresh legs through the middle and a multitude of combinations to combat different opposition.

Good looking team, I’d probably prefer Tux on the bench instead of Runnalls, allows O’Sullivan to spend more time in the midfield. Everything else I like.
It highlights our lack of depth in the ruck department. If Storm is injured we are playing Tighe or Hetherington in the ruck.
I’m hoping Tuhakaraina will get some serious minutes next year, including plenty of time to apprentice a midfield spot.

No thank you for the coaches who have left?
Fair point but they did acknowledge the changes in December

"AFLW assistant coaches Jay Van Berlo and Matt Templeton will depart the Club with Van Berlo travelling overseas and Templeton being appointed Head Coach of East Fremantle’s WAFLW team.

Fremantle will replace the AFLW assistant coaches and Player Development Manager roles in the new year."

lets jut hope they play better this year and return to the top team they were in season 3 and 4.

been too long for the girls. so many changes.

I feel like this may be Duffy all over again, I was devastated when she left, then she only played a couple of games for Melbourne and was delisted.
Been a while since I posted in here; I enjoy following the women's variant, although it's been tough viewing since 2020/21!!

I like the additions the club made in the off-season. A few who are a bit more experienced/tougher and perhaps have better skills to throw in the mix. We'll see how it pans out.

Regards Duffy, her story is so sad on so many levels. I was equally as galled/gutted by her leaving and then seeing her so woefully out of shape at Melbourne. Such a sad decline, reminds me of Harley Bennell a little - so much talent and excitement around them, but flawed and ultimately affected by something that scuppers their careers. That 2019-2020 period when we had her, Sharp and Gemma was as exciting a forward line as a Freo team of any gender has produced. I really thought it was Premiership material, to see it be broken up and fractured over time still hurts a bit. Especially when Covid cancelled the 2020 season where the girls were borderline imperious. So close and yet so far. I wish Sereena the best and thank her for what she did here, but it was definitely a sore point and a very disappointing way to see her AFLW career play out.

Last week I was speaking with a former Freo player who defected to West Coast before retiring a couple of years ago, who told me what an amazing culture Freo have compared to WC.

She said indigenous engagement at West Coast was nearly non-existent, as was the acceptance of female football in general (pretty much WC had to do it because it was expected by the AFL).

She said it may have changed since she retired which she doubted but told me that she would always recommend Freo over WC if they had a choice between the two.

Last week I was speaking with a former Freo player who defected to West Coast before retiring a couple of years ago, who told me what an amazing culture Freo have compared to WC.

She said indigenous engagement at West Coast was nearly non-existent, as was the acceptance of female football in general (pretty much WC had to do it because it was expected by the AFL).

She said it may have changed since she retired which she doubted but told me that she would always recommend Freo over WC if they had a choice between the two.
I don't know if it will change under Pyke but that is no surprise under Nisbett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back