Game Day 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shameless Plug For Game Preview Voting
While you're here, take a few minutes out of your Draft Day(s) to cast a vote on the 2022 Game Previews poll.

I guess “decision to get rid of him” could possibly be imputed from allowing the trade of a contracted player.

In my mind he had become a distraction and didn’t appear to have bonded well with the rest of the young group. The coaching group would have been riding him hard over his many half hearted, one arm up marking efforts. In short it was time to go and 30 goals is not a huge amount to replace.

I’d say our recruitment has been strong of recent and our player management much improved (Hughes and Banners extensions are the only black spots). We haven’t lost any players since Neale that are really top liners - each of the 2022 departees had elements to them that made them replaceable (even Mundy the magnificent).

The popular external analysis that we have lost a huge amount of depth is also finger nail deep. It fails to factor in that we had top 20 picks from 2021 that were on the sidelines in 2022 but are ready for games - I expect this crop to make us significantly better than the also ran types they will replace (Lobb, Tucker, Acres). Then there’s the new blood coming in in Jackson and O’Meara and Fyfe staying healthier. Lastly there’s the organic improvement coming from 20 odd players that are already proven, but could be expected to increase their output in 2023. A simple best 22 exercise tells me this - the hardest it’s ever been to decide who to leave out.
Our recruiting has been remarkably strong, but not when you consider KPFs. We are poor. That's with an asterisk given a somewhat major shift in strategy in the past couple of years. A strategy that involves actually drafting some.

IMG_0137.JPG

Some real Jesse Hogan vibes there , spend the whole time talking about what your new team can do for you not the other way round like it should be

The coaches didn’t revolve the whole club around me Waaaahhh

What a ****head

You think we made a 'decision to get rid of him'. Interesting take.

Personally I find it weird taking a victory lap about a player leaving (who we were clearly trying to hold onto) rather than it bringing up a question about our recruitment and player management.
His manager said he would stay if we offered him a long -term contract, so that does imply we weren't trying THAT hard to hold on to him.

View attachment 1566647

Some real Jesse Hogan vibes there , spend the whole time talking about what your new team can do for you not the other way round like it should be

What a ****head
Finally something I can agree with wholeheartedly from tonygeeks

His manager said he would stay if we offered him a long -term contract, so that does imply we weren't trying THAT hard to hold on to him.

Dockeroo offers understanding and solace in Logue leaving for dollars. Isn't that what a long term contract is, especially at Lobb's stage of career. Plus he has had a significant other reason in terms of his primary relationship.

I like Logue and I don't particularly like Lobb, but it's a huge double standard.

View attachment 1566647

What a ****head
I wouldn’t have thought there were many ways to play a 200cm forward/ruck who refuses to ruck because his pea heart dislikes physical contact.

View attachment 1566647

What a ****head
It really is crazy that he blames the coaching. He wanted to be a forward so we played him as a forward, we gave him time in the ruck and when he wanted to be a pure forward we played him as a pure forward

He's been the number 1 target and when Tabs had a great 2021 he was the 2nd option. We've kicked it to him with a long bomb AND with pin point kicks.

What does he want? To never leave the goal square? To have the quarter off after kicking a goal?

Our recruiting has been remarkably strong, but not when you consider KPFs. We are poor. That's with an asterisk given a somewhat major shift in strategy in the past couple of years. A strategy that involves actually drafting some.
For me the jury is out on the few talls we have grabbed in recent times. They need up to 4 years to develop. e.g. Amiss (although I'm hoping he delivers a return next year), Treacy, Keuk, Jackson and now Corbett, Emmett etc.

It really is crazy that he blames the coaching. He wanted to be a forward so we played him as a forward, we gave him time in the ruck and when he wanted to be a pure forward we played him as a pure forward

He's been the number 1 target and when Tabs had a great 2021 he was the 2nd option. We've kicked it to him with a long bomb AND with pin point kicks.

What does he want? To never leave the goal square? To have the quarter off after kicking a goal?
Lobb sounds like a flog, his body language, demeanor and apparent attitude on the ground stank. It's no wonder he left. I'd doubt that anyone at the club was sorry to see him go. Wouldn't think that he had any real mates at Freo. Good riddance.

Lobb sounds like a flog, his body language, demeanor and apparent attitude on the ground stank. It's no wonder he left. I'd doubt that anyone at the club was sorry to see him go. Wouldn't think that he had any real mates at Freo. Good riddance.
Well said. First principle is never try to hang on to players who don’t want to stay. Our trading period was excellent this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockeroo offers understanding and solace in Logue leaving for dollars. Isn't that what a long term contract is, especially at Lobb's stage of career. Plus he has had a significant other reason in terms of his primary relationship.

I like Logue and I don't particularly like Lobb, but it's a huge double standard.
Look you might think it’s double standards but for me, a component of successful footy teams is the vibe. The willingness to be a band of brothers, to have your mates back. It’s especially important for the headline leaders on the team, of which the number one KPF is always part of. It’s not like he was a fringe back pocket in and out of the B22.
From the outside, Lobb just never showed that to me. He did a bit on his first year actually. But then he looked like he didn’t want to be here.
Also we did decide to move him on. He was a contacted player and we could have made him stay. I’m glad we didnt and I believe his comments since then have vindicated the decision to let him go.
Your point on KPF recruitment is true though. Since 2019 however we haven’t really had many opportunities. The Hogan mess in 2018 was the big error. It should have been Ben King in hindsight. There hasn’t been many options available to us that we missed out on since then really.
Hopefully one of the other youngsters steps up to the plate along with Amiss who I think will be a star

Lobb: "Bevo, you said the boys would kick it to me, but everyone keeps kicking it to Naughts and Jamarra. It's not fair. I just got a new haircut and my missus wants to see how it looks on the TV when I kick a goal."

Bevo: "Gonna need you to go into the ruck now as Timmy needs a spell."

Look you might think it’s double standards but for me, a component of successful footy teams is the vibe. The willingness to be a band of brothers, to have your mates back. It’s especially important for the headline leaders on the team, of which the number one KPF is always part of. It’s not like he was a fringe back pocket in and out of the B22.
From the outside, Lobb just never showed that to me. He did a bit on his first year actually. But then he looked like he didn’t want to be here.
Also we did decide to move him on. He was a contacted player and we could have made him stay. I’m glad we didnt and I believe his comments since then have vindicated the decision to let him go.
Your point on KPF recruitment is true though. Since 2019 however we haven’t really had many opportunities. The Hogan mess in 2018 was the big error. It should have been Ben King in hindsight. There hasn’t been many options available to us that we missed out on since then really.
Hopefully one of the other youngsters steps up to the plate along with Amiss who I think will be a star
If I was to try and measure the vibe side of the equation losing Logue is the more significant. He is part of the younger brigade and very much a character at the club.

He could have chosen to stay but he took the money from a cellar dwelling club. You think that's justified, but reality is Lobb's financial position and the fact that post football he is planning on life in Melbourne is equally justifiable.

I'm not arguing that he hasn't been a dick about it, but I don't overly care. They are both ex players, and I hope Pearce smashes him and Jackson smashes Logue.

Actually what I'd love is English injured early in our game and Lobb forced to ruck against Darcy and Jackson.

Lobb: "Bevo, you said the boys would kick it to me, but everyone keeps kicking it to Naughts and Jamarra. It's not fair. I just got a new haircut and my missus wants to see how it looks on the TV when I kick a goal."

Bevo: "Gonna need you to go into the ruck now as Timmy needs a spell."
Logue was better in his brief time in the ruck then Lobb ever was. I'd love to know the difference in clearances when Lobb was in ruck compared to Darcy in recent years. I think it would be very significant and Lobb mostly rucks against second rucks where he has a huge height advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back